2010 Convertible AT Single Push Installation Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:06 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the single touch (double click) roof module and the instructions by NEWGMan are good and applicable to 6MT Vert. (by the way there were no ties shipped with the Module as KPT instructions state)
For 7AT vert Instructions Get some plastic panel tools which will make life easy and fast:
1. To begin remove shift ****
a) Pull down shift boot to expose clip on shifter
b) Remove clip on shift ****
c) Pull off shift ****

2. Remove center console by putting car in Drive and pulling up on rear of center console use plastic panel tool. Once rear is up pull back and up to remove.

3. Remove the panel that has the convertible top switch & drink cup holders using the plastic too, - Up and slide forward and can turn it over to right remove the roof switch connector.

4. Remove plug connector from convertible roof/top switch. To do this there is a little tab that you push in as you pull connector out. In my case I used small plastic screw driver and it came out easy.

5. In the center under the removed panels, there's a YAW sensor (made by Bosch) which has wires that KPT instructions direct you to use for power & ground. I removed the YAW sensor (2 bolts 10mm) and disconnected the connector to make stripping of grey and green wire easy) - strip and terminate black and yellow wires per KPT instructions.

6. Follow wiring directions for other two wires (green & Blue) for connections. You will need to strip back the wire covering/padding to get access to the wires, strip and terminate per KPT instructions.

7. I used 3M double sided tape to adhere the module on inside below the arm rest space and tied & taped wires.

8. I cycled the roof twice (with engine running) as you would by holding the roof switch and then tested the single(double click) touch twice and it worked great.
9) Installed the 2 panels back and that's it.
10) It took me about one hour and half.
If the module ever goes bad - you will still have old fashion way by holding the roof switch for opening and closing the roof.
Good Luck if any one of you want to install one touch module.

Next will be NAV BY PASS MODULE - for another day.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 PM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw this post tonight -

First things first, if our module fails the top will still function as our module does not interrupt any signals. In a worst case situation the module may have to be unplugged to return the top to normal operation.

The module is not a simple latching relay, in fact there are no mechanical parts in the module at all - it is all solid state. The module is based around a 1.2mhz microcontroller that drives transistorized outputs and reads transistorized inputs. Although this module is still fairly new it uses the same circuit board and components as most of our other modules that have been around for over 5 years now. Based on the reputation of our original products I have absolutely no concerns about these modules electronically failing.

Lastly, due to the low demand for this module we only tested the CT20 on two vehicles and both of the tests went very well. Due to variances in convertible top speeds and individual processor speeds it is possible that our output simply does not stay on long enough for all vehicles. We have already extended this time by 2 seconds for all future modules and if anyone has any issues with the top not fulling opening or closing we can either send out an updated microcontroller that can be field swapped with minimal inconvenience or we can perform the update ourselves if the module is mailed back to us.

We publish a 1 year no questions asked warranty but to date have never charged a customer to fix any module that has our name on it (even if they were not the original purchaser). The ONLY thing we will turn away is a module that has obvious water damage (ie visual corrosion / rust on the actual circuit board). My personal policy has always been that if it has my name on it, it WILL work!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by KPierson
Just saw this post tonight -

First things first, if our module fails the top will still function as our module does not interrupt any signals. In a worst case situation the module may have to be unplugged to return the top to normal operation.

The module is not a simple latching relay, in fact there are no mechanical parts in the module at all - it is all solid state. The module is based around a 1.2mhz microcontroller that drives transistorized outputs and reads transistorized inputs. Although this module is still fairly new it uses the same circuit board and components as most of our other modules that have been around for over 5 years now. Based on the reputation of our original products I have absolutely no concerns about these modules electronically failing.

Lastly, due to the low demand for this module we only tested the CT20 on two vehicles and both of the tests went very well. Due to variances in convertible top speeds and individual processor speeds it is possible that our output simply does not stay on long enough for all vehicles. We have already extended this time by 2 seconds for all future modules and if anyone has any issues with the top not fulling opening or closing we can either send out an updated microcontroller that can be field swapped with minimal inconvenience or we can perform the update ourselves if the module is mailed back to us.

We publish a 1 year no questions asked warranty but to date have never charged a customer to fix any module that has our name on it (even if they were not the original purchaser). The ONLY thing we will turn away is a module that has obvious water damage (ie visual corrosion / rust on the actual circuit board). My personal policy has always been that if it has my name on it, it WILL work!
Kevin

I received CT20 and NB-20 last week...

I don't know what version of CT20 I got, I may have to double check now.
I just checked, It seems that top is not closing properly with the unit I received,
The other issue I was notified that I got the incorrect Nav Bypass module- It should be NI35 for NB-20. I am surprised KPT shipped the incorrect module but luckily I have not installed the NB-20.... still in original package.

Thanks for the update. I have sent you email with my PO #. Thanks - please help resolve both the module issue.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:29 AM
KPierson
Banned

I try to check all orders for compatibility but if we have all items in stock sometimes orders ship before I can review them.

Can you elaborate on the exact issue you are having with it closing?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:57 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by KPierson
I try to check all orders for compatibility but if we have all items in stock sometimes orders ship before I can review them.

Can you elaborate on the exact issue you are having with it closing?
it's opening & closing too fast then it would if I hold the switch and not use the double click.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 AM
KPierson
Banned

The updated firmware will not affect the speed at which the top moves. The module is outputting the exact same signal as the switch so I am not sure why your top would be moving faster. How long does it take to open when you hold the button? How long when you use the module?
Old 11-07-2015, 02:26 AM
bigc

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Just installed this today. I doubt the OP is still around here, but thanks for the write-up!