Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Panel Dull/Dim in center of LCD panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 PM
madmach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Panel Dull/Dim in center of LCD panel

Has anyone had the problem where the Small Digital(LCD) screen between RPM and Speed has dimmed/faded.

I got in my car the other day and it was really hot(100 degrees) The car sat in the sun for about 8 hours. I got in the car and noticed that the screen almost looked like it was burned out in the center, however the sides were nice and bright.....

So I finally got the car into my Garage, and let it sit in the cool for a few hours. Started it back up and all was well, the gauge brightness was restored.

Anyone else noticed this; I though i was going to have to take it to the dealer if it was burned in.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Never heard of such an issue. You're the first to bring it up. Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get some shade for the windshield when ur parking in direct sunlight. The heat and uv ray will damage and fade away ANYTHING on ur dash. It's triple digits now so take care of the car.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 PM
bobmcc

Originally Posted by madmach
Has anyone had the problem where the Small Digital(LCD) screen between RPM and Speed has dimmed/faded.

I got in my car the other day and it was really hot(100 degrees) The car sat in the sun for about 8 hours. I got in the car and noticed that the screen almost looked like it was burned out in the center, however the sides were nice and bright.....

So I finally got the car into my Garage, and let it sit in the cool for a few hours. Started it back up and all was well, the gauge brightness was restored.

Anyone else noticed this; I though i was going to have to take it to the dealer if it was burned in.
LOL I just posted the same thing on the coupe forum a few minutes ago before I looked at the sedan forum. Today I had the exact same thing happen to me.

Hopefully it did not do us any long term damage.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a general rule extreme temps on either side can play hell with those kinds of LCD screens. Seen it happen on occasion back during the days of monochrome LCD cell phones, or with a similar display on my (piano not computer) keyboard. Never had anything permanently damaged from it, but it's probably a good idea to try to prevent it as much as possible.

I haven't had that with the car yet, just saying I've seen temporary oddities on those kinds of screens before in heat or cold.

I guess the only way to prevent it on really hot days is just simple things: close the sunroof shade, use a screen if necessary. Get some tints .
Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM
madmach

I totally agree to the window shield..

Since then i have tried to park the car in a more indirect sunlight location, and focus the rear of the car into the sun, with the sun shade closed over the sunroof.

>>bobmcc i agree, i hope there was no long term damage, although LCD screens are pretty robust now-a-days and i think that we got lucky by having it return to normal.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 PM
bobmcc

Originally Posted by madmach
I totally agree to the window shield..

Since then i have tried to park the car in a more indirect sunlight location, and focus the rear of the car into the sun, with the sun shade closed over the sunroof.

>>bobmcc i agree, i hope there was no long term damage, although LCD screens are pretty robust now-a-days and i think that we got lucky by having it return to normal.
As I posted on the coupe forum, its been a few days now since it happened, and everthing has been fine since.