G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 infiniti g37 sedan Sport vs. Non-Sports? I need some recommendation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a '10 sport and don't find the ride bad at all. I was a little worried cause the car rags don't like it, but they are the same waterheads that think cars with price tags 30% apart are comparable.

For reference, our 2007 RDX has a stiffer ride (another vehicle known for a rough ride).

Here in DFW its all about the concrete expansion joints, which are rougher in the winter.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^All aspects of the sport can be added to a non sport. How deep is your pocket book....
Shallllow!

Just to let you know...I own a "wallet", my wife owns the pocket book!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I have a '10 sport and don't find the ride bad at all.
True. In fact, it's still a little soft for me, even with the Sport-sways and struts.

And that's why we mod our cars over time, to tune them the way we like it.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:06 PM
2011G37xS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were to do it over again, I would NOT get the Sport

I have owned a 2011G37xS for 2.5 years now. I live in the northeast. I'm a 41yo male of average height and weight. Every time I get a loaner (always a G37x non-S from my dealer) I am pleasantly surprised with how well behaved and balanced it is compared to my xS.

As others have stated, the Sport seats are quite different with really tall side bolsters on the bottom cushion. I have a 34" waist and I find them too tight/constraining most of the time. The regular seats are probably a little too flat/soft but they are better than the sports seats 90% of the time as you only need the huge side bolsters for those off ramp dives at 30MPH over and back road shenanigans. The rest of the time they definitely make themselves known and not in a good way.

I also find the xS to be noticeably more twitchy when driving. Not sure if its the wheels/tires, steering or a combination of things, but I find the non-S to be less spastic when I really get on it. The xS seems to make a lot of drama out of hard acceleration and fast cornering and its not clear to me that it is any faster or handles significantly better than the non-S.

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but every time I get into a 3-series, I'm reminded of what a world class car is supposed to handle like. My xS is definitely not that but I bought it because it was ~$15K cheaper than the equivalent BMW and doesn't require bi-weekly trips to the dealer so I shouldn't complain.

If I end up getting another G, I will definitely think twice (and drive with S and without it) before pulling the trigger. Feels like more of a marketing feature than an engineering one to me, and I'm someone who has been driving one for almost three years now. My advice; keep the money in your pocket and add your own sport features if you are so inclined. Wheels, tires, sway bar...just be sure to sit on those sport seats first. Chances are you won't like them...

Last edited by 2011G37xS; 04-09-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^ I think infiniti really dropped the ball on the sedan xS. It's not even remotely close to the coupe xS. Most of the fun bits that make the S what it is are missing from the sedan, but present in the coupe.

The twitchy is likely the all season tires. I have the regular S sedan (rwd only). After changing the sways to dial in a little less body roll, I find the car handles quite well in the corners. Set the turn in, dial in some maintenance throttle throttle through the corner, then hammer out past the apex.

One of the salesfolk I dealt with had a xS sedan on the lot. I test drove it, but didn't think much of it. He told me it was identical to the S but awd. Pulled up both cars on the screen once home and compared the specs.

Main differences include (for the sedan)

* 18 x 7.5" wheels with 225/50/18 on all corners on the xS
18x 7.5" wheels w/ 225/50/18 front and 18 x 8.5" wheels w/ 245/45/18 on the rear for the S

* S has sport tuned suspension, xS does not

* S has a smaller ratio steering (quicker steering response), xS does not

* S has VLSD rear end (not the best, but better than open rear end), xS does not

* S has BBK brakes, xS does not

I think that covers all the major mechanical differences. So as you can see, other than the S badging and 18" wheels, the awd S sedan is nearly identical to the non S sedan.

I'm slightly wider in the waist area and have no problems with the seat bolsters. For 95% of the driving, I leave them mostly deflated. Could also be the seating position - for the MT I have to keep the seat a bit closer so I can reach the clutch properly. If I were driving an auto I'd have the seat slightly more back.

IMO, while the G doesn't excel, it does a pretty good job in most categories for the price point.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Rr1982
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm having a hard time finding out what "sport tuned" is precisely as far as the difference in shocks/struts and springs on the S sedan vs the XS Sedan?
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^ I think infiniti really dropped the ball on the sedan xS. It's not even remotely close to the coupe xS. Most of the fun bits that make the S what it is are missing from the sedan, but present in the coupe.

The twitchy is likely the all season tires. I have the regular S sedan (rwd only). After changing the sways to dial in a little less body roll, I find the car handles quite well in the corners. Set the turn in, dial in some maintenance throttle throttle through the corner, then hammer out past the apex.

One of the salesfolk I dealt with had a xS sedan on the lot. I test drove it, but didn't think much of it. He told me it was identical to the S but awd. Pulled up both cars on the screen once home and compared the specs.

Main differences include (for the sedan)

* 18 x 7.5" wheels with 225/50/18 on all corners on the xS
18x 7.5" wheels w/ 225/50/18 front and 18 x 8.5" wheels w/ 245/45/18 on the rear for the S

* S has sport tuned suspension, xS does not

* S has a smaller ratio steering (quicker steering response), xS does not

* S has VLSD rear end (not the best, but better than open rear end), xS does not

* S has BBK brakes, xS does not

I think that covers all the major mechanical differences. So as you can see, other than the S badging and 18" wheels, the awd S sedan is nearly identical to the non S sedan.

I'm slightly wider in the waist area and have no problems with the seat bolsters. For 95% of the driving, I leave them mostly deflated. Could also be the seating position - for the MT I have to keep the seat a bit closer so I can reach the clutch properly. If I were driving an auto I'd have the seat slightly more back.

IMO, while the G doesn't excel, it does a pretty good job in most categories for the price point.