Sponsored By:

My Gen 2 Coupe Analysis.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
JDM_CPV35
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My Gen 2 Coupe Analysis.

I want to give a designer's perspective on the Gen 2 coupe. They went from sports coupe to 2 door family car. This analysis is purely based on the pictures that have been released so far. All the sexiness the current G possesses is gone. Here's my analysis, not that anyone cares, and perhaps my negativity will 'make more sense':

The Front
The swooping front fascia looks NOTHING like the concept. Headlights look GREAT, much better than the current headlights, but thats where it ends. I agree with the SC430ish statement made by a few members. I feel that the elongated trapezoidal bumper ducts are a signature G design element. That is gone now. The grill is okay, but I feel the current grill is a bit nicer.

The Side
They managed to keep the voluptuous roof line our cars have, which is a good thing. This I would say is another signature G design element. From the side, it still maintains a nice profile, but those ugly lower valence indentations (both on the concept and production car) are very out of place. At least they toned the indentations down a bit for the production version. They have no flow with the rest of the side, and looks like an afterthought. Wheels look pretty cool, but lack the sportiness the oem 18" and 19" wheels had.

The Rear
This is where I feel the most harm was done. The tail lights kind of resemble the current ones, but I think they are just a bit too big. The concept's tail lights were a pretty good size. Good thing to see they kept the dual LED rings on the tail lights for the production version. The concept had the nice integrated exhaust, but I knew that wasn't going to make it into the production version. Instead they chose to go with a simple rear valence, which in my opinion does the job. I can say that it is my favorite part of the rear. Now, on to that eyesore that is the chrome "bubble" on the edge of the rear deck lid. I think that is such a bad call from the design department. Even on the sedan, that thing just looks out of place. When you order the sport package (on the sedan) the wing just sits on top of that 'goiter'. I assume the coupe will be the same. Oval exhaust looks nice, flows nicely with the rear valance.

The Interior
WOW! The interior looks GREAT! They managed to keep it looking like the concept's interior like 80%. Love the waterfall center console, and the more adjustable seats. I wish that they had mush this much attention to the exterior though.

Conclusion
Having gone to design school and earning a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design, a have a different perspective on most things. I have a pretty good sense of style, and can usually point out good design. All I can say is that I am glad I purchased the my G the year I did. I have a feeling that the mechanical side of things on the new G is where it shines. The growl of the new VQ must be amazing, with its dual intakes. The interior design is a work of art, but doesn't make up for the lack of exterior design. Unfortunately, on a scale from 1-10, I give the new G an 5.5, whereas the current G gets a 8.5. I know that there will be many people angry over this analysis, but hey, we all have opinions, and I will stick by mine. I can honestly say that the Gen 2 sedan looks much sexier that the gen 2 coupe. My hat goes off to you Gen 2 sedan owners, the G coupe > G sedan battle may soon see its tables turned.

Last edited by JDM_CPV35; 03-22-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 AM
madchef

Interesting read, sadly, I think I agree with most of your points.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 AM
ndlive

my thoughts exactly (most of it). very well put
Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
bygtimaish

nice analysis bro..i agree with mostly all of your comments. When the 1st gen G came out, it was love at first sight. With this G, i can't say the same...
Old 03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Ahujadaddy

The rear is def lacking! I said the same thing about that chrome "thing" on the rear. Just doesn't fit with the coupe. Let's see what aftermarket can fix.

The front bumper looks to be good for mounting a couple laser jammer heads
Old 03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
izmir41500

i agree too. all they needed to was keep it simple keep the current sedan's design for taillights and front fascia.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:06 AM
JDM_CPV35

Just added interior analysis as well!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
ndlive

just saw it. i might be the only one, but i like the current interior better. maybe i'm oldschool , but i don't really like these new "futuristic, spaceship-looking" interiors that the new cars are coming out with...
Old 03-22-2007, 11:13 AM
JReedG35C

The car is nice....The front end is rounded just like my M35 and I love my M35. To each its own....
Old 03-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Ahujadaddy

Last gen exterior was WOW, interior was eeehhh. Now it seems ppl are feelin the opposite. heh
If this exterior was used on last gen coupe, i bet ppl woulda been all over it cuz its somthing "new" but now we are used to how sexxy the G already looks so it's not like groundbreaking or anythin
Old 03-22-2007, 11:20 AM
JDM_CPV35

Originally Posted by JReedG35C
The car is nice....The front end is rounded just like my M35 and I love my M35. To each its own....
You my friend are doing your M no justice comparing it to the Gen 2 Coupe. Would you compare Carmen Electra to Barbara Walters?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:31 AM
gary c

Oh no...............

Originally Posted by ndlive
just saw it. i might be the only one, but i like the current interior better. maybe i'm oldschool , but i don't really like these new "futuristic, spaceship-looking" interiors that the new cars are coming out with...
Oh no, now you guys are putting down spaceships. That's my first choice
of transportation. This is a good posting, from all the feedback it's obvious
Nissan dropped the ball on this design (frontend) everything else is doable!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
blueSKYLINE

Very well said. You bring up good points, and I agree with you alsmot 100%, however, I do believe the new interior is not all that great. I know we cannot expect the concept's interior to entirely become reality but maybe some of us hoped that at least a tiny bit the new coupe's interior will be better than the sedan's. I got to drive a 2007 sedan for a bit this week, and yes the interior is better (than the 03-06 models) but still is pretty far from even being able to compare with some of the other luxury cars out there.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Gam3

i dont like how rounded the front is...from a side profile shot it looks a lot like an altima coupe..which i thought was hideous in pictures.....from a direct front profile shot it does look great...and that is the only area where it beats the coupe imo....everything else goes to the current G coupe...besides interior ofcourse. but the interior we have isnt too shabby...besides the cushion on our seats
Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I like you analysis, but I have to disagree. Picture the car with a nice drop and nice deep dish wheels. It is going to be sexy no matter what.

Quick Reply: My Gen 2 Coupe Analysis.