Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:00 PM
JLCann1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The S is the only way to go, RWD FTW!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 PM
britishmutt

I just replied to your PM and then saw this thread, so I'll stick my tuppenceworth in here too

Originally Posted by jryanp
Hey everyone, I'm really serious about purchasing a G37 coupe this week, but I needed all you G37 owners to help me out by answering a couple questions for me before I make the move.

1. G37s or G37x?
I went with the x (sedan, not coupe). I live in Nor Cal so most of the year I won't be seeing snow, but I do go up to Tahoe fairly often and I wanted something that could deal with that weather when it came up. I also don't care about MT or the suspension/brakes from the S package, so it wasn't as big of a barrier for me.

2. Insurance?
Espensive, for me in SF

3. Midnight black grill or not?
Hahaha kind of stupid question but just wanted your opinion.
Depends on the paint Also, there's already a bunch of chrome on the car, so just deleting the grill doesn't really change it much in my mind. Someone else here completely dechromed their car and it looked pretty sweet but too much effort for me

I think I'm going to have a very hard time with this, especially because I'm:
1. a girl
2. 25, but I look like im 17 or something!
You now have the attention of 90% of the membership

3. total newb to car buying
Dealers aren't going to really take my negotiations seriously are they?
It's true that they might not take you seriously at first, but once it becomes obvious that you've done your research then they'll start to listen. Go armed with price quotes from other dealers, know your incentives (find them on edmunds.com - currently $1000 off plus 0%), check actual sale prices from your region (truecar.com, also the forums on edmunds.com). If they start messing you around, walk away.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:23 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always found that your best bet is to email the internet sales managers for as many dealers as you can and get their best offers. Then pick the best one!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Clutchr6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have an example of what email they sent out to dealers. So we can fill in the blanks?

How do we let the dealer know we are serious buyers?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by Clutchr6
Anyone have an example of what email they sent out to dealers. So we can fill in the blanks?

This was my experience: I built the car as I wanted it on Infiniti's website, then used the 'Request a quote' feature to email the local dealers my spec. The system only allows you to send to one dealer at a time, so I had to go through the process multiple times to email all the dealers in my area. In every case (8 or 9 dealers) I received a form email back from the dealer which contained a bunch of inane questions (like whether or not I'd test driven the car, whether or not I really wanted that paint colour, etc.). None of them talked prices, and all of them said I should come down to the dealership to talk in person.

So, I replied to each directly by email saying basically the same thing: that I wanted a firm quote on the car as configured. That's when I started to see differences in how dealers handled it. Only three of the dealers actually wrote back with the info requested (and also to tell me that my configuration didn't exist and I would need to special order it). Another four of them avoided the question and once again asked me about changing my options or coming in for a test drive. One dealer didn't reply at all. Another one refused to use email, even though he called himself the Internet Manager, and insisted on doing everything over the phone (he even asked me for my credit card to put down a deposit, without ever giving me a price!).

As for being taken seriously, I direct you to my previous post: make sure you've done your research and then be prepared to press the dealers for specifics. If they don't play ball, walk away and find a dealer that will.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its too bad you missed the VPP deal. The price is non-negotiable so the pressure quotient is down a little (still had to go round and round over the leasing terms). They will probably do that again at some point but who knows when...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Beer Magazine

Go on edmunds and configure the car. It lists what the "others are paying" and it's pretty accurate. I think right now $1K below invoice is common..with the APR.

I can't see what color combo you want is special order...seems like they all are available around here. I don't think you'll need the X. I lived in CT and never had issues with RWD. If you live in Jersey snow is much more rare.

Just use auto trader and look around. The VPP thing isn't that great of a deal. I got less than a VPP by just walking in.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 PM
jryanp

Talking

ok so first off, i want to thank everyone who answered my questions through PMs and on this thread!!

i just came back from ordering my G37.
All of your advice worked! I think I got a good deal?
I hope you guys agree because if not, I'll be pretty sad! hahaha

special ordered 2010 G37S Coupe 6MT + nav, IKP, midnight black grille, spoiler (MSRP: 44,345)...selling it to me for 40,695, and promised to deduct any incentives as well as give me any special rate financing available at the time of delivery. (made sure to get this all on paper)

*crosses fingers* hoping everything else will work out just fine!

