SmartTop module for verts

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:24 AM
CasaDelGatos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SmartTop module for verts

Anyone have a SmartTop installed? I already searched and the last relevant post was 5 years ago.
I would expect that any issues they had were addressed or they wouldn't still be selling them.
But I am not seeing anything recent.
SmartTop Control Module

I sure would like the functionality it offers, but obviously, I don't want to ADD problems to a pretty damn great car.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Will Stepter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart top

Yeah I have one and it works freat super easy to install I've had it installed in my 09 g37s for approx 2 years now no issue
Old 04-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm trying to get it installed, too!
Old 04-16-2020, 01:49 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CasaDelGatos
Anyone have a SmartTop installed? I already searched and the last relevant post was 5 years ago.
I would expect that any issues they had were addressed or they wouldn't still be selling them.
But I am not seeing anything recent.
SmartTop Control Module

I sure would like the functionality it offers, but obviously, I don't want to ADD problems to a pretty damn great car.
I just got mine in, planning to install it soon... . .will show pics and videos!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:51 AM
DrCooke
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just ordered mine as well. Will report on installation and results
Old 05-16-2020, 02:07 PM
DrCooke
Registered Member

Received and installed. Only thing that took me longer than expected was detaching the two main connectors from the original control unit. I did not want to damage the side panel and it is quite tight. There is a samall connector you need to unplug just to gain room and, of course, I forgot to plug it back, so I needed to repeat part of the process. Unluckily I cannot move the car from my garage right now and my battery is nearly dead, so I have not fully tested the gadget. I noticed some strange behavior (would not open or close with engine off, windows dont go completely up, but that might be down to nearly dead battery)

Original control units and connectors

Was not that sure this would come back to being how it was

New harness attached

Last edited by DrCooke; 05-16-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:37 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Those two connectors were the BIGGEST time consuming F*** bomb throwing & cussing EVER. Eventually they came off... ... lol

You have to make sure the car is in UNLOCKED position before you give it a top close / top open command. I had the same issue, I felt it was iffy or kinda defective. In the end, you just have to make sure it is in UNLOCK position before you give it a command.

Also, about the windows NOT going up, Infiniti in the US has deactivated the front windows roll-up. Anywhere else in the world works just fine. It's just here in the US, so it's normal that the windows don't roll-up.

Here's my video:
The following users liked this post:
DrCooke (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 02:02 PM
DrCooke
Registered Member

Hi again, I seem to have an issue with my module. Top does never close from remote and windows up require three presses instead of 2. I already opened a ticket with mods4cars. Let's see if it is only SW (or misuse) and I do not need to remove everything again!

Last edited by DrCooke; 05-21-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:44 AM
DrCooke
Registered Member

OK now. First of all, mods4cars seem to have a helluva customer support. I received answer to my ticket on the same day with some suggestions. I tried them and sent a video back and again they answered immediately asking for a remote session. Funny enough, the guy who reached seemed German, but he was in the US (past midnight for him). We arranged a whatsapp call while I connected my laptop to the module so he could see its guts. He was giving me instructions and checking what was happening. To cut a long story short, everything seemed to be OK, but he told me that for some reason, the "lock" button on our remotes has a high lag compared to the "unlock" button so actually you need a much slower pressing of the button when closing the top (nearly two seconds between clicks). For that reason, even though the car was receiving three signals and actually there were audible clicks in the system, only two were counted. And that only happens with the "lock" button "unlock" has a faster response. He also recommended what Skitzo said. Always start from unlocked. Else, the system might have gone to sleep mode and lock button won't wake it up.
Skitzo (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:47 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DrCooke
OK now. First of all, mods4cars seem to have a helluva customer support. I received answer to my ticket on the same day with some suggestions. I tried them and sent a video back and again they answered immediately asking for a remote session. Funny enough, the guy who reached seemed German, but he was in the US (past midnight for him). We arranged a whatsapp call while I connected my laptop to the module so he could see its guts. He was giving me instructions and checking what was happening. To cut a long story short, everything seemed to be OK, but he told me that for some reason, the "lock" button on our remotes has a high lag compared to the "unlock" button so actually you need a much slower pressing of the button when closing the top (nearly two seconds between clicks). For that reason, even though the car was receiving three signals and actually there were audible clicks in the system, only two were counted. And that only happens with the "lock" button "unlock" has a faster response. He also recommended what Skitzo said. Always start from unlocked. Else, the system might have gone to sleep mode and lock button won't wake it up.
So, in the end, did you get it work, bud?
Old 05-21-2020, 09:52 AM
DrCooke
Registered Member

Yea, it seems so. I only need to a.- have it always in unlocked before starting, like u said and b.- have more time between clicks when closing compared to opening. It seems to work so far, though I have not tested much as I do not want to kill the battery and I cannot move the car in these days

Thanks!
Skitzo (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 10:07 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DrCooke
Yea, it seems so. I only need to a.- have it always in unlocked before starting, like u said and b.- have more time between clicks when closing compared to opening. It seems to work so far, though I have not tested much as I do not want to kill the battery and I cannot move the car in these days

Thanks!
Good to know. Better days are coming for you... ... I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I love that with a simple push of a button, the roof goes off or on, and you can keep driving without having to WAIT those long 30 seconds for the roof to open/close, or having to have the button pressed down. That was SO annoying.

Now at traffic lights, if I want to show off (ehehehe), I press the open roof button once and forget about it, as the roof opens up and I can simply keep driving.

Although, if I drive past 10mph, the hazard beeping gets going (kinda annoying), but it doesn't stop the roof from opening/closing, even if you're going 20-30-40mph. That's super cool. You do have to make sure you're going at 10mph per hour or less for the command to be executed, meaning when you push the button, or you'll just hear a long beep and the roof stays put, open or close, whatever position you have it on. So, go really slow when you give it a command on the button, or it won't do nothing.

Another thing, if you ever install a remote start (don't know if you have one installed or not), I do on mine. To start the G remotely, I have to press the lock button three times... ... well... ... that same sequence also triggers the roof to close. So what happens is the roof starts closing, then pauses for 3-5 seconds, time it takes for the car to remote start, and then when the car engine is on, the roof keeps closing, without giving it another command. Kinda cool, but also kinda tricky.

If I want to walk away from the car and give a close command, I'll turn on the car, too! but I like it anyways, overall. Well worth the $300!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:01 PM
JerTallJer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone considered buying a non-US vert control module to see if it would correct the window-not-going-up issue?

Jer