Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Grounding Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Nats G37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grounding Kit

Hey ive been looking around and ive herd that grounding kits help response and stuff like that. Is there any diffrence between ground wire i get from an audio store and the one that stillen sells?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Ontario G37S

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Nats G37s
Hey ive been looking around and ive herd that grounding kits help response and stuff like that. Is there any diffrence between ground wire i get from an audio store and the one that stillen sells?
Not likely. Just use the same gauge as stillen and the right end pieces to attach to engine and ground points that they would or Black Betty would use.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Nats G37s

thats what i figured but i was thinking of using a bigger gauge for more current to flow threw
Old 02-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Nats G37s

Like could I get 1/0 gauge wire or 2 gauge and get a better result because I have a JL W7 and a big amplifier so I feel like I'd need a little more then 4gauge
Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 AM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nats G37s
Not really.. I used some left over 4ga wires from my sub amp wiring kit.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Jamler

Haven't been on in a while... But is Black Betty still on here?
He had custom made 8awg grounding kit I installed...
Wires were custom cut for each run with nice pvc coating.

Looks great and on my Auto I noticed in DS mode no delay in shifting
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I tried to buy one from BB a few weeks ago. He messaged me that he wasn't making them anymore.

I could make my own kit, but I have no idea where to connect the wires to.

Anyone ever install these and know where I can get locations for the wires?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
jsp872

yes, Black Betty (jeremy) is still on the forum,
but he has stopped making his grounding kits.
the only way you can get your hands on one of them is to buy it from classified
I found this out, and had to grab a used one
Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Kevalteam

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
I tried to buy one from BB a few weeks ago. He messaged me that he wasn't making them anymore.

I could make my own kit, but I have no idea where to connect the wires to.

Anyone ever install these and know where I can get locations for the wires?

DIY section.... use search~
Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm still here. I don't make or sell grounding wires anymore.

4 gauge wire is sufficient for everything except the most powerful audio setups. As far as grounding points, if you want to emulate what I did feel free to. Take a look at the stickies in the DIY forum and you'll be able to see exactly what points I attached the wires to. They work. For lengths, measure it out with a string or flexible measuring tape and be sure to allow enough slack for obstructions and so that the wires aren't pulled too tight. Use quality terminals and make sure your connections are secure.

If anyone wants some 8 gauge wire, I've got a little bit left and I'll sell you enough to do the job inexpensively. I've also got black, blue, and CF Tech Flex as well. PM me if you want some.

Last edited by Black Betty; 02-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I just made a kit using this thread...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-your-own.html

I combined some of these locations and some of the locations in Black Betty's threas (thanks BB). This mod WORKS hands down. I was amazed on how much smoother the shifting is and how much quicker the triptronic response time is. If you follow the directions for making your own in the above link you won't be sorry.

And also thanks Kev. I was unaware that there was even a DIY for this and thought you had to buy a kit. I didn't think to even check, and it ended up only costing me $37 for everything...instead of buying aftermarket from stillen for $100.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm still here. I don't make or sell grounding wires anymore.

4 gauge wire is sufficient for everything except the most powerful audio setups. As far as grounding points, if you want to emulate what I did feel free to. Take a look at the stickies in the DIY forum and you'll be able to see exactly what points I attached the wires to. They work. For lengths, measure it out with a string or flexible measuring tape and be sure to allow enough slack for obstructions and so that the wires aren't pulled too tight. Use quality terminals and make sure your connections are secure.

If anyone wants sone quality 4 or 8 gauge wire, I've got a little bit left and I'll sell you enough to do the job inexpensively. I've also got black, blue, and CF Tech Flex as well. PM me if you want some.
BB you don't make or sell anymore, whaaaa? Glad that I got one of your products before this happened.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
BB you don't make or sell anymore, whaaaa? Glad that I got one of your products before this happened.
Nope. I took a job and I don't have the time to dedicate to it anymore. It was great for the past several years but it had a few disadvantages too. If folks want grounding wires they can DIY like Mattster.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BB - This news makes my upcoming grounding project more of a project!

Are all the computer electronics properly grounded with the driver side wires? Are there any transmission electronics or grounding points or is the assumption that there is adequate electrical conductivity between the transmission and the block?

Last edited by Coprolite; 02-20-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Coprolite
BB - This news makes my upcoming grounding project more of a project!

Are all the computer electronics properly grounded with the driver side wires? Are there any transmission electronics or grounding points or is the assumption that there is adequate electrical conductivity between the transmission and the block?
I honestly think so. That's not to say that something more extensive that what I did wouldn't or couldn't be beneficial, but more wires is not necessarily better. My though is that if you properly ground the engine, you've properly grounded the transmission as well becasue of their connection. Could you ground the transmission directly? Yes. Would it give more benefit? I honestly dont't know for sure but I don't think it really would. What I designed and sold was meant to be effective and very easy for almost anyone to install. It could have been more extensive but it would increase my cost and the end user's installation difficulty so it was a business decision to make them as simple as I did.

Quick Reply: Grounding Kit