did anyone else feel really bad when they had to turn down one of the dealers? because the one i had to turn down was the nicest (i mean NICEST!!) out of ALL the dealers i contacted, but he was a lot farther and this dealer matched his price
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
jryanp

Originally Posted by Clutchr6

I took everyone's advice. I went onto edmunds.com and found the "TMV" price for the car and options I wanted, then I requested the free quotes from all the dealers around me.
At first, like britishmutt said, NO ONE wanted to talk price. I kept getting phone calls (didn't answer), and they all told me that I would need to come in. I was getting extremely frustrated at this point!!
Anyways, next what I did was when I requested the free quotes on edmunds, in the comment box, I put something like:

Hi, I am very serious about purchasing a __***insert exact vehicle and options, etc here***_. I want this exact color combination with these options, and I understand I may need to have it special ordered. I am looking to pay about $______ for it. Let me know if that is possible, and I will be in tomorrow to close the deal. Thank you for your time.

(in your case, you can probably leave out the part about exact specifications and ordering haha i'm sure you aren't as picky as i am :x)

also, i decided to not use my e-mail, which probably gave away that i was a girl!! haha so i used my bf's e-mail and his name instead, and WOW i received much better responses!
not all of them, but a few started talking prices and negotiating was so much easier!

my mistake when e-mailing was asking "what is the best price you can give me?"... no one wants to tell you that. so just ask for a price and start from there.

oh, and supposedly end of april is the end of a quarter, so dealers want to make a sale right now.

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited by jryanp; 04-28-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
jryanp

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Go on edmunds and configure the car. It lists what the "others are paying" and it's pretty accurate. I think right now $1K below invoice is common..with the APR.
crap, do current incentives and special rate financing apply to orders? they made it seem like they can only give me what will be available at time of delivery. is that true?

I can't see what color combo you want is special order...seems like they all are available around here...
amethyst graphite, with graphite interior. apparently the G37S 6MTs are rare on the east coast.

I don't think you'll need the X. I lived in CT and never had issues with RWD. If you live in Jersey snow is much more rare..
awesome!!!
sounds good to me!! did you put winter tires on?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok so first off, i want to thank everyone who answered my questions through PMs and on this thread!!

i just came back from ordering my G37.
All of your advice worked! I think I got a good deal?
I hope you guys agree because if not, I'll be pretty sad! hahaha

special ordered 2010 G37S Coupe 6MT + nav, IKP, midnight black grille, spoiler (MSRP: 44,345)...selling it to me for 40,695, and promised to deduct any incentives as well as give me any special rate financing available at the time of delivery. (made sure to get this all on paper)

*crosses fingers* hoping everything else will work out just fine!

did anyone else feel really bad when they had to turn down one of the dealers? because the one i had to turn down was the nicest (i mean NICEST!!) out of ALL the dealers i contacted, but he was a lot farther and this dealer matched his price
Congrats, sounds like a good deal!

But I'd be worried about that "special rate financing". I would definitely have them get the exact number in writing before you sign anything or pay any deposit. I've had a dealer lie to my face about my credit when I had just checked the score myself.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM
britishmutt

Yeah, sounds good!

Yeah, I really liked the guy I was dealing with at Beshoff but ended up going elsewhere because they're too far away from where I live.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
jryanp

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Congrats, sounds like a good deal!

But I'd be worried about that "special rate financing". I would definitely have them get the exact number in writing before you sign anything or pay any deposit. I've had a dealer lie to my face about my credit when I had just checked the score myself.
ok good. because if someone here told me it wasn't that great of a deal, i think i'd be VERY SAD haha

eek. see, all these things to worry about! i wish buying a car was as easy as buying anything else haha. well the guy wrote down the monthly payment using the 2.9% APR for 60 months on the paper, which came out to about $702/month or so after $5,000 down.
is that good enough as to having an exact number in writing? i hope so because i signed it

and they didn't check my credit... they said they'll run the credit check when the car comes in. i'm graduating in 2 weeks, and wont be licensed until around july, but i'm already an intern with the company, and have the offer letter.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
jryanp

Originally Posted by britishmutt

Yeah, I really liked the guy I was dealing with at Beshoff but ended up going elsewhere because they're too far away from where I live.
ok good, i'm not the only one! i feel awful about it =T