questions about 15K service for g37s

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:32 AM
ak1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
questions about 15K service for g37s

Hi Guys,

My car g37s is less than 1 year old and it has 15K. I called dealer about 15k service, they said it will be 400$. Seems quite expensive service for relatively new car. I searched the forums, some people replace in-cabin microfilmer themselves. Is it a good idea if I replace the filter myself and ask dealer to do the rest? How much it is going to save?

Also, it is g37s, with stocked staggered tires, I believe it does not require rotation. Dealer said that they will still balance tires. Is it necessary? I do not see this in the infiniti maintenance guideline.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my 15K service done in May. All that's required is standard oil/filter, incabin filter and tire rotation plus some brake inspections. As you said you don't need the tire rotation and there's no need to rebalance. $400 must include all the "Premium" inspections which you do not need.

I did the incabin filter myself - it will cost you about $120+ for the dealer to do it. The filter is about $42 from them and the rest is labor. It took me 15 minutes to do and the procedure is posted on this forum. I prefer to get the OEM filter but many get them at NAPA where there's a WIX filter for this application, or online for about $28 + shipping.

I do have a maintenance plan (Elite) which does not cover the filters (since the price difference was ridiculous and I can do engine and cabin filters myself).

Bottom line - they should only do the oil/filter and inspect the necessary items at 15K: Brake Lines/Cables/Rotors/Calipers/Pads, Brake light/Cruise Control switches, Diff oil, Manual Tranny oil (if applicable). You can do the incabin filter.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:02 PM
sfrizzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yoru tires only have to be balanced if you drive over potholes and ish....u shoudl be fine after 15k unless you changed stuff around...change ur cabin filter urself...(rock auto has em for liek $12 online)....check ur fluid levels.....dealer is gonna rip u off...just make sure u keep ur reciepts for everything u buy so u got proof u did the necessary changes for warranty claims...hell take it to a jiffy lube or whatever u gotta do if u cant do it urself but the dealer is gonna rip u off hardcore....thats just how it is...just use ur manual as a checklist to make sure you have done everything...most places will do a 20 pt inspection or whatever they do and check ur hoses etc...but u can do that urself...and check ur breaks urself...and just listen and u will know when ur pads are wearing and stuff like that
Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 PM
white venom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a Service Advisor for a dealership; you mainly want to replace your cabin filter, check and see if your engine air filters need to be replaced, change your oil/filter, balance your tires only if you have high speed vibrations, and you might want to have an alignment analysis done to see if you need an alignment
Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
CGAR

Originally Posted by sfrizzle
Yoru tires only have to be balanced if you drive over potholes and ish....u shoudl be fine after 15k unless you changed stuff around...change ur cabin filter urself...(rock auto has em for liek $12 online)....check ur fluid levels.....dealer is gonna rip u off...just make sure u keep ur reciepts for everything u buy so u got proof u did the necessary changes for warranty claims...hell take it to a jiffy lube or whatever u gotta do if u cant do it urself but the dealer is gonna rip u off hardcore....thats just how it is...just use ur manual as a checklist to make sure you have done everything...most places will do a 20 pt inspection or whatever they do and check ur hoses etc...but u can do that urself...and check ur breaks urself...and just listen and u will know when ur pads are wearing and stuff like that
Yes take it to Jiffy Lube that way they can leave your drain plug loose and you can get a new motor, or they could leave your air filter out and damage intake components. Yes the dealership is expensive but you know it will be done correctly. Your better off doing it yourself it will save you a ton of money. As far as your tires go I think it would be a good idea to prevent any future tire issues (preventitive maintinence). But if you dont see any cupping, feathering,or uneven tire wear you probably ok. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:42 PM
ak1
Registered Member

Thank you for responses guys. I found a cabin filter in NAPA store and I'll replace it myself. I do not feel any shaking when I drive my car on any speed and actually, I have my summer tires now. I put them back in March, replacing winter tires/rims. I doubt that I need to balance them now. I'll talk with dealer, I guess I'll skip balancing too.

