Sponsored by:

Why Does G37 lose so much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I disagree, mostly... [That G's Lose So Much]

I'm guessing videos of G's getting spanked are uploaded by the proud surprise winners of the races. Probably because bragging rights don't come from besting a slower car.

Stock G's run ~mid 13's. In a quarter mile race, with good drivers, they will -on average- beat cars that can't. On average, they will also lose to cars that run quicker times. ET's speak for themselves.

There are many *sport* cars here in So Cal that run mid 11's and better on the street. "King of the road" competitions aren't matches between 13 second cars or even 12 second cars IMHO. The last well publicized race I remember was in Newport Beach, I think, between a Ferrari and a Porsche. The driver of the Ferrari, a well known person associated with the UFC world, was killed. The Porsche driver, I believe, is still locked up. This is a good reason to race on the track not the street.

Last edited by Boomer-Bob; 08-13-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
I disagree, mostly...

I'm guessing videos of G's getting spanked are uploaded by the proud surprise winners of the races. Probably because bragging rights don't come from besting a slower car.

Stock G's run ~mid 13's. In a quarter mile race, with good drivers, they will -on average- beat cars that can't. On average, they will also lose to cars that run quicker times. ET's speak for themselves.

There are many *sport* cars here in So Cal that run mid 11's and better on the street. "King of the road" competitions aren't matches between 13 second cars or even 12 second cars IMHO. The last well publicized race I remember was in Newport Beach, I think, between a Ferrari and a Porsche. The driver of the Ferrari, a well known person associated with the UFC world, was killed. The Porsche driver, I believe, is still locked up. This is a good reason to race on the track not the street.
U mostly disagree with what?

As far as racing in the streets, I couldn't agree more. Street racing is wreckless and foolish. If you want to race, take it to the track.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

^ Yep... I didn't state that very well.
What I meant to say was that IMHO, Car weight, luxury, mods, torque curve, drag vs. sport car... All are important, but, the reason for a won or lost race is of course time to distance. Heavy, luxury, sport, or drag car, low torque, high torque, TT or NA... the ET rules.
-On the street there are some "sport" cars that can humiliate some "drag" cars. Today's G, a 13 second luxury sport car, is faster in a 1/4 mile than many muscle "drag" cars of the 60's, cars that could only pray for a 13 sec ET. Life is good.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Something switches in the male brain somewhere around 28-32 years of age, and many of us stop giving a damn whether the next car over can go 1,320 feet a fraction of a second quicker than us.

The car does 60 in the fives, and the quarter in the thirteens...for my money, that's fast enough. Before you start comparing other cars, realize that we're doing this with NA motors, and Infinit has nice aftermarket support if you really want to go stupid fast. When I had my IS350, people on the Lexus boards constantly complained about the lack of go-fast mods available for the stock engine. We don't have that problem.

If you want more horsepower, go buy it. Looking at 1/4 mile race footage and declaring your car slow makes zero sense.
The following users liked this post:
g37Frost (08-20-2022)
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 PM
nitromt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Clax - this is not true. FIrst of all, I race people all the time in my G, with just a tune, and I win all the time against older mustangs, hemi charger R/Ts, I can beat just about any other six out there other than a good IS350 driver or a 335i. There are also lots of 8-cyl folks that are not as quick as they think they are. I do a 5.1 0-60 with my tune, otherwise stock. Just last week I beat the crap out of a mustang GT form the early 2000's, came from behind and beat him, and he had a look of 'no this can't be true at all' on his backward'd cap wearin' meth face.

But I digress - there are all kinds of confounds when watching these vids - coupe or sedan G37? Sedan is faster, sometimes remarkably so. MT had a stock G37S at 5 flat. Coupe is bigger and heavier. A fatty, so to speak. they are all in the 5.4-5.6 range it seems, tops.

Also, the other cars in the video may (and probably) have all sorts of modifications, from tunes to bolt-ons to turbos, nitrous and superchargers. Probably lots of dry nitrous shots goin on up in that you tube mess.

G37 owners tend to not drag their cars or modify them very much. It's a different demographic with different wants and needs, so you are going to see supercharged or nitroused G's a lot less then say, an older mustang, F-body pontiac or WRX. So it's not fair to just look at you tube videos and say 'G37's keep getting beat'

All that being said, the G is falling behind in the engine / tranny wars. The G needs direct injection or a turbo, or, most likely, a completely redesigned engine. G needs 30-40 lbs more torque down low and overall, and needs a few more ponies, say up 350 - 360, to keep it competitive. The G needs 13.5-13.2 1/4 mile times and stock sub-5 0-60's. And a hell of a lot better transmission tune. Most other things are good. But it needs a new drivetrain. Shouldn't have to go TT or SC to be competitive with other cars in its class. And a real, mechanical LSD in ALL models. Not the VLSD crap. That would make the 335i crowd very jealous.

