Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hood support strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
DJMatrix1067

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hood support strut replacement

Alright, so I have an 08 G37S with 71000 on it and noticed recently the hood support strut (the little gas shock looking thing that holds the hood up) has given out on it. So, I called a few parts stores and was told this is a dealership only part. I called the dealership and they quoted me $140 for that little thing. I literally asked the guy to verify that we were both talking about the same part. So, I called a friend who runs an auto shop and his cost on that part is $110.

Has anyone had any luck with fitment of any other kind of of hood support? I'm not about to drop 140 bucks to keep my hood open. I mean I know the obvious answer is just to use a hood prop, but I really don't wanna go gettho on it.

I've replaced these before on a few domestics with no troubles. I was able to find parts at local parts stores and the replacement struts cost around 20 bucks.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
My experience with Nissan hood struts is that the OEM ones ate substantially better than cheaper aftermarket ones. I've bought aftermarket ones in the past for $30 I'd so and they seldom last more than a year, maybe two. FWIW.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:58 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
if you need to hold up the hood just clamp the strut with a vise grip
Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM
jmueller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe check with OC infiniti?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by unknowndesi
Old 06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by unknowndesi
Originally Posted by Black Betty

Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hood Struts

Actually gentlemen, Snap On Tools makes a little tool which quickly clamps on and off the strut rod to help in this matter. Often shop mechanics work on older cars which have not had their gas struts fixed and they still have to work on the car. They use this little tool to keep the hood up without damage to the strut rod. Works great and it's under $30.

Also there are numerous shops, one in Canada, who will rebuild and recharge your stock struts sometimes for less than half what an OEM unit will go for. You might try that as well. There might be an aftermarket gas strut which looks like it will fit, but often the ends are different and thus will not work after all. I sure hope they start making a replacement. I've found them for Audi's, Acura's, Honda's, and so on. Funny that the Nissan/Infiniti series ins't covered.

Al
Old 06-29-2012, 04:49 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Granted you can get the clamp, but it's a temporary fix. Do it right and get the strut replaced/fixed.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hood Clamp

No doubt. No disagreement here.

Al
Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 PM
D_Rek

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DashKid
Lmao
Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by black betty
lol classic!!!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
DJMatrix1067

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So basically, the only real response here was the possible rebuild/ recharge.

Any other real ideas?

I used to work in an automotive shop where we used the little snap-on clamp and also hood props. I really wanted to maintain the originality of my car and not have to use a clamp which is why I didn't even mention those options.

The question was about whether anyone had found a suitable aftermarket option to replace the strut. Not asking how to hold my hood open
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
jmueller

Originally Posted by DJMatrix1067

Any other real ideas?

I used to work in an automotive shop where we used the little snap-on clamp and also hood props. I really wanted to maintain the originality of my car and not have to use a clamp which is why I didn't even mention those options.

The question was about whether anyone had found a suitable aftermarket option to replace the strut. Not asking how to hold my hood open
Seems to me that 140 installed (considering the hood requires two people to align properly once it is removed, and its going to cost you a case of beer to get a friend to help) is a pretty good price. Real OEM part is 105$..

2010 G37 Base Right Support cylinder

Assuming this is the correct part.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by DJMatrix1067

Any other real ideas?

Here's a real idea: If you want to maintain the originality of your car, buy the OEM replacement hood struts. I told you of my experience that aftermarket replacements for Nissan hood struts are often of inferior quality and will require more frequent replacement. Yes, they are expensive. Your car itself wasn't cheap so this should have been somewhat expected when buying parts for it. Hopefully this is helpful. If you remove one and measure it you can find an aftermarket replacement. If you decide to gamble and put some aftermarket ones on it from your local auto parts store be sure to update and report on how they hold up over time.

BTW, what part of the country/world are you in? I have an 08 with more miles on it than yours and mine are still fine. I read once that colder climates have to replace them more often than warm ones and have no idea if this is actually true. Just curious.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 08 and both of mine are pretty much shot. Since I'm in Phoenix, the warm climate theory may not be applicable.

Suggested retail is $140 each (a right and a left). Street price is $105 each (25% off retail). So, you're looking at $210 plus tax, etc to replace.

My trunk struts should probably also be replaced. I don't mind proping up the hood with a broom handle, but getting hit on the head by the trunk lid is getting a little old.

Wish the replacement costs were more in line with other hood struts. (Seems kind of weird to pay as much for a hood strut as for a Koni Yellow shock.)

Quick Reply: Hood support strut replacement