Sponsored By:

Those who maintain their own car

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
ncpalafox
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those who maintain their own car

Do you take your car in for the major services/inspections? (ex, 15k, 30k)

Also what is the best way to keep a legitimate maintenance record? I would assume a log book with receipts and the mileage written down and what you did? any other things I can do to keep my records legit?

What do you guys do? I want to maintain my own car cuz i cant justify having the dealer do my oil changes and filter changes when I certainly know how to wrench a car myself and cuz i never trust that anyone is putting the oil i want in my car without literally seeing it myself

another thing, whats your take on dealers telling you warranty cannot be honored if you don't maintain through them?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I maintain my G 100% myself. I don't take my G in for the major services either, because I really don't think anything significant gets done.

For records, yeah receipts and whatnot.

And if they tell you warranty won't be honored unless they do the work, that's BS. Although in my experience if you have legitimate warranty work that needs to be done, it has nothing to do with the work you've done.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by ncpalafox

another thing, whats your take on dealers telling you warranty cannot be honored if you don't maintain through them?
It's against Federal law!!!

FTC regulations state: (c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. (15 U.S.C.2302(C))
Old 02-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Breitling65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> another thing, whats your take on dealers telling you warranty cannot be honored

I would change that kind dealer. My G is 10K miles and I do oil change by dealer with my own oil and no plans to do anything else until probably new brake pads required. I do tire rotation myself and I would do oil change as well just don't have this abilities. Fallow your car maintenance book and not what dealer telling you to do. They need money and I know cases when they are damaging car parts purposely to you to comeback soon and overcharge again (not Infiniti dealers, but happened to my friends).
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
tharbemiko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread but what do you mean by receipts? Receipts of oil and filter bought from the store? Would this receipt + mileage written down in a journal suffice? I'm just a little concerned because the dealer told me it wasn't a wise idea to do my own oil changes if I didn't have "official records"
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tharbemiko
Sorry to bring back an old thread but what do you mean by receipts? Receipts of oil and filter bought from the store? Would this receipt + mileage written down in a journal suffice? I'm just a little concerned because the dealer told me it wasn't a wise idea to do my own oil changes if I didn't have "official records"

Write the mileage on your oil receipts, thats all thats needed.

Of course its not a wise idea, youre taking money away from the dealer!!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 PM
tharbemiko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha good point. But is it alright if my receipts of the motor oil are old? I bought the oil a while ago because they were on sale.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I do not record or keep record of all my work on any of my vehicles or previous vehicles.

I do all my own work on cars and house, probably because I am cheap and my parents have raised me to be self reliant, also I never had a silver spoon because I came from a poor family. Also Trust No One.

If you are to sell your vehicle mileage and condition are the only factors effecting value. Not how frequent you change oil or any service provided, it does not effect the working condition of the vehicle.

I do change my oil/belts/pumps/plugs/seals more frequently than the recommended oil changes in any vehicle I drive, but I am not about to keep a library of receipts for everything I buy.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I keep an excel spread sheet for anything that get's done ... and receipts, all of them.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM
csnpsu

I maintain my G 100% myself. I do not think it is worth the time or money for most services. Also I don’t trust anyone but myself. I worked at 2 dealerships when I was young and most people there could care less about your car. It is just a job for them but when I work on my car I take pride in the work.

For records, I keep receipts and write down the millage and date of all the service I perform in the maintenance book.

and TVpostsound answered this one for you.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

I scan the receipts, and do not use the dealer for oil changes unless I need to be there for some other service (like if I scrape my damn wheel again!). That's BS about the dealer not honoring a warranty if you don't use them for service, and speaks volumes as to the ethics & credibility of that dealership. I wouldn't go back.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never had an oil change done for me. I do all of my own work with the exception of the timing belt on my old car, which I tried and couldn't finish. I don't keep any receipts or records, but maintain my cars regularly and on schedule. I keep my cars a long time and then trade them in. The dealerships never even look at the cars. Sure I might do a little better selling it private sale, but it's a hassle and if I trade the car in I save on sales tax.

When I got my G a few months ago, we traded in my wife's Merc. The dealership I bought it from gives 2 years/24k free scheduled maintenance. But it's far from my house (45min each way). So I'm debating whether I should waste 4 hours of my life to save $30 for an oil change. I can do it with Mobil 1 in 25 minutes for $30 (thanks Costco). But yeah, they definitely said I would void my warranty by doing the oil changes myself. Which is utter BS.