Sorry. Conflated a wish list with defense of my G37.
Uh....IS350 only comes in automatic. How good can the driver possibly be?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:08 AM
dbg37

The preponderance of drag racers use automatics... albeit with driver performing the shifting.
Manual & clutch for the missed gate and the loss.

The G is not a drag car, get over it. It is a very good performing sport luxury car. That's it and it should be enough. You won't find people tubbing one out like you would early camaros, and typically you also won't have your neighbors b1tchin' at you because your exhaust can be heard 5 blocks away... at idle.

If G's lose drag races, then all you have to do is remember that some FOOL is taking it to a track. That is not what this car is for. Remember that you don't find a big following for airport mini bus drag racing either. If you go to a gun fight with a knife expect to lose.
This cannot be that hard to understand.

Most people who are the least bit serious about drag racing would'nt consider a G37 as the tool of choice, but they might enjoy a leisurely cruise in the mountains with it.
Most drag cars cannot hold a corner either or be comfortable over a 400 mile trip, so why not do the reverse and see if the tubbed out drag car can outshine the G37 in its world? Assuming it wouldn't run out of gas in less than a 100.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2006 IS350 and a 2010 G37S coupe and I can tell you without a doubt the Lexus is faster. Its all about the weight. The 370Z has the same engine in it but weighs 500lbs less. It typically runs 0-60 in the mid-to-high 4 sec range with 1/4 mile times approaching 13 seconds flat. The G is just fat with luxury and safety items. Its fine with me because I didn't buy the G to drag race in. Its a luxury GT....
Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

From Road and Track
G37s 0-60 5.1 1/4 13.6 @ 105.6 stick
G37 0-60 5.4 1/4 13.8 @ 103.8 auto
is350 0-60 5.5 1/4 14.0 @ 100.0 auto
Sarcasm alert!
My bicycle weighs way less than my G.
IMHO It's who gets there first that wins the race, even if they weigh more.
If you are losing too many races, race slower cars. There are LOTS of them out there!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

our cars have plenty of power it's just that they're super heavy...
Old 08-15-2010, 04:14 PM
steve
Registered Member

just got it done should have some picks next week car is strong
Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
^ Yep... I didn't state that very well.
What I meant to say was that IMHO, Car weight, luxury, mods, torque curve, drag vs. sport car... All are important, but, the reason for a won or lost race is of course time to distance. Heavy, luxury, sport, or drag car, low torque, high torque, TT or NA... the ET rules.
-On the street there are some "sport" cars that can humiliate some "drag" cars. Today's G, a 13 second luxury sport car, is faster in a 1/4 mile than many muscle "drag" cars of the 60's, cars that could only pray for a 13 sec ET. Life is good.
I agree, although those 60's cars can be modded to be very quick.

Originally Posted by 15951
Something switches in the male brain somewhere around 28-32 years of age, and many of us stop giving a damn whether the next car over can go 1,320 feet a fraction of a second quicker than us.

The car does 60 in the fives, and the quarter in the thirteens...for my money, that's fast enough. Before you start comparing other cars, realize that we're doing this with NA motors, and Infinit has nice aftermarket support if you really want to go stupid fast. When I had my IS350, people on the Lexus boards constantly complained about the lack of go-fast mods available for the stock engine. We don't have that problem.

If you want more horsepower, go buy it. Looking at 1/4 mile race footage and declaring your car slow makes zero sense.
I couldn't have said it better myself! It's good to see there's some sense on this board.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
The car does 60 in the fives, and the quarter in the thirteens...for my money, that's fast enough. Before you start comparing other cars, realize that we're doing this with NA motors.

We'll said.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:16 PM
newg37
Banned

why are the g37s faster than the automatics? is it because of the weight of the tranny? I was under the impression the 7at could switch gears much faster than a human driver hence making it faster than a manual. i guess that's only the case with vw's DSG.

and why is the g37 so heavy? what does it matter if it's a lux car that it has to be inherently heavier, the 335i is a lux car but it's faster and lighter and much more refined. why is the coupe heavier than a sedan? I thought the coupe was smaller and lighter weight.. go figure.

the g37 really needs to have at least 300 ft lbs to be more competitive. I don't know what they were thinking giving it only 270 TQ
Old 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by newg37
why are the g37s faster than the automatics? is it because of the weight of the tranny? I was under the impression the 7at could switch gears much faster than a human driver hence making it faster than a manual. i guess that's only the case with vw's DSG.

and why is the g37 so heavy? what does it matter if it's a lux car that it has to be inherently heavier, the 335i is a lux car but it's faster and lighter and much more refined. why is the coupe heavier than a sedan? I thought the coupe was smaller and lighter weight.. go figure.

the g37 really needs to have at least 300 ft lbs to be more competitive. I don't know what they were thinking giving it only 270 TQ
You sound like a troll.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 PM
newg37
Banned

wanna buy my two g37s?

then maybe i can go troll the bmw forums instead...

Quick Reply: Why Does G37 lose so much?