Sponsored By:

2012 G37S Coupe Center Console Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:11 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 G37S Coupe Center Console Removal?

Someone spilled a soft drink in the cupholder section of the console. Soon after the radio would switch from the source I was listening to and try to read from the USB port. I can switch the radio back to my source, but then it'll randomly switch back to reading from the USB.

The USB port itself seems to be gone/damaged as the slot "appears" to be empty of any type of connector.

So I need to get into this area to see what's going on, but the console removal procedure is eluding me. I've got the front shifter part of the console removed, but the middle cup holder section, and this rear storage bin / USB port section I can't figure out. YouTube was helpful for the forward part, but not the middle & rear sections.

Last edited by cribbj; 10-22-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Just wanted to add that the hard plastic finisher where the USB port & Lighter connector are mounted apparently comes out to gain access to the USB port.

I have the bottom side of this finisher loose, but try as I might, I can't get the top to come loose, and I'm nervous about breaking it.

The FSM page IP-37 shows the removal of this finisher, but all it says is "Pull up console center finisher, and disengage pawls."

Guess I'll try to get a butter knife or other very thin pry tool under this thing and try to pry it up. I have a complete set of plastic pry tools for removing interior trim, but they haven't been effective on this finisher.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:18 PM
kidtronix
Build your own bandwagon.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Take pics! Good luck, I haven't seen anything on here about disassembling the consoles.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:54 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

OK, I got the finisher off without breaking it, but it took a lot more force than I thought and was comfortable with. In the end, I forced a very thin sheetrock spatula down from the top and pried up on each side until it popped loose. Here's a pic showing it loose, but still in the console:

Here's a view of it out of the console, and showing the broken USB connector:

The side facing forward, which is hidden when the finisher is mounted in the console. Note the two large pawls on the top, and the two smaller ones on the bottom. I think the only way of getting this puppy loose is to slip something really thin, strong, and flexible in from the top, then force it down to release the pawls. Sorta like "carding" a door if any of you have ever had to open a locked door

Now I've gotta see if the USB port is available by itself, or if I need to get a whole console from eBay and hope that the USB port is OK.......

The following 2 users liked this post by cribbj:
Baadnewsburr (10-25-2018), spbshaan (04-17-2019)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
damn looks like that thing got fried!! No Drinks ALLOWED IN CAR NOW!!! LOL
Old 10-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Looks like someone gouged it out. good job getting everything apart and great pics. I'm sure they'l assist other in the future as this issue (of damaged USB connector) has been popping up on here
Old 10-25-2018, 09:41 AM
cribbj
Registered Member

Cheers Hashim & Bostonreefer. It should've been a piece of cake to do this, but it required way more force than I thought was right.

And it turned out there was no drink contamination in the USB port after all - the actual port was just loose and shorting stuff out which made the radio act weird. Once I disconnected the harness from the USB connector, the radio started behaving again.

So apparently the drink being spilled and the USB port shorting out was just coincidental.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (10-25-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:12 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Just to follow up, the USB port is available separately and is P/N 284H3-1FA0B, but at an eye-watering price of $108.40 (at least from my dealer) and it was in stock! I rationalised the outrageous price because I avoided having to buy a used console on eBay with a USB port in unknown condition

The fit was perfect and it snapped right into the hard plastic finisher, so I'm back in business, and the radio isn't randomly trying to read from the USB port.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 PM
spbshaan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@cribbj Thank you very much for the detailed explanation for replacing the usb port. I'm in the same boat with usb port on loose and fell apart. i need to know how did you get the finisher off in the first place? Did you apply the pressure at the top or at the bottom? For some reason, I'm still stuck at the first step. I was looking at a link by GROM https://gromaudio.com/installs/infin...tallation.html to see how he removes the USB panel over there.
Also, the old usb can be fixed or has to be replaced by the new one?
Please do let me know. Thanks.