Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models
View Poll Results: Should Infiniti go Luxury or Exotic ?
Ultra Luxury Car (7-series, S-class competitor)
17.20%
Exotic Sports Car (R8, SLS competitor)
82.80%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Infiniti considers Audi R8 competitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
If Infiniti releases a production version of the Essence, people who could afford it would be all over it. That car is just beautiful and I don't see them making another car that beautiful with just using the styling cues of the Essence.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Ten K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a supercar seems pointless. No one is going to plop a half million on an Infiniti. But a tech forward, finely appointed, comfortable to drive.... but still go crazy car for say...$135,000? Yeah. I'd hit that. Port the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes from the 2012 THE to reduce cost and keep stunning performance... but in a package that has the lines of the Essence. I see this car and mentally equate it with the SLS, the 599, or the DB9... but with Japanese reliability.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Big luxury car would be a much better seller.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
N50

Well, considering the capability of Nissan to manufacture an insanely quick "sports-car" for the money in the GT-R, they should be very much able to do the same with an Infiniti high-lux GT / Exotic. Seeing as how we've all been teased by the essence, I don't see why a DB9 / 599 / GranTurismo S "competitor", as posted earlier, is out of the question.

If the LF-A was successful (and I'm not sure it has been because I haven't researched it) out-of-the-box, then I don't think Infiniti should have too much trouble marketing and selling the and Essence production vehicle so long as they stay pretty true to the concept. It has everyone's attention, even those who surely couldn't afford it... and that's a good thing!

Last edited by N50; 01-31-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:24 PM
xSSv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smashhell
Some pictures of the Infiniti Essence, just cause I love it so much.

Edit:

Take this exact car (minus that think in the trunk) and market it against the BMW 6 series & Audi S5. Much more lucrative market. This would do for infiniti what the CLS did for mercedes...

Last edited by xSSv; 03-11-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: edit
Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by N50
Well, considering the capability of Nissan to manufacture an insanely quick "sports-car" for the money in the GT-R, they should be very much able to do the same with an Infiniti high-lux GT / Exotic. Seeing as how we've all been teased by the essence, I don't see why a DB9 / 599 / GranTurismo S "competitor", as posted earlier, is out of the question.

If the LF-A was successful (and I'm not sure it has been because I haven't researched it) out-of-the-box, then I don't think Infiniti should have too much trouble marketing and selling the and Essence production vehicle so long as they stay pretty true to the concept. It has everyone's attention, even those who surely couldn't afford it... and that's a good thing!
1) Nissan won't make something that steps on the GT-R performance wise. It's like Ferrari and Maserati. Maserati's will never be as fast as Ferrari's. That being said, they could definitely make a super-lux GT, much like the Essence, and throw in the GT-R engine/drivetrain. The significant weight increase, should put it below the GT-R in terms of performance, but waaay up in term of lux. Problem is, now that the GT-R Egoist is coming out, that puts a kink in that idea.

2) To see the Essance as a DB9/599/Granturismo S competitor is HIGHLY unlikely. The 599 is +$300k and it's performance is blisteringly fast. The DB9 while it's not a hypercar of any sort, is an Aston Martin, and it costs $180k base. I can see it being mostly a Granturismo S competitor, both in performance and in price. The Granturismo S is $130k, which is in the ballpark of where the Essence should be sold at.

3) From a financial perspective, like the Veryon, Phaeton, and many cars before them, the LFA was/is a financial disaster. I don't think Infiniti is that strong of a brand that can make a car that they take a loss on, nor is Nissan big enough to finance such a car.

Originally Posted by Chi_g35
Take this exact car (minus that think in the trunk) and market it against the BMW 6 series & Audi S5. Much more lucrative market. This would do for infiniti what the CLS did for mercedes...
The BMW 6 series and Audi 5 "series" are too low for a car like this. The Essence needs to be a one-off, single model by itself. It's not a "jacked up" version of a normal road-going car. 6 series, maybe, but I'd shoot even higher.

Oh, and the bespoke trunk is one of my favorite parts of the car. At the very least, they should keep it as an option.

