G37 Sedan

Vinyl Wrap on the Rear Bumper

Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
I can appreciate you trying to be different, but the matte black on white bumper looks kinda unfinished/cheap to me (like the old passat)

I wouldn't say it looks cheap/unfinished. Just about every car today has a matte black valence on the rear bumper. From Mercedes, Audi, BMW to a Kia.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,570 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Amazing number of negative opinions here and elsewhere on this mod. Kind of shocked about it, actually. My concerns aren't so much about the matte black as they are about the quality of the job. Personally, I like the matte look.

There are only two vinyl shops where I live. Tomorrow I'm going to the other one for an opinion on what they can or can't do to fix or redo the work. Probably should have gone to them first.

Hindsight is a b1tch.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sniper27
I wouldn't say it looks cheap/unfinished. Just about every car today has a matte black valence on the rear bumper. From Mercedes, Audi, BMW to a Kia.
And Ford. Let's not forget just about every Ford made today, LOL!

In particular, notice the similarities between our rear valence area and the Ford Fusion:

Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
after looking at the pics again, maybe my comment was a little too much. Not necessarily cheap looking, just 'off'. the lines on the bumper just don't compliment that look.

just my opinion, but most cars with the unpainted bumpers just don't look right to me

(exceptions are the sport models that have obvious rear diffusers/valences like amg, m sport, rs, ...)

BTW nice car OP - I plan to scoop one up soon. how's the 6mt treating you?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I took the car to our local Tint Shop. They have a guy there who does wraps and clear-bras, etc. Been doing it for 10 years. He took one look at the edging and the wrap-around corners, and agreed: the first shop butchered it. So in a couple days he's going to try and repair it by cutting new lines on the corners, and cutting the top edges back 1/4" to a straight line.

The alternative would be to have them re-do the wrap, but really all that's needed IMO is to clean up the first job, which this guy agrees.

As to the matte-black: I still like it. This guy I spoke to likes it. It's a keeper... just needs to get fixed and cleaned up is all, so it doesn't look so amateurish.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I personally like the look. I prefer the diffuser, but this gives you a similar look for cheaper and without the bulk. Hopefully the next guy can do up the edges nice. I think he'll have his work cut out for him, as it will be difficult to get the edges perfect with a razor. I'm sure he can improve it at the least. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I printed this pic to show the new shop the line I wanted. So thanks for that, sniper!

On a slightly more embarrassing note, the Tint Shop removed all the little 3M logos that were on my window tint, with a rag and a little rubbing alcohol. I thought that was something I had to just live with.

Who knew? LOL

Old 06-27-2012, 05:36 PM
sniper27

no problem...good luck
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've a MW 11 G. in my opinion, the diffuser doesnt look right. To keep the G its uniqueness and classier look, I leave it off
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
I've a MW 11 G. in my opinion, the diffuser doesnt look right. To keep the G its uniqueness and classier look, I leave it off
too plain and too much...white (or any other color). the diffuser (black) helps break up the rear a little and makes it looks less fat and bulky, and more sporty.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

too plain and too much...white (or any other color). the diffuser (black) helps break up the rear a little and makes it looks less fat and bulky, and more sporty.
No need to defend your bolt-on. If this thread has demonstrated anything obvious, it's that there are a wide range of opinions on the rear bumper. And while it certainly speaks well of someone when they can reasonably articulate their opinions, the important thing is that you like what you did to your car. Because your car.

Just like I plan on keeping the matte black vinyl, assuming the cut lines can be cleaned up properly in a few days... which was the point of the thread.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
No need to defend your bolt-on. If this thread has demonstrated anything obvious, it's that there are a wide range of opinions on the rear bumper. And while it certainly speaks well of someone when they can reasonably articulate their opinions, the important thing is that you like what you did to your car. Because your car.

Just like I plan on keeping the matte black vinyl, assuming the cut lines can be cleaned up properly in a few days... which was the point of the thread.
If nothing else you found a guy that can do it right. IMO I'd just get a new piece of vinyl and let the new guy do it right. I wouldn't want a razor near that plastic bumper. The new vinyl's only about 20 bucks, or maybe your new installer has it in stock. You & your G will only be happy w/ a completely fresh start IMO.
Good luck!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
If nothing else you found a guy that can do it right. IMO I'd just get a new piece of vinyl and let the new guy do it right. I wouldn't want a razor near that plastic bumper. The new vinyl's only about 20 bucks, or maybe your new installer has it in stock. You & your G will only be happy w/ a completely fresh start IMO.
Good luck!
The guy at the Tint Shop did a great job cleaning up the cut lines on the vinyl. He trimmed the lines back about 1/8" so that it's perfectly straight, and all without scoring the paint, because Pro. And he bobbed the corners with a perfect, straight curve. It looks very clean, and to the common eye it looks like something OEM, which was my goal.

So the wrap is a wrap. (sorry) And it's a keeper.

Moving on.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM
sniper27

no pics?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 PM
DGGal
Minnesota G owners

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
are there plans for other matte black mods? roof overlay possibly? or wrap the door trims?? i personally would have gone with gloss black over matte black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap on the Rear Bumper