G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Convertible Problems. Leaks and Engine Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 05:13 AM
Swole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Convertible Problems. Leaks and Engine Noise.

Heres the backstory: I recently bought a 2011 g37 convertible. I was super stoked and when I took for a test drive everything sounded great. A week later, it started to rain here in California and I had a weird feeling to go check my car. Sure, enough it was leaking like a ****, and had to take it to the dealership which it got fixed for free. 2 weeks later I go to pick up my car and everything seems great. I went and filled up my tank with Supreme 91 fuel at the gas station and drove home no issues. When I got home I decided to put my radar detector back on the car. I then took it for another drive to the store and a little piece snapped off my radar detector and went right inside the defrost vents on the dash close to the windshield. I heard the little piece bounce around inside and then i turned and i couldnt hear it at all, sounded like it got stuck or settled somewhere or went deeper. When I got to a stoplight I accelerated to see if I could hear it and nothing. I thought eh, if I can't hear it, whatever. A few hours later I am heading to work and as I accelerate (engine warmed up for 15min) I accelerate quickly and get to like 2500-4000 rpms and I can hear this weird noise that is coming from the engine area. Its almost as if the engine revving changes pitch and also sounds super metallic like grinding or something, see the video (it is very faint in the video but it is not quiet in person, all record another video once i get off work). Could this be the little piece that fell into the vent (it was plastic by the way)? or is this something else? My power steering fluid seems on the lower side but i dont think it is that.
Attached Files
Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Hmm I cant really hear anything aside from just a brief moment where it sounds like a heat shield or something. is the noise consistent?
I doubt something that fell into a vent would make it to any parts that would make a grinding noise that is consistent with engine revs
Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Swole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea it is pretty much anytime I accelerate fast. and my window started leaking on both sides again, now from a different spot. May have to take it back to the dealership and have them fix the window/leak again and have them check to see if my heat shield is loose. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
For the window leak, it could be the seals. But maybe there is something not securing down tightly when the top closes. could be something lose that vibrates when accelerating. I wish I was more help but this is the first I have heard of this specific type of issue on the convertible.

I wonder if it still makes the noise with the top down
Old 03-03-2016, 05:26 PM
bigc

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The item that fell into your vent did not make its way into the engine. No need to worry about that.

As for the noise, its tough to hear in your video. Can you take a vid with your hood open. It will be easier to hear if you park the car in an enclosed area (garage) and have a friend rev the engine.