Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models
View Poll Results: Should Infiniti go Luxury or Exotic ?
Ultra Luxury Car (7-series, S-class competitor)
17.20%
Exotic Sports Car (R8, SLS competitor)
82.80%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Infiniti considers Audi R8 competitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:25 AM
smashhell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti considers Audi R8 competitor

A bunch of news articles pop up today, they are all saying Infiniti is in debate of their next flagship car if it will be a top of the line luxury car or a top of the line sports car.

What do you guys think ?

Infiniti considers Audi R8 competitor? - Top Speed
When Infiniti unveiled the Essence concept at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show the world understood that this is a brand that will put makers like BMW or Lexus in lots of trouble. And sales confirm it: up 27.5%. After all this should come as no surprise considering Infiniti has one model in almost every segment of the market.

So you will understand why Infiniti is taking their expansion under serious consideration. Next there will be a high-price halo car and a new entry-level model. As for the halo car there are lots of debates: Infiniti needs to decide is this new model will be a flagship sedan similar to models like BMW 7-Series or a sports car that will take on models like Audi R8: "It’s kind of perennial debate within the organization. What do we need by way of a flagship for the Infiniti range?’ I don’t think we’ve yet arrived at a conclusion," Brian Carolin, NNA vice president-sales said in an interview with Wards.

As for a new entry-level model: "“I think (an entry-luxury car) would have to be a very different product, (on) a different platform."
Report: Infiniti debating anchoring line-up with both entry-level and halo models — Autoblog

It's not uncommon for an automaker to be evaluating several potential products at the same time, but those models usually hover within the parameters of the company's existing line-up. Not the case with Infiniti. Nissan's luxury division is reportedly looking at going both up-market and down with a pair of new products to give it a much father reach than the current range.

First up is a halo model, and after looking at the competition, Infiniti has reportedly come to the conclusion that, in order to lure buyers into showrooms, they'll need something attractive and high-end. And while a successor to the Q45 flagship sedan was once seen as a potential route, reports indicate that, if given the green light, a sportscar to rival the likes of the Audi R8, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG and even the Lexus LFA would be the way to go. The show-stopping Essence concept previewed that notion, but Infiniti is reportedly still mulling the idea over, and the presence of the Nissan GT-R surely isn't helping focus the picture.

At the other end of the spectrum, Infiniti has long been considering the idea of an entry-level hatchback model to take on the Audi A3, BMW 1 Series and Volvo C30. Arch-rival Lexus became the first of the Japanese luxury brands to earnestly pursue the segment with the CT 200h, and if Infiniti is serious about getting a younger demographic, it could opt to follow suite in short order.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
exotic sports car!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
exotic sports car!
Exactly! If it started at $110k+, I don't think it would be stepping on Godzilla's toes.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd just like to see them go from concept to production without running it through the sheit filter... The Essance is beautiful, how folks with this design talent produce such lame upgrades for the G is beyond me.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Tough choice. Since the GT-R is branded as a Nissan, let them develop the supercar end for now and make the new Infiniti halo car a luxury sedan comparable to 7 or S class. Whichever route they choose, it will sell well if done right and done all the way. While keeping a price point in mind, they should pull out the stops and cut nor corners on luxury or performance.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That design is stunning. I say sports route!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 AM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
So you will understand why Infiniti is taking their expansion under serious consideration. Next there will be a high-price halo car and a new entry-level model. As for the halo car there are lots of debates: Infiniti needs to decide is this new model will be a flagship sedan similar to models like BMW 7-Series or a sports car that will take on models like Audi R8: "It’s kind of perennial debate within the organization. What do we need by way of a flagship for the Infiniti range?’ I don’t think we’ve yet arrived at a conclusion," Brian Carolin, NNA vice president-sales said in an interview with Wards.
Nothing new here. It seems every month I read an article where Infinti ponders flagship or not. Essence or not. This has been going on for 2+ years now. They will will be thinking about this decision years from now and there will be nothing of substance to show for it.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes, but they are at least dipping their toes in the pool now that they have created an actual brand for the models (IPL). I doubt they'd have gone through the tremendous expense and amount of work that takes if all they had planned for it was the IPL G coupe. They haven't been making significant headway into the segment until now. They haven't been really considered much as legitimate competition to other Euro luxury brands (or really even to Lexus) until more recently. I think they'll make a big move in the next few years. It takes a while. How long was the LF-A in development before hitting the street?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:37 PM
smashhell

