Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Considering Buying A G37x Coupe - Your Thoughts Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Slapshot1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering Buying A G37x Coupe - Your Thoughts Appreciated

As the title says, I am seriously considering purchasing a G37x, from either the 2011, or 2013 model year. All wheel drive is a necessity for me from approximately mid November until mid-April due to living in an area that averages 80 inches of snow a year. It's also critical because I have a series of hills to traverse leaving and returning to my home, including one that is very steep. All of my neighbors, as a result, purchase only all wheel/4 wheel drive vehicles.

I have a few questions I would greatly appreciate input on.

How well does the G37x do in the snow? I've read some widely varying opinions). Also, please take into account, I would be using high performance winter tires, as I have had to do with all my previous vehicles.

How much does the G37x (I would only purchase one with the sports package) really give away to the non awd model in performance and handling? I've owned everal Audi's, and an extra 200 pounds, with this power and weight ratio, shouldn't be any issue, but opinions vary here too:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...e-in-snow.html

I've read reviews that stated the G37 coupe series suffers from a significant amount of road noise. Is that accurate?

Lastly, would those of you who own one purchase another one?

Thank you for any input, recommendations or advice. The help is greatly appreciated. I'm in need of the vehicle I choose serving me faithfully for a long time (6-8 years) due to a forced early retirement situation and making the right choice is extremely important. That said, I obviously want handling, performance and comfort at a high level.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:59 PM
G-thirty7X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I came from an Audi A4, now have a '12 G37X. No regrets yet! I'd say go for it. Infiniti is way more of a logical choice vs Audi (IMO). You're going to need to get an S4 to come close to the g37 in terms of performance.

My Old Audi was a B5, so it wasn't quite as refined as the newer generations. The G37x is definitely quieter inside, rides smoother and feels like I think a car should.

This fall/winter will be my first in the X, it's going to be interesting that's for sure.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:29 PM
drkay
Premier Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
I have a g37xS coupe and I do drive it in the winter. I have a dedicated set of winter tires and rims. It performs extremely well well in the winter; a lot better than my Audi A5 and Q5 both with the Quattro all-wheel-drive system. But it does not perform as well as my Mercedes C class with the 4matic system. I believe that system is front wheel drive biased. By far the Infiniti is the most fun vehicle to drive. I do agree that it has a lot of road noise. I got a good set of summer tires and that helped a lot but it is still not as quiet as my other vehicles. Definitely find one with the sport package.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 PM
G-thirty7X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by drkay
I have a g37xS coupe and I do drive it in the winter. I have a dedicated set of winter tires and rims. It performs extremely well well in the winter; a lot better than my Audi A5 and Q5 both with the Quattro all-wheel-drive system. But it does not perform as well as my Mercedes C class with the 4matic system. I believe that system is front wheel drive biased. By far the Infiniti is the most fun vehicle to drive. I do agree that it has a lot of road noise. I got a good set of summer tires and that helped a lot but it is still not as quiet as my other vehicles. Definitely find one with the sport package.
Do you use the SNOW mode at all?

I'm excited for the first snow!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Slapshot1

Originally Posted by drkay
Thanks for the input. The road noise concerns me a bit, as even with performance cars, I like a quiet interior unless you are letting it rip. I had a Porsche Cayman S a few years ago, which was a fabulous car, in terms of handling, especially, but the road noise wore me down when I used it as a daily driver.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Slapshot1

Originally Posted by G-thirty7X
I came from an Audi A4, now have a '12 G37X. No regrets yet! I'd say go for it. Infiniti is way more of a logical choice vs Audi (IMO). You're going to need to get an S4 to come close to the g37 in terms of performance. .
I'm debating between going with a 2010 S5 or a G37x, and the G would save me some serious money.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Slapshot1
I'm debating between going with a 2010 S5 or a G37x, and the G would save me some serious money.
Try to find the G37X"S", the S pkg has a lot of nice upgrades and may not be that much of a premium if you're buying used. The big Sport brakes alone are worth $1500
Here's a helpful post from Landshark~
Originally Posted by Landshark
i didn't know about the Sport package until i saw one at the local dealership (which i ended up buying). i test drove a regular G37x before that, and glad i found out about the S. you really get a lot - the sport seats have adjustable upper and lower bolsters, and the front extends out for extra thigh support if you want it.

