G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Car does not beep and cigarette lighter not working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM
DevilsZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car does not beep and cigarette lighter not working?

Hey all,

I have used the search function and have not been able to find a definitive answer. For some reason my car no longer honks/beeps when I close it either with the remote or the door button. Also my lighter outlet no longer seems to work (it does heat but would not not stay down and my radar does not work).

From looking around it seems that I should check my fuses as a good first step. Those fuses should be in the foot well? Also when I was getting gas today the car overfilled but it is probably not connected since its mechanical rather than electrical fuel limiter?

Finally if all else fails and I take it to the dealer should I uninstall the grounding kit (only 'mod') that I have?

Any help would be great!

Last edited by DevilsZ; 09-28-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilsZ
Hey all,

I have used the search function and have not been able to find a difinitive answer. For some reason my car no longer honks/beeps when I close it either with the remote or the door button. Also my lighter outlet no longer seems to work (it does heat but would not not stay down and my radar does not work).

From looking around it seems that I should check my fuses as a good first step. Those fuses should be in the foot well? Also when I was getting gas today the car overfilled but it is probably not connected since its mechanical rather than electrical fuel limiter?

Finally if all else fails and I take it to the dealer should I uninstall the grounding kit (only 'mod') that I have?

Any help would be great!
I think you are on the right track. Sounds like a fuse issue to me. If all checks out OK there certainly check for a loose ground. My car has the fuses in the driver's side foot well on the left side by the hood release.
Good luck!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey all,

I have used the search function and have not been able to find a difinitive answer. For some reason my car no longer honks/beeps when I close it either with the remote or the door button. Also my lighter outlet no longer seems to work (it does heat but would not not stay down and my radar does not work).

Any help would be great!

Actually most of this does not seem fuse related with the possible exception of the radar but let's leave that one for last.

If your horn does not honk when you lock it check that it's not in Hazard Indicator Mode (in the manual) which will not sound the horn. To switch between modes push and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on your fob until the hazard flashes.

For the lighter, you're saying it heats but does not "stay down". That's not an electrical issue if it heats = power. Your lighter may be the problem.

For the radar, where is it connected? Are you saying you use the cigarette lighter plug or is it hard wired? Did you try it in another plug to make sure it's not the radar detector or cord?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Don't worry about taking your grounding wires off of the car if you take it in.

As far as your other issues, it sounds a bit unusual. If you can't find any fuses blown out, take it in to the dealer. There's also a fuse box inside the battery compartment.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:19 PM
DevilsZ

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
Actually most of this does not seem fuse related with the possible exception of the radar but let's leave that one for last.

If your horn does not honk when you lock it check that it's not in Hazard Indicator Mode (in the manual) which will not sound the horn. To switch between modes push and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on your fob until the hazard flashes.

For the lighter, you're saying it heats but does not "stay down". That's not an electrical issue if it heats = power. Your lighter may be the problem.

For the radar, where is it connected? Are you saying you use the cigarette lighter plug or is it hard wired? Did you try it in another plug to make sure it's not the radar detector or cord?

Thanks everybody for the replies,

My radar is connected to the lighter plug and I am pretty sure that it went out the same time as the horn signal when the doors lock. This is actually pretty strage since everything else is working.

I will definitely check that Hazard Indicator mode, all the fuses as well as for loose grounding (grounding kit could cause this?) after work today.

What about the fuel tank? Can a fuel tank overfilling be an electrical issue?

I'll keep yall updated on my progress in case somebody else runs into the same issue.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:24 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

My radar is connected to the lighter plug and I am pretty sure that it went out the same time as the horn signal when the doors lock. This is actually pretty strage since everything else is working.

I will definitely check that Hazard Indicator mode, all the fuses as well as for loose grounding (grounding kit could cause this?) after work today.

What about the fuel tank? Can a fuel tank overfilling be an electrical issue?

I'll keep yall updated on my progress in case somebody else runs into the same issue.

Fuel tank overfilling is more of an issue with the pump nozzle not shutting off when it detects the back pressure than anything in the car.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 AM
amoy329

I don't think you were suppose to connect the radar to the lighter plug.
From the G37 Coupe owners manual(p.2-41): "The cigarette lighter socket is a power source for the cigarette lighter element only."

The power outlet for electronics is located in the center console under the arm rest.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
yakuzapop

ok...... Did you unplugged Battery before ?? Or Have you worked on any Wire mod recently?
If you did not touch anything and car should not casue those problems.
probably its not a fuse issue or anything......

I know about it because my car had same problem before kkkkkkkkkkkk
Old 10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by amoy329
I don't think you were suppose to connect the radar to the lighter plug.
From the G37 Coupe owners manual(p.2-41): "The cigarette lighter socket is a power source for the cigarette lighter element only."

The power outlet for electronics is located in the center console under the arm rest.
I saw that comment and the only difference I can see in the service manual between the cigarette lighter socket and the center console power socket is the cigarette socket has a built in switch that I assume is closed when a plug is inserted into the socket. There's no technical reason why that alone would be the problem (both sockets are otherwise identical and fused at 15A each).
Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 AM
DevilsZ

You guys are awesome, tnx for replies. Car not beeping was the Hazard mode which fixed the problem. I did replace a cigarette lighter fuse located in the driver's foot well. There are spare fuses in there as well as the fuse puller (tnx infiniti). -> radar fixed. Cigarette lighter still won't stay down but I guess that an issue with the lighter itself that I will have to look at (i don't use it that much anyway). All in all an easy fix.