Last edited by crazjayz; 03-11-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
N50

Originally Posted by crazjayz
1) Nissan won't make something that steps on the GT-R performance wise. It's like Ferrari and Maserati. Maserati's will never be as fast as Ferrari's. That being said, they could definitely make a super-lux GT, much like the Essence, and throw in the GT-R engine/drivetrain. The significant weight increase, should put it below the GT-R in terms of performance, but waaay up in term of lux. Problem is, now that the GT-R Egoist is coming out, that puts a kink in that idea.
Yes, maybe...but Infiniti has, particularly lately, voiced their opinion which is to separate themselves from Nissan. While I don't believe a total separation is likely to happen anytime soon, if at all, Infiniti is more and more thinking about its brand and vehicles as separate entities from its parent.

2) To see the Essance as a DB9/599/Granturismo S competitor is HIGHLY unlikely. The 599 is +$300k and it's performance is blisteringly fast. The DB9 while it's not a hypercar of any sort, is an Aston Martin, and it costs $180k base. I can see it being mostly a Granturismo S competitor, both in performance and in price. The Granturismo S is $130k, which is in the ballpark of where the Essence should be sold at.
I wasn't talking in terms of price necessarily. I was talking in terms of types of vehicles. GTs to be specific. However, we know that Infiniti can make some very good cars for the money. $130,000 is about right...maybe even slightly less. I'm sure Infiniti can turn some heads in that price range. With Infiniti's new F1 sponsorship (Red Bull Renault) and their continues marketing blitz, I think it is a matter of time before Infiniti builds an even better brand image. No, it won't happen overnight.

3) From a financial perspective, like the Veryon, Phaeton, and many cars before them, the LFA was/is a financial disaster. I don't think Infiniti is that strong of a brand that can make a car that they take a loss on, nor is Nissan big enough to finance such a car.
Of the cars you list above, only the Phaeton do I know for sure was a marketing and financial failure which is why sales, on this side of the pond at least, stopped a while ago. While the LF-A may be a loss leader (and by loss leader I mean Lexus is selling the car at or slightly above cost), I have no proof it is an utter financial failure. Plus, the LF-A brings benefit to the entire Lexus lineup by its very existence.

Last edited by N50; 03-11-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
i meet with exoticsrally.com and all these guys still have money to play with high end cars....exotics sports car is definitely a way to profit from easily.

Look at the LFA....price tag is not an issue
Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 AM
N50

Originally Posted by da mayor
i meet with exoticsrally.com and all these guys still have money to play with high end cars....exotics sports car is definitely a way to profit from easily.

Look at the LFA....price tag is not an issue
Oh, absolutely. The money these guys have to play with is becoming more and more, not less and less. The Aventador was just announced and it is already sold out. The LF-A was sold out right out of the gate and it is a half-million dollar Lexus, not a Lamborghini. Sometimes I think TOO much emphasis is put on brand by everyone. We lose sight of the fact that people with that kind of money to spend are looking for exclusivity and quality almost irregardless of branding. Branding is the assurance for high net worth individuals they are getting the exclusivity and quality they desire. All Infiniti has to do is get both of those requirements done really well (along with truly seductive design) and make sure they get the car in front of the right people (literally let them feel, see, touch, and maybe even drive?) and it will sellout for sure. I know I made that sound really easy but I think Infiniti can definitely produce an Essence-like vehicle in the next couple of years and do just fine with it.

Hell, I bet Jay Leno would be first in line...

Edit: ...And I do think a total separation from Nissan, at least in the mind of consumers, would go a long way in helping with perception. Yes, branding is important but exclusivity and quality are far more so...

