MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Why Does G37 lose so much? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/211382-why-does-g37-lose-so-much.html)

Clax 08-11-2010 02:44 PM

Why Does G37 lose so much?

I just want to start out saying I love my G37, BUT I was looking at video on youtube from the ImportRace channel (just type g37 vs on search and you will find it) as well as importrace.com and I notice G37 lost to almost every kind of car possible on drag. From rsx, mustang, wrx, lancer, just to name a few. The only video showing a G37 win is against a stock SI..... :52:

My question...is it because all those G37 are pre-supercharge? Most of the vids are dated early 09, there isn't a supercharger available for G37 back then? And how well does G37 perform in drag now after supercharge. Anyone have links or vids?

BlackG37Coupe 08-11-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Clax (Post 2950245)
I just want to start out saying I love my G37, BUT I was looking at video on youtube from the ImportRace channel (just type g37 vs on search and you will find it) as well as importrace.com and I notice G37 lost to almost every kind of car possible on drag. From rsx, mustang, wrx, lancer, just to name a few. The only video showing a G37 win is against a stock SI..... :52:

My question...is it because all those G37 are pre-supercharge? Most of the vids are dated early 09, there isn't a supercharger available for G37 back then? And how well does G37 perform in drag now after supercharge. Anyone have links or vids?

It is much heavier than all those cars you listed.

Spathic 08-11-2010 02:51 PM

G37 is a luxury car, not a sports car. It's very heavy for it's class (~3800 lbs for the sedan) whereas most of those cars you mentioned are probably ~1k lbs less. Put the G37 against others in it's class (BMW 3-series, Lexus IS, etc.) and you'll see a closer race...

Clax 08-11-2010 02:52 PM

So no chance for my g37 in drag with whatsoever supercharger?

I dont' think g37 is heavier than the mustang in those vid though...

G37Sam 08-11-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spathic (Post 2950258)
G37 is a luxury car, not a sports car. It's very heavy for it's class (~3800 lbs for the sedan) whereas most of those cars you mentioned are probably ~1k lbs less. Put the G37 against others in it's class (BMW 3-series, Lexus IS, etc.) and you'll see a closer race...

Quoted for truth

If you wanted to hit the dragstrip, buy a drag car :dunno:

Clax 08-11-2010 03:09 PM

But why would ppl drag G37 against the typical tuner drags then? I mean..there isn't just one or two videos...but pages of video show how badly g37 lose...

ucla bruin 08-11-2010 03:10 PM

Yes, get the super charger. Or twin turbo.

Clax 08-11-2010 03:20 PM

Any vid showing drag time after supercharge or twin turbo?

BlackG37Coupe 08-11-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Clax (Post 2950288)
Any vid showing drag time after supercharge or twin turbo?

No cause no one wants to blow up the 11k they put into the motor after the TT :icon30:

ozzypriest 08-11-2010 07:18 PM

Clax - this is not true. FIrst of all, I race people all the time in my G, with just a tune, and I win all the time against older mustangs, hemi charger R/Ts, I can beat just about any other six out there other than a good IS350 driver or a 335i. There are also lots of 8-cyl folks that are not as quick as they think they are. I do a 5.1 0-60 with my tune, otherwise stock. Just last week I beat the crap out of a mustang GT form the early 2000's, came from behind and beat him, and he had a look of 'no this can't be true at all' on his backward'd cap wearin' meth face.

But I digress - there are all kinds of confounds when watching these vids - coupe or sedan G37? Sedan is faster, sometimes remarkably so. MT had a stock G37S at 5 flat. Coupe is bigger and heavier. A fatty, so to speak. they are all in the 5.4-5.6 range it seems, tops.

Also, the other cars in the video may (and probably) have all sorts of modifications, from tunes to bolt-ons to turbos, nitrous and superchargers. Probably lots of dry nitrous shots goin on up in that you tube mess.

G37 owners tend to not drag their cars or modify them very much. It's a different demographic with different wants and needs, so you are going to see supercharged or nitroused G's a lot less then say, an older mustang, F-body pontiac or WRX. So it's not fair to just look at you tube videos and say 'G37's keep getting beat'

All that being said, the G is falling behind in the engine / tranny wars. The G needs direct injection or a turbo, or, most likely, a completely redesigned engine. G needs 30-40 lbs more torque down low and overall, and needs a few more ponies, say up 350 - 360, to keep it competitive. The G needs 13.5-13.2 1/4 mile times and stock sub-5 0-60's. And a hell of a lot better transmission tune. Most other things are good. But it needs a new drivetrain. Shouldn't have to go TT or SC to be competitive with other cars in its class. And a real, mechanical LSD in ALL models. Not the VLSD crap. That would make the 335i crowd very jealous.

Sorry. Conflated a wish list with defense of my G37.

hispeed-lowdrag 08-11-2010 07:25 PM

watching drag videos online is dumb IMO, if you are going to make an argument for a car to be faster/slower than another.

You need to know the mods of the cars, the drivers, etc to really make a call about the closeness of a race (obv not just talking about who wins) and this is all stuff you would know if it were in person. Watching online is really only helpful to observe who wins/loses. But if you want to know WHY then you need to be there

The G37 IS much heavier stock to stock than a lot of the cars you listed. And if you are looking for F/I just for drag purposes (and for all purposes IMO) the TT > SC

Kidcane 08-11-2010 08:39 PM

Because our cars are slow.

Adam West 08-11-2010 08:49 PM

We can bench race all day here about what cars are faster/slower, but in the end it all comes down to the driver, I think you'd be surprised how quick a luxury sedan like the G37 is against a lot of cars.

mindonmatter 08-11-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Adam West (Post 2950485)
We can bench race all day here about what cars are faster/slower, but in the end it all comes down to the driver, I think you'd be surprised how quick a luxury sedan like the G37 is against a lot of cars.

I agree. In the 9 months I've owned my G, I don't think I've ever pulled up next to a stop light next to a car that could/would beat me. If you're going out street racing or at the drag strip, of course you'll find other cars that will beat you. And you would find the same with any car you owned.

cvt 08-11-2010 10:22 PM

it amazes me how some people buy this car and expect to be competitve in anything sporty...i took my G to SoW ONCE...LOL.

never again...LOL