G37 Vert Hydraulic/Roof in Operation problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 01:32 PM
jgn01230
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G37 Vert Hydraulic/Roof in Operation problem

Hello,

I have a 2011 G37 convertible. The Roof in Operation error came on while opening and closing the trunk.
I researched this forum and found a post that said check your trunk latch.
I did and found it to be loose. I tightened the two bolts on either side and the warning went away.
After a few days the Roof in Operation error came back on again. I inspected the rear latch and it was tight.
I unhooked the battery. Then re-programmed the windows. and the error went away for another day then came back.

I brought the car to the local Infiniti dealer. I was told that I needed to replace the entire Hydraulic system due to error codes -
Hydraulic Pump Internal failure at State 6 and State 17.I was quoted $11k for the repair. Suppsedly the failure of the Hydraulic pump is common to 10 year old Infiniti G37 Verts. The Dealer cleared the error codes and reset the computer. I was careful not to open the trunk and was able drove the vehicle home without the Roof in Operation error.

I checked eBay for used Hydraulic pumps and decided on a rebuilt pump instead.
I went online and bought a re-built Hydraulic Pump from www.tophydraulics.com for $800 and would receive a $300 credit back when I returned my core after the swap out.

I had my mechanic install the the Hydraulic Pump with the help of tophydraulics helpful youtube video, we disconnected the battery and then re-programmed the windows. I didn't try the top as it was raining. I drove the car for about a week without any problems without trying to lower the top.

Today while driving the car the Roof in Operation error came back on again.

Could it be the the rear trunk latch is defective?

Does anyone out there have a clue how I should proceed.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jgn01230; 02-09-2021 at 02:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgn01230:
EMPIR37 (02-13-2021), teahead (03-24-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 12:06 PM
stugots81787
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jgn01230
Hello,

I have a 2011 G37 convertible. The Roof in Operation error came on while opening and closing the trunk.
I researched this forum and found a post that said check your trunk latch.
I did and found it to be loose. I tightened the two bolts on either side and the warning went away.
After a few days the Roof in Operation error came back on again. I inspected the rear latch and it was tight.
I unhooked the battery. Then re-programmed the windows. and the error went away for another day then came back.

I brought the car to the local Infiniti dealer. I was told that I needed to replace the entire Hydraulic system due to error codes -
Hydraulic Pump Internal failure at State 6 and State 17.I was quoted $11k for the repair. Suppsedly the failure of the Hydraulic pump is common to 10 year old Infiniti G37 Verts. The Dealer cleared the error codes and reset the computer. I was careful not to open the trunk and was able drove the vehicle home without the Roof in Operation error.

I checked eBay for used Hydraulic pumps and decided on a rebuilt pump instead.
I went online and bought a re-built Hydraulic Pump from www.tophydraulics.com for $800 and would receive a $300 credit back when I returned my core after the swap out.

I had my mechanic install the the Hydraulic Pump with the help of tophydraulics helpful youtube video, we disconnected the battery and then re-programmed the windows. I didn't try the top as it was raining. I drove the car for about a week without any problems without trying to lower the top.

Today while driving the car the Roof in Operation error came back on again.

Could it be the the rear trunk latch is defective?

Does anyone out there have a clue how I should proceed.

Thanks in advance

hate to say it but this may be one of those instances you have to take her to the dealer. May be something as simple as reprogramming. Trust me I avoid the dealer at all costs but sometimes you just have to go and see what they say.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:25 PM
n559br
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
ive been having similar issues. So, I bought a VI and hard drive with Consult on it. It was the best $500 i've spent on this car. For $2500 you can buy a rebuilt hydraulic pump and all cylinders from Top Hydraulics. so at $3K you can fully rebuild the hydraulics and perform the work the dealer would typically perform. I ended up only needing a new hydraulic pump and I've got a cylinder with an internal leak but I'm only in for about $1200 which is way better than the price you've been quoted. If you want more info on using the consult software send me a message,
The following 2 users liked this post by n559br:
kiseliok (02-21-2021), tnthudson (07-07-2023)
Old 03-24-2021, 03:32 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
you may just have a bad sensor.

Do you have that annoying beeping sound when the car is driving?

Is the car's roof stuck up position or down?
Old 05-03-2022, 05:19 PM
Sonzera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n559br
ive been having similar issues. So, I bought a VI and hard drive with Consult on it. It was the best $500 i've spent on this car. For $2500 you can buy a rebuilt hydraulic pump and all cylinders from Top Hydraulics. so at $3K you can fully rebuild the hydraulics and perform the work the dealer would typically perform. I ended up only needing a new hydraulic pump and I've got a cylinder with an internal leak but I'm only in for about $1200 which is way better than the price you've been quoted. If you want more info on using the consult software send me a message,
Where did you buy your vi and consult 3 plus?
Old 05-03-2022, 05:35 PM
n559br
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
cNauto. There's another thread on here with the link.