Intermittent loss of power on the vert

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:28 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Intermittent loss of power on the vert

So, driving home tonight I experienced some power loss getting after driving out of my job. About a 30-35 second warm up was done and at maybe the 2nd stop at a light, the care felt like it was losing power on the braking. Strange. There was a sound as if the engine was not reving properly. I then got on the off ramp and this is all with easy driving on take off, and as I'm getting off the exit I'm speeding up a bit and I lose some power, I'm at 40-45mph and revs are at 3000 or so. So going from around 60 to 40 is definitely a problem. Has anyone had a similar issue? I've read about some transmisson TSB and I'm wondering if this is symptom. It's about 2100 miles so it's not fully broken in yet and in any spirited acceleration from the stop before this I've never had this occur. I was in D also. I will be taking it to the dealer by the weekend to have them take a look.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:02 AM
shabbo
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you mean by "losing power on braking" ?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:16 AM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by shabbo
what do you mean by "losing power on braking" ?
I mean it was not the normal engine breaking on slowing down to approach the light. It felt as if the car was sputtering as I slowed down and while stopped.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry man - I never experienced anything like what you describe. I have over 4,000 miles now and just about 7 months of ownership but I have a manual trans.

Get your car to the dealer & have it checked out.
Good luick!
-B
Old 02-05-2010, 09:23 AM
cereal2k

Wink

Adding more info. This was with the front window defogger on (it was a light rain outside) and the climate control around 79 degrees. And I could repro this morning on the way to the dealer so I'll await their diagnosis if any.

Last edited by cereal2k; 02-05-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by cereal2k
Adding more info. This was with the front window defogger on (it was a light rain outside) and the climate control around 79 degrees. And I could repro this morning on the way to the dealer so I'll await their diagnosis if any.

This was a common thing on 350Z with an intake change...but I've never seen it since. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

If you can get it to reproduce...take a video.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:35 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
This was a common thing on 350Z with an intake change...but I've never seen it since. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

If you can get it to reproduce...take a video.
Thanks Beer Magazine. I just got a call from the dealer a few minutes ago. The Intake Timing Valve Control solenoid came up on the diagnostic with code P0011.

The kicker is they can't repro and can't do a wrranty replacment until they repro. They have cleared the code and with my permission they are going to put some miles on it to try and repro.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:32 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

what type of oil are you using maybe the VVEL is getting stuck or something and needs to break-in a little

What I don't understand is that if we have a trouble code already, why does the dealership need to reproduce this when they can just take a description from you and work with that?

If the light turns on again then that's their second chance to fix it whether or not they can reproduce it or not.

after about 3-4 attempts, you can invoke the Lemon Law silently because this is considered dangerous for you and surrounding motorists.

Thanks Beer Magazine. I just got a call from the dealer a few minutes ago. The Intake Timing Valve Control solenoid came up on the diagnostic with code P0011.

The kicker is they can't repro and can't do a wrranty replacment until they repro. They have cleared the code and with my permission they are going to put some miles on it to try and repro.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:21 AM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by shabbo
what type of oil are you using maybe the VVEL is getting stuck or something and needs to break-in a little

What I don't understand is that if we have a trouble code already, why does the dealership need to reproduce this when they can just take a description from you and work with that?

If the light turns on again then that's their second chance to fix it whether or not they can reproduce it or not.

after about 3-4 attempts, you can invoke the Lemon Law silently because this is considered dangerous for you and surrounding motorists.
I've not had the first oil change yet. I'll see what they are talking about tomorrow if they can repro. No lights came up on the dash when it occurred.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:18 PM
cereal2k

So I've got my car back with no repro. I'll be on the look out to see if it happens again. If it does it's at that point they can call the tech office and see about any other suggestions from them and if it has occurred prior with any other solution.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 AM
shabbo
Registered Member

So I've got my car back with no repro. I'll be on the look out to see if it happens again. If it does it's at that point they can call the tech office and see about any other suggestions from them and if it has occurred prior with any other solution.
See if you can hook up an OBD into the port and find out trouble code on your own...it's good to keep one handy that plugs into your Laptop USB.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 AM
JohnnyCham
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i noticed on my 6MT, that in 1st gear, feels like some dead spots at 1K-3k RPM, i figured it needs to be driven more, but who knows. i only logged 260 mies, (yes only 260) miles on my car for the 2.5 months i had it.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
bookgal2

Hi
Good luck!! G37's experience sudden power loss--not a surprise to Infinity and they have some"codes" they can fix and some they can't. Service departments are aware of the problem and some of the blog sites but officially Infiniti doesn't have a problem. My G37 dropped from 40+ mph to 20 suddenly with no warning and would not then go above 20 while lurching along the road. It has done it twice now and while the service departments turn out to be aware of the problem the official word from Infinity is that no notifications of the potential problem are necessary because it is only "some" of the vehicles.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Beer Magazine

The only thing I noticed is that at low speeds it seems the tranny wants to go into 7th and that's too slow for that gear and the RPM drops lower than it should.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by bookgal2
Hi
Good luck!! G37's experience sudden power loss--not a surprise to Infinity and they have some"codes" they can fix and some they can't. Service departments are aware of the problem and some of the blog sites but officially Infiniti doesn't have a problem. My G37 dropped from 40+ mph to 20 suddenly with no warning and would not then go above 20 while lurching along the road. It has done it twice now and while the service departments turn out to be aware of the problem the official word from Infinity is that no notifications of the potential problem are necessary because it is only "some" of the vehicles.

Thanks. I've got the video cam riding shotgun in case it occurs again. No issues since. The intermittent power loss happened all in one night (cold night at that).