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Tough choice. Since the GT-R is branded as a Nissan, let them develop the supercar end for now and make the new Infiniti halo car a luxury sedan comparable to 7 or S class. Whichever route they choose, it will sell well if done right and done all the way. While keeping a price point in mind, they should pull out the stops and cut nor corners on luxury or performance.
I agree mostly with you on the GTR. But I do see there is a whole another segment not being able to fill in by the GTR. The GTR is a pure super sports car with no luxury in mind. When you look at the other high priced super cars, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Maserati, they all have equally as amazing luxury as their speed. This is something that the GTR lack but can be fill in by Infiniti.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Yes, but they are at least dipping their toes in the pool now that they have created an actual brand for the models (IPL). I doubt they'd have gone through the tremendous expense and amount of work that takes if all they had planned for it was the IPL G coupe. They haven't been making significant headway into the segment until now. They haven't been really considered much as legitimate competition to other Euro luxury brands (or really even to Lexus) until more recently. I think they'll make a big move in the next few years. It takes a while. How long was the LF-A in development before hitting the street?
Yeah I complete agrees. Infiniti has really been on a roll lately. I still remember in the G35 days where there are nothing worth buying other than the G at Infiniti. Now they are making a big hit with the G37(coupe,sedan,convert), the FX, the EX, and more recently the Q and the M. I have not seen another brand where every single car they have is worth buying asides from Infiniti. They really have gone a long way and things are only going to get better.

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
I'd just like to see them go from concept to production without running it through the sheit filter... The Essance is beautiful, how folks with this design talent produce such lame upgrades for the G is beyond me.
I would love to see the Essence go into production too.

I wouldn't call it an lame upgrade though. The essence is what fueled the design of our G37. A damn awesome upgrade from the G35.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 PM
smashhell

Some pictures of the Infiniti Essence, just cause I love it so much.

Edit:

Last edited by smashhell; 01-23-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:54 AM
AussieV36

If a production model looks anywhere in the ballpark as the essence concept, it should be no debate as to the direction infiniti should take ffs!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to see a 7 Series/S Class/A8/LS competitor. It'll have a wider audience than an R8 type vehicle and plus I want somethine to upgrade to after my M56S lease is up.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally, if they're going to make and R8 competitor, it's going to step on Godzilla's toes.

They should just go the way of Maserati. Make SUPER sexy car (ie: Essence) and then make it SUPER lux. Give it a solid (not supercar) engine, and sell it for less than the Merc CL/Granturismo. Imagine the Essence concept with a turned M56 engine putting out around 500hp? I mean, they could even drop the GT-R engine in it, but tune it for lux and not brutal power, possibly removing the AWD.

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I'd like to see a 7 Series/S Class/A8/LS competitor. It'll have a wider audience than an R8 type vehicle and plus I want somethine to upgrade to after my M56S lease is up.
I doubt it. If you're going for top tier sedans, You're not going to get an Infiniti. Just watch how well the Hundai Equus does. Infiniti already tried that with the old Q45, and it sold like crap.

On the other hand, if Infiniti wanted to go for that segment, they would need to change their branding strategy and SERIOUSLY up their lux.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Gazan37
Banned

EXOTIC!!! The essence just makes me drool. It was quite possibly the best car at the LA auto show this year. No one could take their eyes off it the same crowd was literally around it for a good 30-40 mins and when the announcer said there were no plans of making it there was a unanimous "AWWWW!" from the whole crowd.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM
smashhell

Originally Posted by crazjayz
Personally, if they're going to make and R8 competitor, it's going to step on Godzilla's toes.

They should just go the way of Maserati. Make SUPER sexy car (ie: Essence) and then make it SUPER lux. Give it a solid (not supercar) engine, and sell it for less than the Merc CL/Granturismo. Imagine the Essence concept with a turned M56 engine putting out around 500hp? I mean, they could even drop the GT-R engine in it, but tune it for lux and not brutal power, possibly removing the AWD.

I doubt it. If you're going for top tier sedans, You're not going to get an Infiniti. Just watch how well the Hundai Equus does. Infiniti already tried that with the old Q45, and it sold like crap.

On the other hand, if Infiniti wanted to go for that segment, they would need to change their branding strategy and SERIOUSLY up their lux.
I agree with you there. Many of us who brought an Infiniti went into this brand because we all wanted something different. And that is a strong point for Infiniti. If Infiniti goes into the luxury seden segment, I am afraid it might be too much like Lexus. Pretty much the whole Japanese Luxury seden market are own by Lexus. Infiniti might face some tough competition there.

Originally Posted by Gazan37
EXOTIC!!! The essence just makes me drool. It was quite possibly the best car at the LA auto show this year. No one could take their eyes off it the same crowd was literally around it for a good 30-40 mins and when the announcer said there were no plans of making it there was a unanimous "AWWWW!" from the whole crowd.
Haha, I was there too.

It's crazy seeing the amount of people crowding around the Essence at the LA Auto Show. At least 30-40 people drooling over it at all time. No other car in any other companies on the show floor capture as many people as the Essence. Infiniti should know how much it attract people. They really should give it the green light.

Quick Reply: Infiniti considers Audi R8 competitor