Last edited by N50; 03-12-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 AM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by N50
Of the cars you list above, only the Phaeton do I know for sure was a marketing and financial failure which is why sales, on this side of the pond at least, stopped a while ago. While the LF-A may be a loss leader (and by loss leader I mean Lexus is selling the car at or slightly above cost), I have no proof it is an utter financial failure. Plus, the LF-A brings benefit to the entire Lexus lineup by its very existence.
The Veryon cost VW about $3.5 million each, yet they only sold 'em for 1M. Toyota will probably lose about $100-150k on each LFA. I don't even want to know how much that CF loom cost them.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
smashhell

The Veryon cost VW about $3.5 million each, yet they only sold 'em for 1M. Toyota will probably lose about $100-150k on each LFA. I don't even want to know how much that CF loom cost them.
Lexus and Veryon may lose some money on their hyper cars. But what they gain through selling cars like this is extremely valuable. Just think about what it does to the brand image and brand name. All those celebrity buying the the LFA who would never even consider a Lexus before gave Lexus a ton of press.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 AM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smashhell
Lexus and Veryon may lose some money on their hyper cars. But what they gain through selling cars like this is extremely valuable. Just think about what it does to the brand image and brand name. All those celebrity buying the the LFA who would never even consider a Lexus before gave Lexus a ton of press.
I kinda of agree with you, but I'm going to say that Bugatti didn't any sort of increase in brand image or brand name. They were quite literally the best in the business. They Veryon was just another spectacular car made by them. From an corporation standpoint though (looking through the eyes of VW), it was a financial failure. Granted I'm almost positive VW knew they were going to loose money on the project before they green lighted it.

The LFA, while I suppose it could have helped Lexus increasing its brand image or brand name, doesn't really flow with the rest of the lineup. And what N50 mentioned about it bringing benefit to the entire Lexus lineup doesn't add up as well. How does selling a super-rare, super-expensive car help to sell IS250s?

I'm not trying to be argumentative for arguments sake, I would just rather see Infiniti produce a car more R8-ish rather than LFA-ish.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 AM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are the side mirrors? lol
Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
smashhell

I kinda of agree with you, but I'm going to say that Bugatti didn't any sort of increase in brand image or brand name. They were quite literally the best in the business. They Veryon was just another spectacular car made by them. From an corporation standpoint though (looking through the eyes of VW), it was a financial failure. Granted I'm almost positive VW knew they were going to loose money on the project before they green lighted it.

The LFA, while I suppose it could have helped Lexus increasing its brand image or brand name, doesn't really flow with the rest of the lineup. And what N50 mentioned about it bringing benefit to the entire Lexus lineup doesn't add up as well. How does selling a super-rare, super-expensive car help to sell IS250s?

I'm not trying to be argumentative for arguments sake, I would just rather see Infiniti produce a car more R8-ish rather than LFA-ish.
Again, because of press. An example would be: Oh so and so superstar just brought a Lexus, therefore I want one too(one that I could afford). Another example would be: Oh lexus is making a car that cost more than Ferrari, surely they make awesome cars(buy IS).

Pretty crappy examples I know lol, but the LFA definitely helped Lexus sell more cars.

But I do agree Infiniti should do a car more R8-ish. Since they still have a long way to go before catching up with Lexus in terms of profit and sales. (They could price the Essence at R8 price though.)

Originally Posted by LarryG
Where are the side mirrors? lol
The side mirrors are those 2 little holes on the side of the car. They did away with the side mirrors for side cameras.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
N50

Crazjayz, I don't think you were being argumentative. Its just a good debate. Healthy.

That said, I do agree with you guys it should be a R8 competitor or a solid grand tourer. I think we are being a little unrealistic to say Infiniti should build an LF-A competitor.

The reason the LF-A was brought up was to say, "See, Lexus has the ability and took the risk" of attempting to play in supercar territory both in terms of price and performance. And since Lexus was able, why can't Infiniti? For us personally, the fact the LF-A cost 400,000 is pretty much irrevelant because most of us couldn't begin to afford even a 100,000 car. However, the prestige, attention (press), and potential for new clientele the LF-A brings to the Lexus brand and its lineup is very much relevant. Its a car people can aspire to own one day. Although, if you ask me, I think 400,000 is a pretty big jump even from the top of the line LS.

So in terms of perception, a car which fits in price and performance wise with the Audi R8 would be a good move for Infiniti, I think. It would bring press and people to showrooms to view lesser known models like the M and FX with the hope of owning the halo car. Only in Infiniti's case, the dream of owning such a car wouldn't be as far-fetched as Lexus' LF-A.

Quick Reply: Infiniti considers Audi R8 competitor