G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

08 G37 5speed auto better than the 7 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
This is what I was afraid of. My drive to and from work is mostly highway, but everything else is stop and go city driving. A lot of red lights and stop signs.

I'm sure I would be fine w/ the 7 speed if I end up with one. But I think I am leaning more towards the 5 speed auto at this point.

I just hope the 5 speed auto isn't too much of an underwhelming driving experience.
What would be your definition of underwhelming.

The 5sp is very fun to drive. The only major difference is tat the 7 sp has a more aggressive feeling shift feels a bit more direct.
But the 5sp in this car is not lacking in performance. Check out some old dynos posted on here from back in 07/ 08. It's not the same power robbing automatics that one might be used to in the past. It's actually putting down a comparable amount of power to the wheels as the 6sp. And 0-60/ 1/4 mile times are within a tench of a second on most tests- sometimes showing better (of course that much depends on conditions). I say all that to say that the 5sp was designed and calibrated to deliver what is still a very sporty feel in the G37.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
What KABOOM said ΔΔ
Keep in mind the 5AT was w/ the slightly smaller 3.5 litre and still posts numbers similar to the 3.7 mated w/ the 7AT, you'll get pretty exciting performance from both.

I'd like to see what a 5AT w/ a 3.7 would do
Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
What would be your definition of underwhelming.

The 5sp is very fun to drive. The only major difference is tat the 7 sp has a more aggressive feeling shift feels a bit more direct.
But the 5sp in this car is not lacking in performance. Check out some old dynos posted on here from back in 07/ 08. It's not the same power robbing automatics that one might be used to in the past. It's actually putting down a comparable amount of power to the wheels as the 6sp. And 0-60/ 1/4 mile times are within a tench of a second on most tests- sometimes showing better (of course that much depends on conditions). I say all that to say that the 5sp was designed and calibrated to deliver what is still a very sporty feel in the G37.
Excellent post! This is very encouraging to read.

I guess it's like you said -- I am used to the power robbing automatics of vehicles from the past. It is good to hear that the autos and 6 speeds are running very similar times.

It doesn't sound like I will be underwhelmed no matter what G37 I end up with.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Alot of people say the 5 is better than the 7. I agree to the certain extent, The difference from the G35 and G37 was they retuned the torque band and added some more gears to improve the performance on paper. I drove the G35 and the G37 before I can't really tell a big difference between the two honestly. I call bs when people say they can feel a difference between the two.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
The 7sp is the way to go. The difference in performance is from a standstill through the first 3 gears. Drive both. That's the only way you'll truly understand what you want.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Love my 2013... love the 7 speed... and yes, I've driven more 5AT's that I can count.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
What KABOOM said ΔΔ
Keep in mind the 5AT was w/ the slightly smaller 3.5 litre and still posts numbers similar to the 3.7 mated w/ the 7AT, you'll get pretty exciting performance from both.

I'd like to see what a 5AT w/ a 3.7 would do

Ask any 2008 A/T coupe owner...
Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm on my 3rd G coupe; first a 2007 G35, then a 2009 G37,now a 2013 G37S, all automatics.

The G35 was great until I drove the G37; made the older car feel like a slug.

Styling is improved, too; I loved the G35 but the G37 makes it look like a brick, at least to me...
Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
The VQ37VHR is quite a bit different from the previous generation VQ35HR:
-328 hp vs. 306 (Sedan)
-First production engine from Nissan to use VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) - Google this and watch the Youtube on how it works, very innovative
-Increased compression ratio of 11.0:1(vs. 10.6:1)
-Redline of 7600 rpm vs. 6800 rpm.

In addition, the VQ37VHR engine has been praised by the auto rags as a nice improvement over the VQ35HR in the way of refinement/smoother operation, especially at high rpm where the VQ35HR engine was criticized for NVH and sounding overworked.