Thanks a lot for you help!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed at not taking it to a jiffy lube or walmart. But there's always a local trusted mechanic for simple things like oil & air filter changes if you can't do that yourself. Not like it's one or the other.

If you do go to the dealership, don't say "please give me the 15K service," or you'll end up with that $400 bill for the all the premium service bs.
Instead, know exactly what you want done according to whatever maintenance schedule you want to follow and ask for that only. Change the oil, cabin filter, maybe intake filters (sched 1 vs 2 thing here). And whatever it is you non-sport model people do with the tires.

They'll probably inspect everything else "for free" as part of the oil change package.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For our kind of sport/luxury car i tend not to trust any place but my dealers. I know 400 is steep but i also pay for the confidence and ease of mind that they won't abuse the car (most likely). People would spend stupid rediculous money on mods and other crap for appearance but when it comes to actually taking care of their cars, they are so cheap. I'm not saying anyone here is or anything like that, but if you're like me and don't know a trusted mechanic or self proficient i would take it to the dealer imo.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 AM
CGAR

^couldent of said it better myself
Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NonAme
For our kind of sport/luxury car i tend not to trust any place but my dealers. I know 400 is steep but i also pay for the confidence and ease of mind that they won't abuse the car (most likely). People would spend stupid rediculous money on mods and other crap for appearance but when it comes to actually taking care of their cars, they are so cheap. I'm not saying anyone here is or anything like that, but if you're like me and don't know a trusted mechanic or self proficient i would take it to the dealer imo.
There are also many dealers across all makes with service personnel that should not be allowed next to the cars they sell. We all have dealer stories that will confirm that. You need to know what you want done, take it to someone you trust, and ALWAYS check under the hood before driving off. After finding dipsticks lying across the block at a DEALER after service, or damage due to improperly replaced part at another DEALER, I always make sure all the basic stuff is at least in it's right place.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:53 AM
BillPaul

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
There are also many dealers across all makes with service personnel that should not be allowed next to the cars they sell. We all have dealer stories that will confirm that. You need to know what you want done, take it to someone you trust, and ALWAYS check under the hood before driving off. After finding dipsticks lying across the block at a DEALER after service, or damage due to improperly replaced part at another DEALER, I always make sure all the basic stuff is at least in it's right place.
I agree. On one occasion I was charged by a Honda dealer for having my tires rotated, but discovered when I got home that they were not. A scratched wheel was in the same position. On another occasion, a lug nut fell off a wheel 2 weeks after having tires rotated by a Firestone dealer. So much for using a torque wrench.

A lot of businesses that service cars have inexperienced, poorly paid folks who are in a hurry. So, a service Dept. can be a dangerous place for your car (similar to the fact that hospitals can be dangerous for patients).

The best bet is probably to find a private company that works hard to keep customers happy and pays good salaries to get & keep the best trained technicians. This will therefore not be the cheapest place to take your car. I have one nearby that we rely on. Turns out they don't provide service on weekends. I asked the owner why. He responded that he tries to get the best technicians, and one way is to give them weekends free.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
ak1
Registered Member

And how to find such company? I moved to a new area recently, do not know much about local businesses
Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NonAme
I use the dealer, and only have them do oil changes and other non-inspection items that I don't want to do myself. I replace my own filters, etc.

There's is absolutely no reason to give a dealer $400 to do what would otherwise be a free inspection with an oil change. If it makes you feel better to spend 4x more than you need to, then fine, but realize that "ease of mind" can be had for much cheaper.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 PM
jtla

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman

They'll probably inspect everything else "for free" as part of the oil change package.
They did indeed for my first oil change @4k miles, including all fluid levels, tire thread, break pads, etc.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 PM
majin ssj eric

Specific interval "services" are and always have been dealer scams. They inspect the car on routine oil change visits anyway and your owner's manual specifies exactly what services you need and when. At 15k all you need is oil/filter change (and cabin filter as has been stated). I usally just have my oil changed at the local Nissan dealer and change filters myself...

Quick Reply: questions about 15K service for g37s