Sport Package

Key Features

Old 09-26-2015, 12:45 AM
Slapshot1

Originally Posted by blnewt
Try to find the G37X"S", the S pkg has a lot of nice upgrades and may not be that much of a premium if you're buying used. The big Sport brakes alone are worth $1500
Here's a helpful post from Landshark~
You're absolutely right. I would only consider a car with the Sport package
Old 09-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i will be getting some snow tires to put on the factory wheels (19", not exactly ideal for snow driving ), and swapping the tires that are on it currently for some nice easy-to-clean 5 spokes.

curious to see how the G performs in snow. i'm coming from Subarus and an Evo X, so we'll see. previous cars had full-time AWD, so the comparison will be interesting.

i'm sure it will be competant with some snow tires, unlike a new Honda.
Looks Like The 2015 Honda CR-V's AWD System Doesn't Work At All
Old 09-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Slapshot1

i will be getting some snow tires to put on the factory wheels (19", not exactly ideal for snow driving ), and swapping the tires that are on it currently for some nice easy-to-clean 5 spokes.

curious to see how the G performs in snow. i'm coming from Subarus and an Evo X, so we'll see. previous cars had full-time AWD, so the comparison will be interesting.

i'm sure it will be competant with some snow tires, unlike a new Honda.
Looks Like The 2015 Honda CR-V's AWD System Doesn't Work At All
Agreed that 19" tires are not the best option, but I've been in a similar situation myself and it worked. I have been buying and using snow tires on high perfrmance cars for the last fifteen years due to my situation and know a fair bit about how they perform. I would strongly recommend the current version of the Dunlop Winter Sport Series, the Winter Maxx. After getting some advice years ago from a friend who is an Audi exec, based on the Porsche engineers testing every available snow tire in the Arctic, I moved to those and have never looked back. As recently as last year, a guy I know at Tire Rack was still recommending them as the only high performance winter tire that really worked in all conditions. Note, the Blizzaks are phenomenal in snow, but are like bricks on dry or wet roads.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:36 AM
Slapshot1

I just re-read your post and learned something I was unaware of. The G37X is not full time AWD?

And I know Subarus rock in the snow, but how was the Evo X?
Old 09-26-2015, 02:14 PM
jman09

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I just re-read your post and learned something I was unaware of. The G37X is not full time AWD?

And I know Subarus rock in the snow, but how was the Evo X?
both the evo and subie will be much better than the G37x in the snow. the G37x does have a snow mode which keeps it locked in awd up to 15 mph or so, so that helps.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Slapshot1

Originally Posted by jman09
both the evo and subie will be much better than the G37x in the snow. the G37x does have a snow mode which keeps it locked in awd up to 15 mph or so, so that helps.
It's starting to sound like the G37x simply won't provide the snow performance I need. For example, the hill that I live at the top of requires at least 30mph when you reach the bottom to even ensure that you make it up to the halfway point. And trust me, not making it to the halfway point when the road is covered in snow is not something you ever choose to have happen!

Oh well, on to other options, it would seem, which is unfortunate. A G37x would have saved me a lot of money, not to mention their reliability is solid as a rock. Both things I was looking for.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:19 PM
Emillion45

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Snow tires will make an absolute world of difference. I made it through this winter in New England driving on All-Season Michelins. Hills and all. I'm very happy with my decision to depend on the G as a daily driver.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
It's starting to sound like the G37x simply won't provide the snow performance I need. For example, the hill that I live at the top of requires at least 30mph when you reach the bottom to even ensure that you make it up to the halfway point. And trust me, not making it to the halfway point when the road is covered in snow is not something you ever choose to have happen!

Oh well, on to other options, it would seem, which is unfortunate. A G37x would have saved me a lot of money, not to mention their reliability is solid as a rock. Both things I was looking for.
It isn't full time awd, however once the rear tires slip it sends power to the front as well, so in theory you shouldn't have issues getting up the hill as it would be sending power to the fronts if the rears don't have enough traction to do it themselves.

Quick Reply: Considering Buying A G37x Coupe - Your Thoughts Appreciated