G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

08 G37 5speed auto better than the 7 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
08 G37 5speed auto better than the 7 speed?

I will be buying a G37 soon, unless I decide to buy something else instead.

I will be purchasing used. I was looking at 09,10, or 2011s.

After spending the past few days reading about the problems of the 7 speeds, and the subsequent software upgrades to improve this problem,

I am wondering if the 2008 G37 coupe with the 5 speed auto tranny is a more trouble free car.

I would rather have a newer vehicle, but I will choose what is most reliable and problem free.

And yes, I know that the software/ECU TSBs have sorted out most of the issues, but I still read many reports that it is still not as good as the 2012+ G37s.

I have searched for an answer and even read the entire thread on the 7 speed issues, but I haven't heard anyone mentioning that the 08 G37 auto coupe is "better" than the 7 speed tranny.

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:44 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Define problems? Some of the early 7ATs had lag/shift point issues that were later fixed by firmware updates within the ECU, but neither transmission has problems in terms of reliability/leaving you stranded on the side of the highway (the G is up there with Camry and Accord in terms of reliability). In fact, the shift lag issue is well documented here as this is an enthusiasts forum and we tend to nit pick and look at issues with a microscope. However, the other 97% of the population buying Gs most likely will never notice any issues. If you are looking for a reliable performance sports sedan, you've come to the right place. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
cf144 (02-12-2022)
Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Define problems? Some of the early 7ATs had lag/shift point issues that were later fixed by firmware updates within the ECU, but neither transmission has problems in terms of reliability/leaving you stranded on the side of the highway (the G is up there with Camry and Accord in terms of reliability). In fact, the shift lag issue is well documented here as this is an enthusiasts forum and we tend to nit pick and look at issues with a microscope. However, the other 97% of the population buying Gs most likely will never notice any issues. If you are looking for a reliable performance sports sedan, you've come to the right place. Good luck.
Yes, the problems I am referring to is the shift/lag/hesitation/rough down shift issues with the 09 - 2011 7 speed auto. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...reprogram.html

I know the actual transmission itself is very reliable and the vehicle as a whole is very reliable. But I don't want to end up with a 7 speed G37 that has transmission issues. I consider myself a vehicle hypochondriac, so even a minor issue will drive me crazy.

Even with the software patches, I am still reading of some remaining complaints.

I am just trying to determine if the 08 coupe with 5 speed auto would be a better fit for myself.

By the way, thank you for the reply.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I would go out and test drive both and see what you think (dealers always have an 07-08 5AT on the lot). I've owned both and honestly prefer the 5AT as it seemed alot more docile at low speeds (the 7AT takes some getting used to driving at low speed), but then again the 7AT is a beast when you drive aggressively (no comparison in quickness, regardless of what others say).

I recently had to make the same decision after moving from an 04 I had owned for 10 years that was essentially problem free. I really had my mind set on a 2nd generation 08, but at the end of the day, the refinements/improvements in the 2013, combined with the crazy low purchase price they were offering were really hard to look past (only a 11K delta or so between new and a used 2008).

Specifically, I think the 2013 G37S (last year it will be made) may go down as one of the best performance sedan values of our generation. It's madness to think you can get this much car for a little over 35K.

Last edited by socketz67; 09-28-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Thats what I was wondering, That the 5 speed might not be as fun/interesting to drive as the 7 speed, But that the 5 speed is more laid back and simple in it's performance.

I dont mind losing a couple MPGs and a little performance if it means a more solid feeling shifting experience. I don't have the heavy foot now that I used to have when I was younger.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

I would love to buy new, but I will be paying cash, so used is a better bet for me.

And I'm definitely going to test drive some G37s. I just hate getting involved with car salesmen/dealerships and will typically make that encounter my last step in purchasing a vehicle.

I always get as much info and do all my homework before I ever step onto a car lot.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WillCo1
I would love to buy new, but I will be paying cash, so used is a better bet for me.

And I'm definitely going to test drive some G37s. I just hate getting involved with car salesmen/dealerships and will typically make that encounter my last step in purchasing a vehicle.

I always get as much info and do all my homework before I ever step onto a car lot.
I'm the same way. My enthusiast friends make fun of me because I do alot more reading that hands on prior to buying. Once I'm standing on a dealer lot, I have already figured out what I want to buy and how much I will pay.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
For some reason I always had the thought that a 7sp auto would feel too much like a cvt. I like feeling my car shift. Kinda why I decided on the 08 instead. I couldn't find a manual here in houston and just gave in because I wanted the damn car so bad..
Old 09-28-2013, 06:52 PM
boomboom696969

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 2010 G37s anniversary edition and at first the 7sp had the lag/shift point issue. Dealer did firmware update and i haven't had an issue since. Like others have said, the 7sp is a true beast for aggressive driving, and i love it that way. 7sp all the way for me.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
After the software updates the 7 sp is solid. With that said, I have never had any issues with the 5AT shifting. The 5AT tranny has been passed down through a couple of generations of Infiniti's and is very smooth at all speeds.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I've had both and prefer the 7 for accelerating aggressively through the gears but the 5 is better when coasting down and for slower city driving. Took a couple reflashes to get it smoothed out but have been happy w/ the 7 for the last 18 months :-)
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Thank you for the replies everyone!!

These are the exact answers I was looking for.

So 7 speed - better MPG and more fun to drive and sportier.
5 speed - tried and true. Excellent shifting. Goes great with the G35/37, but more calm and subdued.

So it looks like I will let fate decide this one for me. I guess whatever I get a better deal on and whatever I find in the best condition.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by monytx
For some reason I always had the thought that a 7sp auto would feel too much like a cvt. I like feeling my car shift. Kinda why I decided on the 08 instead. I couldn't find a manual here in houston and just gave in because I wanted the damn car so bad..

Haha, yep, part of me wants a manual 6 speed. But I remember my last stick shift car and stop and go traffic everyday....Gets a little annoying.

And not to mention, like you said, it's a lot more difficult to find a 6 speed.

So, now that I'm getting older and am used to driving autos for the past several years, I think I will be happy with an auto G.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:19 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
might take you a while to get use to the 7 vs the 5. If you do alot of city driving go with the 5. The 7 is terrible in city driving, I always get caught flat footed when I want the instant power but it makes up for it on highway speeds imo.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DONTTASEMEBRO
might take you a while to get use to the 7 vs the 5. If you do alot of city driving go with the 5. The 7 is terrible in city driving, I always get caught flat footed when I want the instant power but it makes up for it on highway speeds imo.

This is what I was afraid of. My drive to and from work is mostly highway, but everything else is stop and go city driving. A lot of red lights and stop signs.

I'm sure I would be fine w/ the 7 speed if I end up with one. But I think I am leaning more towards the 5 speed auto at this point.

I just hope the 5 speed auto isn't too much of an underwhelming driving experience.

Quick Reply: 08 G37 5speed auto better than the 7 speed?