Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trunk lid opening amount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:16 AM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trunk lid opening amount?

When I click the trunk open button in the car or with the fob - or with the button on the back end - the trunk lid opens/unlatches - but there is very little opening of the trunk to put my hand under and lift the lid with.

I noticed that on each side of the trunk lid there is a hydraulic lift rod - and I wondered if it is adjustable at all to pop open more so that a hand can actually get in and under it - and away from road grime and salt crap that we here in the great white north get to deal with.....

I thought about finding a replacement lift rod that has more oomph - but thought I'd ask you folks first - in case my search was off a bit.

thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 AM
apexi350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you happen to have aftermarket trunk spoiler? If it's OEM spoiler, it comes with stronger trunk structs, where you can replace the original one. If you have 3rd party spoiler, then you will need the stronger structs, like the one that comes with the oem spoiler package. Sorry, I don't have the part number of the stronger replacement structs.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 AM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hello there

when I pop my trunk, there is a small space only where I can fit my fingers below and lift the trunk
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I just give the little chrome piece a push or push from the bottom, don't need to get finger fully under there, just enough to push. IMO the trunk is extremely light (at least compared to other cars I've driven) so it doesn't require much to get it up. It is a bit annoying though.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 PM
apcrump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that it's a safety measure. So that if you accidentally push the trunk button and are away from your car it's not extremely noticeable that your trunk is open.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
t-hak
Registered Member

I saw a thread on a BMW 1-series forum about a mod that would completely open the trunk when the latch is popped. It involves installing some "helper" springs on the gas struts.

Hopefully, I won't get a demerit point because of a post to another car forum, but the rules state that posting to other G37 forums is forbidden. This is a BMW forum:

babybmw.net • View topic - open trunk automatically

I don't think I would do it to mine, because I like apcrump's comment about it being a safety measure. I thought it was an interesting idea, though.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 PM
anomalocaris

Cool

The trunk on my wife's CLK350 flys open completely when you hit the switch. It's handy when shopping, your hands are full and you don't want to put items down to open the trunk. The G37 trunk opening works fine for me, either way is good.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 AM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apexi350z
do you happen to have aftermarket trunk spoiler? If it's OEM spoiler, it comes with stronger trunk structs, where you can replace the original one. If you have 3rd party spoiler, then you will need the stronger structs, like the one that comes with the oem spoiler package. Sorry, I don't have the part number of the stronger replacement structs.
Well - I really don't know if this is an OEM spoiler or aftermarket. Based on the history of the car - I'd guess its OEM.

Here's a pic:
Name:  G37Suploadrearspoiler.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  30.3 KB

SO - is this OEM? thanks for the replies. I'd simply like to be able to have the trunk pop open enough for about a 1 inch gap - so I can get my hand in without getting salt/road grime all over it.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 AM
ncpalafox
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is also one of my pet peeves with the car, kinda wish it would pop up all the way or at least just a little more, maybe if someone manufactures aftermarket trunk struts that pop the trunk all the way up
Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM
OnYourKnees

Originally Posted by kkkkken
Well - I really don't know if this is an OEM spoiler or aftermarket. Based on the history of the car - I'd guess its OEM.

Here's a pic:

SO - is this OEM? thanks for the replies. I'd simply like to be able to have the trunk pop open enough for about a 1 inch gap - so I can get my hand in without getting salt/road grime all over it.
Either its OEM or all of ours are fu**ed up. Thats exactly how far mine opens without the spoiler.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 PM
xtremeroller

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine has the same small opening. I just lift it up right above the button.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 AM
t-hak
Registered Member

Yes, that looks like the optional OEM spoiler.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 AM
apexi350z

Originally Posted by kkkkken

Here's a pic:

looks OEM to me. Check the gap on the bottom of the spoiler, between the camera and the Infiniti emblem. IF there is no gap, then it's "most likely" an OEM product. Reason is I bought an aftermarket spoiler, and I couldn't get the bottom spoiler to stick to the trunk, and also it "creeks/flex" when you push down around the 3rd brake light.

IF that's OEM, then maybe the previous owner / installer didn't replace the stronger trunk structs that came with the package?