Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How in the world

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:00 PM
danno62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How in the world

were any of you able to make it through this prolonged 1200 mile "break-in" period? Gee, I've owned a bunch of cars and motorcycles, but this is about the longest drawn out affair I can remember. Being retired has many advantages, but one of them isn't having to drive somewhere everyday. I'm driving around for the heck of it just to put miles on. Only 550miles to go!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lol I did not wait for the break in period. I simply let my foot drive the car
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Break in period? Did I miss something? I was looking for excuses to get out there and drive my G when I first bought it in May. Didn't have to force myself...
you sound disappointed.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
easy. i didn't lol...i tried my best to keep the car under the break-in guidelines, but having heard that driving the car like i would on any given day (past 4k) promoted tighter seals, etc.. haha
Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
easy. i didn't lol...i tried my best to keep the car under the break-in guidelines, but having heard that driving the car like i would on any given day (past 4k) promoted tighter seals, etc.. haha
Its tough but I followed the break in procedure closely during the first 800 miles or so and then started slowly letting the rpms go a bit higher....many theories exist about what works is best....but I think its somewhat wise to follow Infiniti's recommendations. I don't buy the notion that driving the h*** out of the car from day one does anything to help encourage longivity and it might do the opposite. The 15 or so new cars I've purchased in my life have always been broken in more or less according to manufacturers recommendations...and not one ever burned oil. In fact, I had never owned an oil burner until I purchased used the BMW 530i that I traded on the Infiniti in August. I might add that I'm not afraid to use all of the accelerator after the break in period . You'll get there.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are joking right? It's under warranty, What better time to discover engine
or transmission problems then during the 1st three days. That gives you the
option to just hand it back if there is any major issue. Break it in hard, change the
oil a few times at short intervals then drive like normal and get on it when you
want.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

no break in period for me, i guess i missed that clause in the manual
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 PM
danno62

Originally Posted by G37NC
Break in period? Did I miss something? I was looking for excuses to get out there and drive my G when I first bought it in May. Didn't have to force myself...
you sound disappointed.
Don't misunderstand...not disappointed in the car, but trying to follow the manual's break-in procedure i.e. staying under 4,000 rpm and not getting on it, is the disappointment I'm typing about.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
I put my car on the dyno the day I got it. Did three runs and got 262 hp and 239 ft lb torque. I don't believe in break in periods and my car has been running flawlessly since then with no problems.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
JDM4life

gangsta what year g do you have? sedan or coupe? your telling me you lost almost 70 hp through your drivetrain from the crank?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 AM
danno62

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
You are joking right? It's under warranty, What better time to discover engine
or transmission problems then during the 1st three days. That gives you the
option to just hand it back if there is any major issue. Break it in hard, change the
oil a few times at short intervals then drive like normal and get on it when you
want.
That statement is senseless. Run it like hell for 72 hours to see if it will break...then change the oil a few times in a short period and drive it normal? Boy, hard to argue with logic (?) like that. Not! What engineering school of thought was this sourced from?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
08 g35xS yup almost 50 hp lost. I felt sad about that but I got used to it. Hopefully when I supercharge my car it would make it up.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:51 AM
dwildemn

right on danno62! fits right in with the 'drive it like it's stolen' approach to breaking in. Immediate gratification uber alles. Probably something to do with maturity level.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:05 AM
wzupdoc

I'm betting that people who own their cars (versus lease) are more careful about breaking in their car and that is why you should never buy a car that was leased. Infiniti uses Diamond Like Coating (DLC) on some engine components to reduce friction. From what I've read on some SAE forums it requires careful break-in. When you read peoples theories that you can (should) run a car hard even when it's new probably base their theory on experience with old American made V8s (which I personally like btw). The Nissan/Infiniti engineers don't use "bro science" to come up with break-in recommendations so if you plan to keep your car for awhile you're better off following their advice.

A little more info on DLC here: Nissan's Hydrogen-Free DLC Coating Wins Meti Award | HULIQ
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM
baksdak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully no one test drove your car before you bought it...I take this time to see what the car is really made of...ie beating the **** out of it before buying.

Quick Reply: How in the world