G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clicking Sounds, Whining Sounds and Parking Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:47 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Clicking Sounds, Whining Sounds and Parking Brake?

Hey Everyone! So, I have 3 issues and I was hoping you guys can help me out once again.

My Vehicle: 2012 G37xS Coup with 57,000 miles.

1. Every morning when I put my car into drive and the wheels starts turning, a high pitch, squeaking/whining sound occurs. I am not sure if the sound is coming from the front or the rear, but I know it is definitely not from the engine. The pitch of the sound would oscillate between high and low as the wheel spins. This only happens when I am moving forward and not when I am in reverse. The sound would occur when the car is in drive mode and without the accelerator pressed down. When I press on the accelerator and the vehicle picks up speed, the sound disappears completely. Once the car is driven for a few miles, the squeaking/whining sound disappears completely and only returns when the car is parked for over a few hours. I have taken the vehicle to the dealers and they could not replicate the sound and attribute the sound to rust building up between the brake-pad and the rotor over night (I don't buy this explanation at all). What do you guys think this sound is and where is it coming from?

2. Recently, I noticed that when I apply my brakes, there is a clicking sounds coming from my rear wheels. The clicking sound is audible when ever I apply my brakes and sometimes continuous. The sound is only present while the vehicle is still in motion. When the vehicle comes to a complete stop, I can pump my brakes all day long and no clicking sounds are heard. When the vehicle is in motion, the clicking sound can be heard both on flat ground and on an incline. I have taken the vehicle into the dealer a few times and they said the spline needed cleaning and so that was done. However, despite cleaning the spline, the sound came back 24 hours later. The brakes were inspected and no concerns were found. Both of my brake pads are at 7mm front and back. What do you guys think can be causing the clicking sound that is only audible when the brakes are applied?

3. As you guys can tell by now, I am not a mechanic or even come close to being one. However, I was wondering if my vehicle should still be able to move forward when the "Parking Brakes" are applied and the transmission set to drive mode without depressing on the accelerator? I noticed that my vehicle can continue to move forward when the transmission is set to "D", the parking brake being applied tightly and when I lift my foot off the brakes. Is this normal or is this an issue that needs to be addressed right away?
Old 06-02-2016, 02:02 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xS-Life
Hey Everyone! So, I have 3 issues and I was hoping you guys can help me out once again.

My Vehicle: 2012 G37xS Coup with 57,000 miles.

1. Every morning when I put my car into drive and the wheels starts turning, a high pitch, squeaking/whining sound occurs. I am not sure if the sound is coming from the front or the rear, but I know it is definitely not from the engine. The pitch of the sound would oscillate between high and low as the wheel spins. This only happens when I am moving forward and not when I am in reverse. The sound would occur when the car is in drive mode and without the accelerator pressed down. When I press on the accelerator and the vehicle picks up speed, the sound disappears completely. Once the car is driven for a few miles, the squeaking/whining sound disappears completely and only returns when the car is parked for over a few hours. I have taken the vehicle to the dealers and they could not replicate the sound and attribute the sound to rust building up between the brake-pad and the rotor over night (I don't buy this explanation at all). What do you guys think this sound is and where is it coming from?

2. Recently, I noticed that when I apply my brakes, there is a clicking sounds coming from my rear wheels. The clicking sound is audible when ever I apply my brakes and sometimes continuous. The sound is only present while the vehicle is still in motion. When the vehicle comes to a complete stop, I can pump my brakes all day long and no clicking sounds are heard. When the vehicle is in motion, the clicking sound can be heard both on flat ground and on an incline. I have taken the vehicle into the dealer a few times and they said the spline needed cleaning and so that was done. However, despite cleaning the spline, the sound came back 24 hours later. The brakes were inspected and no concerns were found. Both of my brake pads are at 7mm front and back. What do you guys think can be causing the clicking sound that is only audible when the brakes are applied?

3. As you guys can tell by now, I am not a mechanic or even come close to being one. However, I was wondering if my vehicle should still be able to move forward when the "Parking Brakes" are applied and the transmission set to drive mode without depressing on the accelerator? I noticed that my vehicle can continue to move forward when the transmission is set to "D", the parking brake being applied tightly and when I lift my foot off the brakes. Is this normal or is this an issue that needs to be addressed right away?
All in all, sounds like you need some brake work lol..

1. I wouldn't at all rule out rust on the rotors, mine squeak randomly while at low speeds too, I think most of us have that same issue depending on climate and brake pad material. I bet when you press the brake, it goes away right? If this is true, its harmless. You can try different material brake pads if it bugs you.

2 and 3 I think are one in the same issue. I think the clicking could be coming from worn pads. The car shouldn't easily role forward while its applied but it's not hard to drive normally while the gas is pressed with the E-brake on either. Most times it just needs to be adjusted and tightened, if they are really far gone that means someone drove with it on for an extended amount of time while ignoring the warning on the dash.
The following users liked this post:
G37xS-Life (06-04-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:06 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
What Kris said. The first two point pretty clearly to worn out breaks. The car will move without too much effort if the E-brake is engaged so that is normal.
G37xS-Life (06-04-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 08:17 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Thank you Kris and Jumbo Palace for your quick replies.

