Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint and the Fuzz!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Maybe we’re getting a bit off topic, but I’ve used a car cover for years whenever I’m going to park in the sun for more than an hour or so, and of course, I don’t have tinted windows. I do it to protect the exterior as well as the inside. I also have one of those cable locks for the cover, although it’s a pain to use so I don’t bother. I’ve never had one stolen however, but even if that happened I just wouldn’t worry about it. For my past cars, I used to paint on my license plate number in large letters on both sides of the cover to discourage theft. But my current one was purchased from my dealer and has a big Infiniti logo on the front, so I just haven’t bothered.

But more to the topic, frankly I don’t believe most of the drivers here who get illegal tints do it to keep the car cool in hot weather. That’s just the cover story. The real reason IMO is two-fold: They like the way it looks, i.e., it’s “cool” looking. The other reason is they do not want anyone looking inside their car, whether they’re smoking something they shouldn’t or just picking their nose.

Now I’m not anti-tint. Legal tint is functional and serves a purpose. But I would like to see more honesty about illegal tint, rather than a spurious rationalization for breaking the law. And why so many are willing to compromise night driving safety in this way is something I do not understand. (And please, don’t tell me, “I can see just fine at night,” because I don’t believe that either.)
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 PM
KennethG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get tint not because of the sun light but I don't want people see me through window. lol I guess many people agree with me?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah I think no tint just looks out of place...if you do legal or illegal whatever its your call but no tint looks rediculous IMHO.

I have mine tinted because it looks better and because it really does help with the heat
Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
yeah I think no tint just looks out of place...if you do legal or illegal whatever its your call but no tint looks rediculous IMHO.
Again, some of the rhetoric from tint advocates around here is a bit harsh. Does this really look rediculious?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM
KennethG37S

you might want to compare lol

look how different when it's tinted

Last edited by KennethG37S; 05-09-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by KennethG37S
look how different when it's tinted
Hey, it looks great. Just watch yourself when the sun goes down.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM
KennethG37S

Originally Posted by Chekov
Hey, it looks great. Just watch yourself when the sun goes down.
Yeah.. haha need to pull down window at night
Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Again, some of the rhetoric from tint advocates around here is a bit harsh. Does this really look rediculious?
I absolutely respect everyone's ability to do with their car whatever they want to do...that's how we get so many great variations of the G.

But in MY PERSONAL OPINION, yes..a G with no tint looks rediculous. I'm not trying to be harsh or bash you or anyone else. If you don't like tint, don't get it, I was just saying why I like it
Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

I absolutely respect everyone's ability to do with their car whatever they want to do...that's how we get so many great variations of the G.

But in MY PERSONAL OPINION, yes..a G with no tint looks rediculous. I'm not trying to be harsh or bash you or anyone else. If you don't like tint, don't get it, I was just saying why I like it
Well, I can think of many things that look rediculious:

• A party goer with his pants pulled down below his knees wearing a lamp shade
• A pink Rolls-Royce with purple polka dots
• An Air Force officer giving orders with his fly open
• A Ford Model T with a four foot rear spoiler
• An Aston Martin DBS with a bobble head on the rear shelf

But a non-tinted Infiniti G37? After all, every one ever made came off the assembly line that way. You’ve added a new meaning to the word.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

• An Air Force officer giving orders with his fly open
The really sad thing is that I've seen this happen in one of our pre-flight briefings

hahaha

/OT
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

The really sad thing is that I've seen this happen in one of our pre-flight briefings

hahaha

/OT
Yes, I put that one in on your behalf.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
09G37xCpe

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman;2894457[URL="https://www.myg37.com/forums/2893889-post27.html"
table I posted earlier in this thread[/URL].

The info in this thread is the best I've seen on the topic period. Thanks for this.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 09G37xCpe
The info in this thread is the best I've seen on the topic period. Thanks for this.
Interestingly enough, I went back to that other site someone posted about PA tinting laws and there are some oddly heated arguments in their forum -- some about that very table I posted. I guess one argument is it says what's acceptable but does not explicity prohibit anything lower .

Looking at the forums and other areas of that site, the author seems a bit unstable, to be honest, in the tin-foil-hat sort of way. Par for the course on the Internet.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 AM
urirx98

I have had 20% tint on my last 4 cars, 2007 G35, 2003 Acura MDX even had 35% on windshield, 1998 Maxima and 89 Maxima. Only car i had 35 on was a Acura CL-s and it sucked for light protection. I live in FLorida and never had a problem with the 20% on any cars. Only in NY where i had the 89 Maxima ( silver car with black Leather) did i have a problem, and it wasnt even me that was driving, was my sister. She got a warning ticket saying it had to be removed and the ticket would be dismissed. SOMETIMES GIRLS DONT ALWAYS GET NOTHING
Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 AM
urirx98

O, I will be getting my 2010 G37 tinted, prob by next week, need to get it done before summer, or its gonna be a brutal one

Quick Reply: Tint and the Fuzz!