Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help needed before I purchase a G37!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
jryanp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed before I purchase a G37! *Updated for more questions*

Hey everyone, I'm really serious about purchasing a G37 coupe this week, but I needed all you G37 owners to help me out by answering a couple questions for me before I make the move.

1. G37s or G37x?

So this was the biggest dilemma for me. I live in South Jersey which I'd say it probably snows a MAXIMUM of 5 days total throughout winter, and some years we don't even get that much. My biggest concern is I'm going to be a pharmacist by this summer, and as a new pharmacist you usually don't have a set store, so you have to be driving to different pharmacies all over Jersey. I really want the G37s with the manual but it really seems like the G37x would be the more practical solution. However, optioned out it's more expensive, there is no sports package, and no manual. How do winter tires fare off in the snow with the G37s?

Also, how does the car behave in raining conditions? This will be my first RWD car so I need an idea how it behaves in the rain. I'm asking this because when driving through some deeper puddles at moderate speeds in my FWD car, it catches me off guard.

2. Insurance?

Any G37s owners living in Jersey? Would you be able to tell me what the annual insurance rates for your car?

3. Midnight black grill or not?
Hahaha kind of stupid question but just wanted your opinion.

Any feedback would be great! Hopefully by the end of this week I'll be a new G37 owner! Thank you!

*EDIT*

I got a few more questions

It's the the end of the month quarter and I'm aware that dealers will be offering some pretty good deals, BUT....

If I get my G37 built to my specific specifications, will the sale count for this month/quarter? Will they still be able to offer the special deals they are offering for the cars they have on the lot?

Will I be able to negotiate prices like you would for a car they have on the lot?

And for anyone who had their G37 built, if you could please give me an estimated time length it took to arrive.

Again thank you all so much!!!!

Last edited by jryanp; 04-27-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: More Questions
Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. I'm from CA so I have no experience to answer this one. But I still vote for the S over the X if you don't spend too much time in the snow with it. Manual over AT.

2. Only way to find out is shop around, everyone has different needs and background. Go online and get some quotes.

3. Either midnight grill or all black grill (paint it afterward). There's a ton of pictures of this on the forum.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
after this winter im glad i got the AWD.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
csnpsu

1) if your driving a lot get the X

2) The rates all depend on your driving record

3) might not want to get black if you have to drive a lot, the paint is soft and will chip if you do a lot of highway driving.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Jamler

Get the S... Best bang for your buck... Period.
I'm in NJ, and insurance rates have tons of variables, so to provide
relative comments, you need to define, Sex/Age/Location/#miles driven per day/Deductible
All play into the overall cost of insurance...

I like the Chrome Grill on mine, as it really is the only chrome on the vehicle,
but that said, the black grill looks hot too... Personally, I'd like a CF one
Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1) I would get the S if you live in Jersey. The winter tires will be fine for a state like that
2) From what I've seen, insurance in Jersey sucks no matter what car you have, just have to deal I guess
3) I painted my own grille about a week after picking up the G, but then get an aftermarket grille, so if you're going to keep the OEM one, personally I'd get the black one but if you're going to get aftermarket then save the money
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Live in MD, had lots of snow this winter. Didn't take it out in the bad weather but we did end up putting Blizzaks on it. Made a difference but not invincible. Have an Xterra for that.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G37S for sure. I'd just let it sit the days it snows....
Old 04-27-2010, 03:22 PM
jryanp

Unhappy

Thank you everyone for the replies!

So I've decided I want to go with the G37S Coupe 6MT.
I hope I don't regret it when it snows, and I can't get to work b/c I may not have any other car to drive!

However, now I have another issue. I've decided on the exact color combo and options I want, and it looks like I'll need to have the car special ordered. I'm a complete newb at buying a car, and the whole process is frustrating me!

I've read the threads/posts in the buying and leasing section and I've e-mailed dealers. None of the dealers want to answer any questions about price...

I test drove a G37x coupe a few weeks back, and when I recently e-mailed the sales guy about the G37S 6MT. He said the best he could do right now was "take $1000 of MSRP!". -_- I know the dealers receive $1000 incentive right now, so that's basically selling it to me at MSRP!

I think I'm going to have a very hard time with this, especially because I'm:
1. a girl
2. 25, but I look like im 17 or something!
3. total newb to car buying
Dealers aren't going to really take my negotiations seriously are they?

Sorry this is such a long post. If anyone could give me any advice (especially about special ordering a car), I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks again!!

Last edited by jryanp; 04-27-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$1000 off MSRP doesn't sound like that great of a deal. Ask for a definitive number on price. I know it's a generalization but I think if you talked to them in person or over the phone, they might try to get the best of you so I'd keep everything to email. Let them know you're a serious buyer and if all the options work out, you can meet down there for paperwork the next day....etc

What I did was shopped around different dealerships, including ones that were 5 hrs away to get the best pricing (500 below invoice). Got it in writing (email). Called the closest dealerships and if they can match it, I'll be down there the same day to close the deal.

20min later, I'm at the dealership with the car I want. It's amazing how quickly they're willing to work out something for you (trade with other dealerships for the car I want) when they know you're ready to buy on that day.

Use the forum too to see what others have been paying for the year/model you want and go from there.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 04-27-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM
xigris

I can go with you and help you at the dealer.....we G37 owners need to stick together....
Old 04-27-2010, 04:28 PM
jryanp

thanks for the advice ucla bruin! will try e-mailing with a definitive price now, instead of just asking for a price.

Originally Posted by xigris
I can go with you and help you at the dealer.....we G37 owners need to stick together....
haha thanks! too bad you live a billion miles away
Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 PM
jryanp

Does anyone know if I special order a car, will the incentives and special APR deals still apply? For example, there is a $1000 cash to dealer incentive and also the special 2.9% APR financing for 60 months, but it ends June 30th. If I special order now, the car will probably not be here until August.

Last edited by jryanp; 04-27-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 PM
svp6

1. You will have much less buying power when ordering than when picking up the car of the dealer's lot.
2. Ordering a specific combo from Infiniti is not necessarily straightforward - I was told by two dealers that they have a limited allocation and then they have to swap. The worst you could do is have them find a vehicle that matches your requirement, and then charge you for shipping the car to their dealership.
3. If you can live with a combo that you can find in your area, and would be willing to get the car on the spot, get the Consumer Report market value, or look up and configure the true market value from Edmunds. You will be very close to what you can actually get, and let the dealer know you did your homework.

Re manual vs automatic it is a matter of preference. Sure the manual will be somewhat sportier, but are you willing to keep shifting neutral -first in stop-and-go traffic? I have the automatic, and it is plenty fast....

Re all wheel drive vs RWD, depends if you can afford it. Probably you will need good winter tires first (if you get sport package with performance tires forget about driving in any sort of snow, winter tires are a must....). If you can afford both, it will add to your safety. I drove both RWD car with winter tires (Merc) and AWD car also with winter tires (BMW), AWD was clearly better. Sometime people get the navigation package first (looks good!) but save on what is more important for safety... For the record, I did get the G37x with the fancies and will get winter tires. Again a question of how much you can afford.

Finally, consider lease if the price is too high for you. If you plan to get another car in 3 years, and your financial situation will only improve (as it sounds), you will get much more car for the same monthly payment. INfiniti has a good promo, 39 mo with 389/mo (obviously with options little more than that) - check the site.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 PM
jryanp

Originally Posted by da mayor
after this winter im glad i got the AWD.
yea... that's what i'm afraid of haha. but it's such a shame b/c winters like that only happen like once every 10 years!
just watch, after i purchase the S, the following winters will be crazy.

Quick Reply: Help needed before I purchase a G37!