The problem with the information pointing to worn out brakes is that my brake pads are at 7mm. The brake pads were recently changed as well. The sound that I was describing started even prior to the brake pads being replaced.

Even with a 7mm brake pad, the sound is normal?
Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Kris9884

Well like I was stating it isn't necessarily worn brakes, its most likely the material of pads being used. Cheaper pads tend to have more metal content and squeak randomly or when wet or cold etc.. So again, its normal. If you're trying to explain something else is wrong than please take a video and help us help you better.
G37xS-Life (06-04-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 06:35 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Well like I was stating it isn't necessarily worn brakes, its most likely the material of pads being used. Cheaper pads tend to have more metal content and squeak randomly or when wet or cold etc.. So again, its normal. If you're trying to explain something else is wrong than please take a video and help us help you better.
Thank you Kris.

Hum, I am confused. Doesn't the G37xS come with Akebonos? Those are cheap brakes?
Old 06-03-2016, 07:43 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Here are the videos:

1. Clicking sound starts at around 25 seconds into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRcP...ature=youtu.be

2. The Squeaking, Whining and Clicking sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_j...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Kris9884

Thank you Kris.

Hum, I am confused. Doesn't the G37xS come with Akebonos? Those are cheap brakes?

Oh no, I just meant maybe the pads were cheap, you DO have the good brakes.

Here are the videos:

1. Clicking sound starts at around 25 seconds into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRcP...ature=youtu.be

2. The Squeaking, Whining and Clicking sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_j...ature=youtu.be
I am leaning towards the pads were installed wrong or loose. The clicking sound could be the shims or clips that hold the pad in place. The squeaking again, is normal since brake pads and rotors are metal, they can definitely squeak when they rub. Although for the record, even very high performance pads squeal too, they are made with harsher metals. ANY pad can squeak like that, just depends. You can try and replace them with a different type of pad but that's about it.

All in all I would make sure the pins and shims are in correctly, that should fix the clicking.
G37xS-Life (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 01:29 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Oh no, I just meant maybe the pads were cheap, you DO have the good brakes.

I am leaning towards the pads were installed wrong or loose. The clicking sound could be the shims or clips that hold the pad in place. The squeaking again, is normal since brake pads and rotors are metal, they can definitely squeak when they rub. Although for the record, even very high performance pads squeal too, they are made with harsher metals. ANY pad can squeak like that, just depends. You can try and replace them with a different type of pad but that's about it.

All in all I would make sure the pins and shims are in correctly, that should fix the clicking.
Thank you Kris!

Just another quick question. The sound drives me nuts every morning and whenever I park my car for a while. To be honest, its even happening while I am driving at low speeds in stop and go traffic.

If it gets worse, I am thinking about switching out my bakes and perhaps rotors. Would Centric Rotors be a good choice for rotors? If yes, which one specifically? If not, what would you recommend?

In terms of bakes, I am thinking about Hawk 5.0 Pads. Any ideas or recommendations?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Centric premium rotors are great oem replacements probably even better than oem! Great prices at rock auto and centric posi quiets pads are great too
G37xS-Life (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Kris9884

Thank you Kris!

Just another quick question. The sound drives me nuts every morning and whenever I park my car for a while. To be honest, its even happening while I am driving at low speeds in stop and go traffic.

If it gets worse, I am thinking about switching out my bakes and perhaps rotors. Would Centric Rotors be a good choice for rotors? If yes, which one specifically? If not, what would you recommend?

In terms of bakes, I am thinking about Hawk 5.0 Pads. Any ideas or recommendations?

Don't hesitate to smash that thanks button bro

You're right on track, from what I hear Hawk HPS 5.0 are about as good as you can get for a daily driver, occasional track pad. Unless they are worn out I would keep the OEM rotors honestly, they are more than capable of keeping up with those pads.
G37xS-Life (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 03:19 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

LOL, I didn't even realize that button was there! I got on it!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
That clicking sound has drove me crazy since i got my car. I have the ipl vert so i just assumed it was due to the type car. Only does it at slow speeds and when braking. Even did it when i first got it. It really annoys me when in a parking deck and windows or top down. Since has done it with new thru repadded brakes mine may be something else.
G37xS-Life (06-05-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:53 AM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Hey everyone, I believe I was able to figure out what the squeaking and whining sound was. After getting numerous second opinions from auto experts here in Chicago, it turns out that my parking brakes were rubbing against part of the wheel (I forget the name of the actual piece). At first, I was skeptical with the finding and asked for evidence. The mechanic showed me the part of the parking brake that was rubbing and the location where it was rubbing at. There were high amounts of dusts and residues. At this point, the random squeaking sound have stopped both in traffic and from cold start.

I asked how would a parking brake be rubbing randomly since I have never had work done on it. Apparently, Infiniti makes adjustments from time to time and this was confirmed with the dealer when I spoke about it in passing (without indications of blaming them for it)....go figure right.

I don't know if those of you with random squeaks is due to the same issue, but its worth a shot to see if the parking brake was rubbing despite it not being engaged.