Top stops mid cycle

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM
rdog
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Top stops mid cycle

Going to contact the dealer today but wanted to ask if anyone else has seen this issue. I did see the thread where a user had his top stuck open but this is a little different.

2011 G37 Vert

This started a couple of days ago and does not happen every time I open or close the top but it is becoming more frequent.

When the top is being opened or closed, it will stop mid cycle and the "Trunk Open" warning light comes on in the LCD display. I have 2 ways of clearing this and finishing the open or close cycle.

1.) Press the roof open/close button a couple of time until the error clears, I hear a click and the cycle completes.

2.) Press the "Exit" button to the right of the LCD display to clear the error then press the open/close button once to hear a click then again to complete the cycle.

Any past experience would be helpful.

I'll post updates after I've talked with the dealer

5-28-14: Update, bringing car into dealer today. Will update with findings

Last edited by rdog; 05-28-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 PM
lier200a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I had the same issue but not sure if it's the same cause.

I got it checked at the dealership before and they told me the trunk latch was loose so they tightened it and it did solve the issue. I'll be waiting for an update! I got the same issue again and the latch does wiggle with some force.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 AM
rdog
Registered Member

Dealer couldn't get the top to stop mid cycle. I did have the trunk latch come loose a few month ago and I tightened it up. I'll check that again. I ran into the problem where is stops again yesterday and saw that there is a bundle of wires on the drivers side in the roof assembly that is worn and a couple of the wires are actually frayed down to the wire. I'm thinking that I'm getting a short when the exposed wire rubs up against the metal roof frame while opening and closing. Pictures attached. Will be bringing it back to the dealer and will let u know what I find out.
Attached Thumbnails Top stops mid cycle-img_1257.jpg   Top stops mid cycle-img_1258.jpg   Top stops mid cycle-img_1259.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:02 PM
lier200a

Got the car back. The dealership was unable to fix the problem. They got in contact with Inifiniti Canada support and figured the problem is coming from the computer controlling the top. I guess the top comes down to a certain point and the current becomes weak or something like that causing the top to stop halfway. The part is on order so I'll see what happens then.

I'm gonna remove my Smart top module as well (instead of just disabling it) and I'll see what happens.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:04 PM
rdog
Registered Member

lier200a,

Were u able to locate the cable bundle on the drivers side and did it show any wear?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by lier200a
Got the car back. The dealership was unable to fix the problem. They got in contact with Inifiniti Canada support and figured the problem is coming from the computer controlling the top. I guess the top comes down to a certain point and the current becomes weak or something like that causing the top to stop halfway. The part is on order so I'll see what happens then.

I'm gonna remove my Smart top module as well (instead of just disabling it) and I'll see what happens.
The top may stop and not complete when using the smart. I note you indicate you have it disabled, so is that the case when you are seeing the problem? Using the smart top if the battery is not at a specific charge level it seems it stops half way. I've upgraded my battery to the M battery. On rare occasions it stops half way and I notice a somewhat direct result of how long the car has been off.

Last edited by cereal2k; 08-21-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typo, M battery
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lier200a

Good move removing the module - I could certainly see the potential of. Dealership initiated warranty denial based on this aftermarket part...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:24 PM
rdog
Registered Member

Got the car back yesterday and the dealer taped up the frayed harness. Will keep an eye on it to see if additional wear starts in the same area and hope that the top doesn't stop mid cycle again.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:14 PM
lier200a

Just an update!

So I removed the Smart top module and brought in the car to the dealership once the part finally arrived from Japan. They replaced the sensor box which was attached to the control top unit (which was causing the weak current). Had a few cycles and drives for the last couple weeks and it seems to be running smooth. No issues (yet... *knock on wood*) but I just have to hold on to the open/close button for the 30 secs. Which I'll gladly take as long as the convertible top works.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Just curious but is the up/down switch different on the model years? I have always had to hold my button down till the top is up or down. If I take my finger off it stops where it is. my vert is a 2013.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:36 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pnrymmf
Just curious but is the up/down switch different on the model years? I have always had to hold my button down till the top is up or down. If I take my finger off it stops where it is. my vert is a 2013.
All Verts require you to press and hold the button for approx 30 seconds for up or down - The OP had a "special" one touch module installed that bypassed this requirement but he smartly removed it before taking in his car for this service - ergo he is back to holding the button for 30 seconds #VertProbs
Old 08-21-2014, 07:37 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bschurr
All Verts require you to press and hold the button for approx 30 seconds for up or down - The OP had a "special" one touch module installed that bypassed this requirement but he smartly removed it before taking in his car for this service - ergo he is back to holding the button for 30 seconds #VertProbs
LOL, #vertprobs.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:11 PM
blackandwhite
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone have more details on this Smart Top Module?
Old 11-03-2022, 08:57 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Did you search the forum? There are a few threads about the module including a DIY Install thread. Just enter "smarttop site:myg37.com" in google and the threads will pop up.

Here is a link to the module itself.

While I can potentially see some of the benefits, I do not think it is worth $200. And, given how "finicky/cranky" the roof can be, the reward may not be worth the risk.

Just my 10¢...