G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

08 G37 5speed auto better than the 7 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:25 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
I'm glad you pointed that out. I didn't realize that the engine had received so many improvements/upgrades. I thought it was only minor tinkering to acheive the hp and mpg improvements. I didn't know that some of the internals were actually beefed up and are now capable of handling more hp mods.

And, I didn't know that the redline had been raised in the new G.
No problem as this happens alot. If you look through the forums both here and on G35Driver, the changes between 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd gens are always trivialized, but if you dig into the details, they are normally pretty substantial. I enjoy reading the Z forums and finding this type of info about the base components that we share with the Z.

The bad news is that Infiniti may be at the end of the road as it pertains to trying to squeeze more out of their naturally aspirated VQs.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:36 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
true that, but I got to hand it to BMW they got some damn good engines in there cars.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:55 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

The Germans focus on the delivery of torque throughout the usable power band. Even the lowly GTI with only 200 or so HP feels incredibly adept at routine tasks because the torque is almost omnipresent throughout the powerband. In addition, they use direct injection, which can deliver a 10% improvement in fuel economy vs. the less efficient port based injection the japanese prefer (more reliable long term). They also do things like program each fuel injector individually, which allows optimal the mixture/efficiency, but at a tradeoff to more vanilla approach taken by the Japanese.

In addition, they prefer to use small displacement, lower compression engines with turbos, adding more to the power/efficiency equation, but of course at the cost of reliability.

Attention to minute details, focusing on the overall driving experience = German
Make something repeatable/bulletproof, focusing on reliability = Japanese

Last edited by socketz67; 10-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM
ReD2847

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Most people here that are comparing the 5at to 7at are comparing the g35 5at to a g37 7at. Not very accurate as the engines are different.

Comparing the one g37 with 5at which is the 08 coupe might be a different story.

Keep in mind the 5at has to shift less often, and keeps Rpms higher and we all know these engines make more torque at the higher Rpms.

It would make sense to say 5at is more responsive and possibly faster/aggressive from a standstill or roll but it comes at the cost of worse gas mileage.

Anyone test out both of these to give a truly fair comparison?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ReD2847
Most people here that are comparing the 5at to 7at are comparing the g35 5at to a g37 7at. Not very accurate as the engines are different.

Comparing the one g37 with 5at which is the 08 coupe might be a different story.

Keep in mind the 5at has to shift less often, and keeps Rpms higher and we all know these engines make more torque at the higher Rpms.

It would make sense to say 5at is more responsive and possibly faster/aggressive from a standstill or roll but it comes at the cost of worse gas mileage.

Thats really what I was interested in. The performance differences between the 08 to 09+ G37s. Not really interested in the G35s.

Although, after going through the 1/4 mile times thread, I see that everyone is pretty much in the same ballpark - give or take a few tenths.

I really do need to drive am 08 auto and then a 09+ auto back to back to make a solid decision.

My brother has an auto 350z, maybe I should at least drive that to get an idea--until I have access to some G37s.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I honestly did not realize until now that there was a G37 which shipped with the 5AT.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 AM
ReD2847

Originally Posted by WillCo1
Thats really what I was interested in. The performance differences between the 08 to 09+ G37s. Not really interested in the G35s. Although, after going through the 1/4 mile times thread, I see that everyone is pretty much in the same ballpark - give or take a few tenths. I really do need to drive am 08 auto and then a 09+ auto back to back to make a solid decision. My brother has an auto 350z, maybe I should at least drive that to get an idea--until I have access to some G37s.
Yea it's a good idea to drive them back to back. When you do please be sure to post your results here as I'm also very interested. I mainly just want to know which tranny is straight up faster, the car already sucks on gas either way so I could careless about that.

And yea the 350z a smaller engine but lighter car with 5at would be an interesting test drive.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 AM
ReD2847

Originally Posted by socketz67
I honestly did not realize until now that there was a G37 which shipped with the 5AT.
A lot of people here are on the same boat as you. That why they are comparing 5at on a 3.5 vs 7at on 3.7 and coming to the wrong conclusion about 7at being better not takng into account that it has a bigger engine, it's not the tranny lol The only g37 with 5at is the first, original model which is the 08. Another fact, in 08 they only made a coupe g37, sedans of that year were still g35s until 09 when g37 sedans came out first year. Talk about Infiniti being confusing as hell. Now the new naming of q60 and still keeping the old body style shows that they haven't learned their lesson to stop with the confusion...
Old 10-03-2013, 12:28 AM
halfshaft

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ReD2847

This is not quite true. The 7 speed automatic has shorter gears except for the top end gears. Shorter gears lead directly to greater torque multiplication (gear ratio multiplied by final drive ratio) which means the lower gears in the 7AT actually applies more torque to the wheel at every rpm in 1st gear compared to 1st gear in the 5AT. Because the 7AT has more gear ratios to choose from, it has an easier time keeping the engine in the powerband which will again lead to greater performance and better usage of the engines peak performance. Though as you pointed out, some of this advantage is offset by having to shift more often, but the 7 gear setup is still better. In general more gears is better but beyond a certain number of gears you start to really have diminishing returns. This is why I'm a bit surprised to see some automakers working on 10 speed transmissions.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Yep, this threw me off as well.

I was looking up different used G37s and saw some listed as 5 speed autos. At first I thought it was a mistake. Then I looked up the vehicles official specs and realized that the 1st year of the 2nd gen G does in fact have the 5 speed auto.

Part of why I am so interested in the differences between the 08 and 09+ G37s is because I am seeing so many used 08 G37s for sale...and of course a lot of great deals.

But I think at his point I would rather pay a bit more to get something newer with the 7 speed auto transmission. Especially now that I see most of the 7 speed software kinks have been resolved.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

According to Consumer Reports, the 2008 G scored highest with regards to reliability.

Of course all years scored high, but the 2008 stands out with almost perfect marks across the board.

I think the 2013 will be up there as well since I noticed it still does not seem to have any TSBs. Seems that they finally ironed all of the kinks out of the third gen.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Gwiz2500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can afford it go with the 7AT. I have the 5AT and it revs really high on the highway. I have been given the 7at as a loaner vehicle and the car feels faster and revs alot lower at higway speeds saving you fuel.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gwiz2500
If you can afford it go with the 7AT. I have the 5AT and it revs really high on the highway. I have been given the 7at as a loaner vehicle and the car feels faster and revs alot lower at higway speeds saving you fuel.
Ah, interesting. I drive a Sequoia now that uses a lot of gas because of this. Unless you are going like 50 mph, the rpms are in the mid 2ks.

Feels faster AND better gas mileage... Sounds like a no brainer to me!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

More gears is logical, just more complex to manufacture and balance with the ECU and the rest of the drive train. Does anyone have a 9AT yet? I believe F30 Bimmers are now using an 8AT with good results.

When I was younger and built cars, we used to like to put 2-speed Powerglide trannies in everything with a nasty stall converter because they had two gears that were a perfect match for drag racing light to light...nonetheless, they left alot to be desired on the freeway and did not last that long without a rebuild :-)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
My 07 sedan w/5AT would be around 3k rpm at 75-80mph, my 09 w/ 7 AT is 2.5k rpm so it is a decent mpg improvement if you do a lot of hwy driving. I get about 29 on the hwy and my 07 got about 26.5 FWIW.

Quick Reply: 08 G37 5speed auto better than the 7 speed?