Remote Start: Do you have it on your convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Start: Do you have it on your convertible?

Do any of the vert owners have remote start installed on your car?

I have been toying with the idea of getting/installing a remote start & top control system on the convertible- any suggestions/recommendations?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cvipgo

I have been toying with the idea of getting/installing a remote start & top control system on the convertible- any suggestions/recommendations?
Don't have it, or plan to get it. but auto top up and down sounds interesting.
There is a thread on it by some company coming out with one.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by cereal2k
Don't have it, or plan to get it. but auto top up and down sounds interesting.
There is a thread on it by some company coming out with one.
yes, I remember reading about it too and it won't be out till Jun 2011.

I can install remote start and the aux button from remote start can control the roof up or down. I am working on it... will let you know.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Calgarywinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked the dealer about it when I first bought the vert in '09. At that time they didn't offer that feature as the car was still too new and they couldn't use the coupe's remote start (something about he retractable roof?).
Anyway, I asked again last Fall and Hyatt Infiniti quoted me CA$900 for the remote start feature (which is the only way they would honor any warranty issues arising from McGivering with the security system). Expensive, but the kicker was that they couldn't integrate the feature in the OEM fob (not enough room for another button?) and so I would have to carry 2 fobs.
cvipgo, I would definitely be interested if you come up with a cheaper alternative.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Calgarywinger
I asked the dealer about it when I first bought the vert in '09. At that time they didn't offer that feature as the car was still too new and they couldn't use the coupe's remote start (something about he retractable roof?).
Anyway, I asked again last Fall and Hyatt Infiniti quoted me CA$900 for the remote start feature (which is the only way they would honor any warranty issues arising from McGivering with the security system). Expensive, but the kicker was that they couldn't integrate the feature in the OEM fob (not enough room for another button?) and so I would have to carry 2 fobs.
cvipgo, I would definitely be interested if you come up with a cheaper alternative.
$900 is a rip off doesn't matter US $$$ or CAN $$$.

Here's the deal- I installed a remote start on my Infiniti G35 coupe (as a fun/chellenge project) and I also programed the OEM FOB (total cost $150 plus my time) to remote star the car. Total of 15 connections.

The problem with OEM FOB is the distance limitation (15-30ft).

The Remote Start Fob can start the car from 3000ft. It works awesome. Now I can use both FOBs and don't need to carry both FOBs.

I got similar 2010/11 version remote start system for the convertible but I have to do my homework (working with Remote Start manufacturer's tech & Vert's ESM to get correct wiring before I start the install process). Should not cost more $200-300. I understand the Infiniti's and RS wiring communications/wiring (learnt from my G35 coupe install) - so far it looks good. I am documenting all the connections and verifying against the actual car's wiring. Warranty issues is BS, if you have correct wiring connections and right connections which do not interfere with OEM setup, Infiniti can not refuse warranty repairs.

Will let you know....once I am done.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Calgarywinger

You know what I'd really like is what the new Buick has: Remote start from cell phone.
I saw a commercial for the new Buick and the owner dials the car, checks a number of things like tire pressure, temp, etc and then hits the start button.
That's the coolest thing I've seen and would really be useful as I could remote start the car from the office and have it nice and warm by the time I got to the parkade (or nice and cool in the summer).
Sentinel and Viper make cell phone starters but they're not brand-specific and I wonder how that would integrate with our security systems.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 PM
cvipgo
Banned

You know what I'd really like is what the new Buick has: Remote start from cell phone.
I saw a commercial for the new Buick and the owner dials the car, checks a number of things like tire pressure, temp, etc and then hits the start button.
That's the coolest thing I've seen and would really be useful as I could remote start the car from the office and have it nice and warm by the time I got to the parkade (or nice and cool in the summer).
Sentinel and Viper make cell phone starters but they're not brand-specific and I wonder how that would integrate with our security systems.
yes, all new remote starts. are making these... it;s an app on the cell phones and the receiver on the remote start unit, yes it's cool then you don't care how far you are... Viper does n't support DYI s...
The one I am installing actually integrates with Infiniti OEM security system,,,
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i'd definitely be interested... but will having a manual car make things more complicated?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...g37-video.html

this guy installed a VIPER system that's integrated into his phone.. pretty awesome if you ask me..
Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Jubbliepuff
i'd definitely be interested... but will having a manual car make things more complicated?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...g37-video.html

this guy installed a VIPER system that's integrated into his phone.. pretty awesome if you ask me..
Yes, this is great, the problem with VIPER (DEI) is they don't support DYIers, but once the wiring is identified you can installed any system. Coupe is different from convertible as I am finding out while going thru wiring schematics. The key is getting correct wiring (I am using ESM and info from wirecolor.com and bypass module) and then I am going to verify each wire that needs to be connected before I install the Remote Start/integrate with OEM alarm. The nice thing about the system I have selected that once remote started you just have to open the car with OEM or RS fob or in the car vicinity to used door's button and get in and drive off. No pressing of start button. I am sure once all the wires are identified /verified - any system can be installed. I'll certainly share the info once I am done.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Calgarywinger

Originally Posted by Jubbliepuff
Very good question!
Cvipgo, what about the 6MT? We have to depress the clutch to start, I can see bypassing that (would be the same as bypassing the brake pedal in the 7AT) but then you can't have the car start in gear so there would need to be some kind of override if the car is in gear?
It never occured to me to ask the dealer when we were discussing remote starters
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Very good question!
Cvipgo, what about the 6MT? We have to depress the clutch to start, I can see bypassing that (would be the same as bypassing the brake pedal in the 7AT) but then you can't have the car start in gear so there would need to be some kind of override if the car is in gear?
It never occured to me to ask the dealer when we were discussing remote starters
Yes, good question but There's only one connection difference from AT to MT- called neutral bypass rest are same...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Ok guys, I got all the wiring info the BCM, IPDR and OEM alarm/security- I have to verify it against the car wirings (some times paper info does not match actual hardware) before the install for remote start.
I am going to use Posi-connectors which should make installation easier.

Any suggestions recommendations!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
bob61

Hard to believe that Inifinti doesn't include a remote start considering the price point. Good luck on your install CVIPGO.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok guys, I got all the wiring info the BCM, IPDR and OEM alarm/security- I have to verify it against the car wirings (some times paper info does not match actual hardware) before the install for remote start.
I am going to use Posi-connectors which should make installation easier.

Any suggestions recommendations!
Please do a DIY on this when you get everything you need. Also please be 6MT friendly!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by breftayka
Please do a DIY on this when you get everything you need. Also please be 6MT friendly!
Thats the plan

Quick Reply: Remote Start: Do you have it on your convertible?