I like the more technical summary found here: What changed from the VQ35HR to the VQ37VHR engines? > 370z.com > 370z.com - Magazine

"Nissan improved upon the VQ35HR engine in order to produce more power, cleaner emissions, and greater fuel efficiency. Approximately 35% of the VQ37VHR engine components are newly developed technology, from the revised cylinder head and increased height of the cylinder blocks to the VVEL operation as well as a wider phase CVTC on the intake side. The VQ37VHR also has higher flow exhaust ports, equal length exhaust manifold, longer connecting rods, and greater compression ratio (11:0 versus 10.6:1 in the VQ35HR). Nissan also enlarged the diameter of the crank journal and crankpin, enhanced the durability of the upper and lower oil pans, chain and rocker covers, and valve springs, and revised the oil pump rotor. It is equipped with twin knock sensor, a sound insulating engine cover, symmetric twin intake system, and high flow intake manifold and resin collector. The VQ37VHR offers about 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque, an improvement over the VQ35HR's 306 horsepower and 268 lb-ft of torque."

Also, take a look at the bottom end of this beast: Nissan 370Z Review; Engine (VQ37VHR) > 370z.com > 370z.com - Magazine

Essentially, it uses a bed plate style main bearing cap and can be built to easily sustain over 1000 hp without problems.

If the motor can be criticized for anything, its the fact that it is essentially 'mod-proof' because they are already squeezing everything they can out of it.
The following users liked this post:
WillCo1 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Awesome post socketz! Thanks again.

The VQ is definitely an impressive engine. Over the years I have owned 2 Maximas and an I30. I can't believe that Nissan took the engine all the way from the puny 190 HP to what it is making today.

My dilemma has never been whether to buy a G35 or a G37 -- I am dead set on a G37 coupe. I was just considering whether it would be better to purchase an 08 with the 5 speed auto or the 2009+ with the 7 speed.

After reading through this thread I am now set on a 2009+ with the 7 speed. If I happen to purchase a 7 speed G that never received the ECU/software updates to correct the shifting/lag/hesitation/rough down shifts, I will just take it to the Infinity dealer and pay the hundred or so bucks to get the service performed.

Once again, Thank You all for you help!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
Awesome post socketz! Thanks again.

The VQ is definitely an impressive engine. Over the years I have owned 2 Maximas and an I30. I can't believe that Nissan took the engine all the way from the puny 190 HP to what it is making today.

My dilemma has never been whether to buy a G35 or a G37 -- I am dead set on a G37 coupe. I was just considering whether it would be better to purchase an 08 with the 5 speed auto or the 2009+ with the 7 speed.

After reading through this thread I am now set on a 2009+ with the 7 speed. If I happen to purchase a 7 speed G that never received the ECU/software updates to correct the shifting/lag/hesitation/rough down shifts, I will just take it to the Infinity dealer and pay the hundred or so bucks to get the service performed.

Once again, Thank You all for you help!
The reflash is an official TSB, should be able to get it done on the dealers' dime.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
I believe the dealers are paid to perform the TSB work (similar to warranty work), so ask them and I bet they can check what firmware is installed and whether or not it needs to be updated. At least I can't recall ever paying for a TSB issue to be addressed.

As for VQ35HR in the 07-08, it too is a good little motor that performs well. I was mainly trying to point out that the differences between it and the VQ37VHR are not trivial as some have suggested.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
I believe the dealers are paid to perform the TSB work (similar to warranty work), so ask them and I bet they can check what firmware is installed and whether or not it needs to be updated. At least I can't recall ever paying for a TSB issue to be addressed.

As for VQ35HR in the 07-08, it too is a good little motor that performs well. I was mainly trying to point out that the differences between it and the VQ37VHR are not trivial as some have suggested.

I'm glad you pointed that out. I didn't realize that the engine had received so many improvements/upgrades. I thought it was only minor tinkering to acheive the hp and mpg improvements. I didn't know that some of the internals were actually beefed up and are now capable of handling more hp mods.

And, I didn't know that the redline had been raised in the new G.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:09 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
only gripe I have with it is that why can't they tune the G37s engine to stand toe to toe with the 335i or make the engine alot more responsive.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 AM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DONTTASEMEBRO
only gripe I have with it is that why can't they tune the G37s engine to stand toe to toe with the 335i or make the engine alot more responsive.

Funny; the few times I've messed with a 335i I had no problem with them, but that's because those guys couldn't drive worth a toot.

The "Ultimate Driving Machine" does not always include an ultimate driver...

Quick Reply: 08 G37 5speed auto better than the 7 speed?