2010 Convertible AT Single Push Installation Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM
NewGMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Convertible AT Single Push Installation Tips

Just installed my single touch module from KP Technologies today. I do not have much experience working on newer cars and very little working with the electrical systems, so it took me 3 hours including figuring out some of the following:

1. To begin remove shift ****
a) Pull down shift boot to expose clip on shifter
b) Remove clip on shift ****
c) Pull off shift ****

2. Remove front trim panel above console panel (This is small panel below the clock area)
a) To remove use a stiff credit card in gap and wedge it it to move panel out. My panel was a little difficult to remove, but just work slowly and don't pull too hard, but it will come free and is only held in place with clips.

3. Remove center console by putting car in Drive and pulling up on rear of center console. Once rear is up pull back and up to remove.

4. Remove plug from convertible top switch. To do this there is a little tab that you push in as you pull down. In my case I could not get it to go so I used a screwdriver in the slot on the side to push in the hold back tab and pull the plug free. You don't need to do this, but it will make working easier.

5. remove plug from back of lighter/outlet in from of center console (this is where you will tap in for switched power and ground. To remove just pull down there are no clips holding this plug in place.

6. Follow wiring directions for connections at the plug. You will need to strip back the wire covering/padding to get access to the wires, and later replace this.

7. For switched power use the purple wire on the plug from the power outlet and black for ground and make connections in front. Make sure to route wires below trim in center console.

8. Tape everything back up and secure the module.

9. Reverse directions above to replace trim.

The above tips for trim removal and wiring would have saved me over an hour as I did not have confidence in removing the panels or in the wiring, but everything works for me.

If anyone has questions I will try to answer them, but as I mentioned I am no expert, just had some tips specific to the 2010 Vert, that were not covered in materials and answers I got from BSchurr (BTW thanks for all the help on this Barry).
Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was it worth it to spend 3x60x60 seconds to save 30 seconds of holding roof switch?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
NewGMan

30s x 6 times a day x 7 months a year x 30 days a month x 3 years lease = HELL YEAH!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Congratulations on a DYI task completed successfully and supported by the best positive answer:>!
PS: I am going to install this module (on order) too... but the question remains, what happens if the module goes bad, has KP Tech has answered that question, yet.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NewGMan

If anyone has questions I will try to answer them, but as I mentioned I am no expert, just had some tips specific to the 2010 Vert, that were not covered in materials and answers I got from BSchurr (BTW thanks for all the help on this Barry).
Glad I could help!

Originally Posted by cvipgo
Congratulations on a DYI task completed successfully and supported by the best positive answer:>!
PS: I am going to install this module (on order) too... but the question remains, what happens if the module goes bad, has KP Tech has answered that question, yet.
I am not an electrical engineer (but I employ a few) but i believe that the module is basically a relay that holds the circuit for the duration of the open/close cycle so there really isn't much to go wrong.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by bschurr
Glad I could help!

I am not an electrical engineer (but I employ a few) but i believe that the module is basically a relay that holds the circuit for the duration of the open/close cycle so there really isn't much to go wrong.
B, The relays do go bad but the question is really for KP Tech. "What happens to the roof functionality/operations if the module goes bad (in case)? Does the bad module allows the car original functions in case it ever goes bad or do we need to remove it?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
NewGMan

I would be interested in KP Techs answer as well on this, but based on the installation I would say the top would operate as normal. The module is installed in parallel to the switch, not in line, so if the module fails the switch connections are the same as the stock connections and will operate as normal. This is assuming a fail open scenario, which is my assumption of the failsafe in this design. If the design circuit fails closed I could imagine the top moving without being engaged by the button, but I can't imagine the circuit would be designed this way.

ONce installed the top works as it normally would when you hold the switch, or you can press twice to activate the module and release the switch.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:29 PM
scallawag

This mod is worth installing! I use it all the time and mine was the first installed on a 09 G37 vert. If something should go wrong i'm sure KP tech would replace the relay.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:25 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Let's ask KP Tech to respond... have not seen a response since the question was asked?
What happens to roof operation if the module goes back and will KP T replace it free ( how long is the warranty?)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
cvipgo
Banned

KP Technologies offers a one year limited warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee with all of their products.

Which still leaves me with the question: What happens to roof functionality if the KPT single touch module goes bad ?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
NewGMan

Been having minor issues with the module. Twice now it does not complete closing the roof and I have to hold the button for a couple of seconds to complete the cycle. I will send a note to KP Tech. and see what they say.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cvipgo
KP Technologies offers a one year limited warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee with all of their products.

Which still leaves me with the question: What happens to roof functionality if the KPT single touch module goes bad ?
Valid - I suggest that you email KPTech directly at info@kptechnologies.com directly.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NewGMan
Been having minor issues with the module. Twice now it does not complete closing the roof and I have to hold the button for a couple of seconds to complete the cycle. I will send a note to KP Tech. and see what they say.
No issues here. Did you calibrate post install by performing a couple of complete cycles manually (by holding down the button - old school) without the double push?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by bschurr
No issues here. Did you calibrate post install by performing a couple of complete cycles manually (by holding down the button - old school) without the double push?
Barry, I did, but after your post I did it again to make sure and it seems to have remedied the situation, thanks.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Ok I got the modules (roof single touch and Nav) from KP T and I am going to Install them over the week end and will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the tips by Bschurr and instructions by NewGMan.

Quick Reply: 2010 Convertible AT Single Push Installation Tips