G37 Sedan

Vinyl Wrap on the Rear Bumper

Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Vinyl Wrap on the Rear Bumper

Work in progress, but here’s what I’ve got so far. Sharing the experiance, is all. Opinions are always allowed, because forum.

Long before I bought my G a few months ago, I planned on doing something with the recessed, lower valence area of the rear bumper. While I think the 2007-2009 version of the G had the far better bumper design, I have what I have in my 2011.

Plastic rear valence body kits weren’t an option because I think they’re too busy, too tacky. I looked into painting, but that was too expensive. I considered PlastiDip, but that’s not the kind of quality I wanted. So that left vinyl.

BlueBat sells a very reasonable vinyl kit for $45. Maybe I should have bought his, but there’s a vinyl shop not 3 miles from my house, so I was thinking a professional approach would work.

Originally, I wanted a "smoke" look, but after seeing a sheet of matte black against the car, that won me over, and they installed it today. Overall, I like the look. Unfortunately, the quality wasn’t what I was hoping for. The cut-lines are crude, the left and right corners don’t match one-another, there’s a patch on one corner, etc. The shop reduced my price significantly because I wasn’t pleased… from $125 to $70.

Here are the pics:

Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
which is why you should have went with Bluebat's precut overlay. looking at it from behind is not too bad. you should consider not having the vinyl wrap all the way up the bend.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 AM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
excuse for my lack of knowledge, but why do we need this vinyl, is this for protection against rock chips?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Its just for looks.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM
ashmostro

I agree with sniper in that I think it's a bit too large. I also can't believe I'm saying this but i think the matte finish is detracting from the clean look of the white.

I like the idea but not the execution. Sorry dude...

Last edited by ashmostro; 06-26-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I like it man! Looks good!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Sorry OP. I think it was $70 not well spent escpecially since the shop did a half a$$ed job. It looks out of place on the sedan. I would peel it off and stick with white but that's just me.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sniper27
which is why you should have went with Bluebat's precut overlay. looking at it from behind is not too bad. you should consider not having the vinyl wrap all the way up the bend.
I know what you're saying, but disagree on cut location. Applying the vinyl below the curve would look really awkward compared to up and under the lip. IMO.

Where does BlueBat's lay down? And do you know how it wraps around the corners?

Originally Posted by Tazicon
Its just for looks.
This.

Originally Posted by ashmostro
I agree with sniper in that I think it's a bit too large. I also can't believe I'm saying this but i think the matte finish is detecting from the clean look of the white.

I like the idea but not the execution. Sorry dude...
No problem.

Originally Posted by jesse550
I like it man! Looks good!
Thanks.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
Sorry OP. I think it was $70 not well spent escpecially since the shop did a half a$$ed job.
I won't parse words... I am very disappointed in the quality of the application. I expected a vinyl shop would be better than this. Hard to tell from the pictures, but the cut lines are ragged. And the corners suck. And there's a patch on one side.

Step back only a few feet, (like these pictures) and it looks fine. But study the details up close, and it's disappointing. I was shooting for "perfect", and that's not what happened.

First up, I'm going to try and fix the edges with a matte black vinyl pinstripe, which I'll pick up today. The intent is to create that straight line that's missing. Either way, I'm going to live with it for a while before deciding what to do on a more long-term basis.

As for $70 being well-spent or not... you don't know unless you try. And $70 is nothing to get worked up about.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by Rochester
As for $70 being well-spent or not... you don't know unless you try. And $70 is nothing to get worked up about.
Totally agreed. Don't mod if your goal is to save every penny- that's not why we do it.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I won't parse words... I am very disappointed in the quality of the application. I expected a vinyl shop would be better than this. Hard to tell from the pictures, but the cut lines are ragged. And the corners suck. And there's a patch on one side.

Step back only a few feet, (like these pictures) and it looks fine. But study the details up close, and it's disappointing. I was shooting for "perfect", and that's not what happened.

First up, I'm going to try and fix the edges with a matte black vinyl pinstripe, which I'll pick up today. The intent is to create that straight line that's missing. Either way, I'm going to live with it for a while before deciding what to do on a more long-term basis.

Originally Posted by ashmostro
Totally agreed. Don't mod if your goal is to save every penny- that's not why we do it.
That's cool if you guys have money to blow. I, for one, would not support a "professional" shop by paying them to do a sh1tty job. Also, I like to do it right, the first time, so again, if you've got money to play with, I wish I was you. I mod, I'm on a budget, but that doesn't mean I cheap out.

OP, I'm glad you're trying to salvage what they've done. I wouldn't for a second accept their quality of work. I would for sure bring it back and have them do it again, but again, that's you and I'm me.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM
sniper27

Where does BlueBat's lay down? And do you know how it wraps around the corners?
It looks like it lay right below the bend. I like it better because like the other guy said, it doesn't make the black part look too big.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...installed.html
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
sniper27

I know you don't like an actual diffuser piece, but FWIW, mine does not wrap all the way up the bend also. Gloss black for your comparison.

Name:  LosAngeles-20110920-00034.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  54.3 KB
Name:  LosAngeles-20110920-00033.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  65.1 KB
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

That's cool if you guys have money to blow.
Yes. That's very cool.

I, for one, would not support a "professional" shop by paying them to do a sh1tty job. Also, I like to do it right, the first time, so again, if you've got money to play with, I wish I was you. I mod, I'm on a budget, but that doesn't mean I cheap out.

OP, I'm glad you're trying to salvage what they've done. I wouldn't for a second accept their quality of work. I would for sure bring it back and have them do it again, but again, that's you and I'm me.
Having the shop re-do the wrap is an option. The benefit would be lessons learned from the first attempt... such as using two pieces, rather than trying to stretch a single sheet corner to corner. Whatever I decide, I need to live with it for a while before rushing into a decision.

Want to have some fun, cheesehead? Read your post out loud, and emphasize the word "I" really loud as you do it. Just saying.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sniper27
I know you don't like an actual diffuser piece, but FWIW, mine does not wrap all the way up the bend also. Gloss black for your comparison.
Thanks, sniper! That does give me pause to reconsider the bolt-on valence. Feel free to post a few more pictures, if you have them. Straight-on, perhaps.

Did you have it painted gloss black?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap on the Rear Bumper