open the roof to the limit and trunk opens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM
pwlorraine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
open the roof to the limit and trunk opens?

When I hold down the roof open button the trunk will open if I don't release the open button at the end of travel. If I hold it a second or two too long, the trunk will open and I need to get out to close it. The situation seems to be aggravated if I open the roof from outside the car using the door handle button. Yesterday closing the trunk produced a "roof in motion" on the DIS, pressing the roof open button eliminated this and gave me a "trunk open" message. I went back and forth between the two until I closed the roof and turned off the car.

Anyone else seeing this?

Peter
Old 07-30-2010, 03:37 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pwlorraine
When I hold down the roof open button the trunk will open if I don't release the open button at the end of travel. If I hold it a second or two too long, the trunk will open and I need to get out to close it. The situation seems to be aggravated if I open the roof from outside the car using the door handle button. Yesterday closing the trunk produced a "roof in motion" on the DIS, pressing the roof open button eliminated this and gave me a "trunk open" message. I went back and forth between the two until I closed the roof and turned off the car.

Anyone else seeing this?

Peter
Never experienced that one Peter.

I have on 2 separate occasions in the last year started my car in the morning (in the garage) and saw trunk open message - but, I chalked it up to putting the fob in my pocket or maybe the kids playing with it or something. No relationship with roof activation.

Having the trunk open via the roof activation is quite odd!
Good luck
Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Foxwiz

Originally Posted by pwlorraine

Anyone else seeing this?

Peter
Time to take it to the dealer. It shouldn't be doing that. It's under warranty.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:03 PM
NewGMan

Yup, take it in, mine does not do that.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Calgarywinger

That's very odd in view of the fact that the G37 trunk closes itself automatically. On mine I only need to lower the trunk to within a few inches of closed, let it go and it closes by itself all the way.
When the roof retracts all the way, the last operation performed is the trunk closing itself.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Foxwiz

You should hold the close button until the display says roof closed.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
pwlorraine

Originally Posted by Foxwiz
You should hold the close button until the display says roof closed.
The issue is the trunk opening at the end of the roof open cycle - not the roof closing cycle. Holding the roof open button stows the roof in the trunk and occasionally ends with the a "trunk open" message. This fault does not occur when closing the roof (putting it up).

The trunk is unlocked and opened during both the roof open and roof close cycles - my thoughts currently are that this is a matter of limits not set correctly and that the system is recognizing the trunk open interlock before the "roof open" cycle completes the lock. On a BMW vert this would be a sticking microswitch. Not sure if this is software or mechanical.

Regarding taking it to the dealer, this actually materialized on my trip back from the dealer for a scheduled oil change. Its happened a half dozen times but is still only an occasional fault. I'll take it in when it becomes more common. Coincidentally, the passenger side window stopped its little jog down/up when opening the door - only doing a jog down without the return up. Cycling the roof actually restored the passenger window jog.

Peter
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
BuckarooVT90

did you by chance disconnect the battery? Maybe you need to go through the window/roof relearn procedure?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
pwlorraine

I'm not sure if the dealer might have disconnected the battery - and your thinking is along the lines I was going.

I also encountered the problem the first time while opening the roof from outside the car with the door button and it is *conceivable* to me that the voltage drop might have been sufficient momentarily to be interpreted as a battery disconnect by one of the electrical systems.

The window problem was clearly a "re-learn" issue. The trunk issue has not appeared for the last few days so it had a total duration of about 3 weeks if it in fact resolved. The roof "re-learn" procedure appears to just be open the roof to limit and close all the way - I did that almost immediately on discovering this problem the first time. I'm not sure if the procedure is more involved than this - or what the symptoms are of needing a roof "re-learn".