Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models
View Poll Results: Should Infiniti go Luxury or Exotic ?
Ultra Luxury Car (7-series, S-class competitor)
17.20%
Exotic Sports Car (R8, SLS competitor)
82.80%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Infiniti considers Audi R8 competitor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by smashhell
Again, because of press. An example would be: Oh so and so superstar just brought a Lexus, therefore I want one too(one that I could afford). Another example would be: Oh lexus is making a car that cost more than Ferrari, surely they make awesome cars(buy IS).

Pretty crappy examples I know lol, but the LFA definitely helped Lexus sell more cars.

But I do agree Infiniti should do a car more R8-ish. Since they still have a long way to go before catching up with Lexus in terms of profit and sales. (They could price the Essence at R8 price though.)
If what you're saying is that celebrities and whatnot buying an LFA actually has an impact on the sales/image of Lexus, I have to strongly disagree. Many, MANY people don't understand the point of the LFA, especially when compared to other supercars. Is the the fastest? nope. Stylish? Nope (people are split on this one). Most radical? another no.

"So then what's the point?"
It's a technological marvel.
"Uhhh, what's so marvelous if it's not the best at anything?"

Yeah, that's what many people think. And about the celebrity factor, I'm going to take a stab that the Prius has gotten the most celebrity push behind any car of late. Name one person off the top of your head that has an LFA (apart from Jay Leno). I'm pretty sure you can name more celebrities with Prii (I think that's the established plural of Prius).

To slant this conversation in another direction, what if Infiniti did release the essence, just with a hybrid drivetrain, say a E(ssence)56h. What would you think about that? 450ish hp and ~30 mpg highway.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM
irock
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti would be much smarter to stay purely luxury, compete with the 7 series. Nissan already has the GT-R, no need for Infinti to try.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
N50

Originally Posted by crazjayz
To slant this conversation in another direction, what if Infiniti did release the essence, just with a hybrid drivetrain, say a E(ssence)56h. What would you think about that? 450ish hp and ~30 mpg highway.
If Infiniti is trying to create a "green performance" niche, which is looking more and more what they are trying do, than this is awesome. BMW has a concept (i8 hybrid, I think) running around somewhere that looks to be BMW's answer to that question. So, who's going to get it market first?

Edit: This would completely dispel the notion that hybrids can't be performance cars. I think the M hybrid already makes a decent case.

Last edited by N50; 04-06-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by irock
Infiniti would be much smarter to stay purely luxury, compete with the 7 series. Nissan already has the GT-R, no need for Infinti to try.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Infiniti already tried this with the Q45, and it didn't work. The people who are looking to buy a 7 Series/S-Class/A8 really don't care that much about a 15% difference in price (heck, the option list alone may be already 10k), which is what the Infiniti "discount" would be.

For a good example, look at the Hundai Equus and lets see how many units they sell. It's essentially a 7 series for 5 series money.

Nissan does have the GT-R, and granted with the news of the Egoist edition making a luxury sports car like the Essence becomes harder, but the point behind it isn't to compete with the GT-R. For example, Mercedes makes the SL65 AMG and the SLS. Both are withing spitting distance in price, and both serve up beastly engines. But why sell both? It's because each one is catered to a different audience. The GT-R and something like the Essence would sell to entirely different markets.

Another example would be the Maserati GranTurismo and the Ferrari F430. Granted they have a huge price gap between them, but the analogy still stands that one is all out performance, while the other pushes heavily on the luxury side.

Originally Posted by N50
If Infiniti is trying to create a "green performance" niche, which is looking more and more what they are trying do, than this is awesome. BMW has a concept (i8 hybrid, I think) running around somewhere that looks to be BMW's answer to that question. So, who's going to get it market first?

Edit: This would completely dispel the notion that hybrids can't be performance cars. I think the M hybrid already makes a decent case.
I agree. I can only hope that there will be a G35h coming out soon. It seems to be the best of both worlds, especially since I drive a lot of city driving in downtown LA.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazjayz
Nissan does have the GT-R, and granted with the news of the Egoist edition making a luxury sports car like the Essence becomes harder, but the point behind it isn't to compete with the GT-R.
I would not worry about the Egoist edition. IMO, luxury has to start with the exterior because the design plays an important part in how the vehicle is perceived. Nissan can upgrade the GTR with upscale leather and a carbon fiber counsel, but the GTR does not come across as a luxury car in its current design. Don't get me wrong, the GTR has presence but not that luxury/exotic type of presence the Essence would command.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 PM
risin

Infiniti is showing a mid engine car in march. I'm not too fond of the styling.

Car and Driver Blog » Infiniti to Show Mid-Engine, Rear-Wheel-Drive Sports Car Concept at Geneva Auto Show [UPDATE: PHOTOS]
Old 12-31-2011, 12:10 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
infiniti needs a super car.

deep pockets won't buy an infiniti luxury car until they know the breeding is right. as long as infiniti shares any part of a nissan, that will never happen. I honestly get pissed when Maxima owners say it's the same car. which was true up until the V36.

i mean seriously just make the essence!~ make it limited edition.

Last edited by mw09g37; 12-31-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:51 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Infiniti should concentrate on making better G37 and M37. Right now the brand is selling based on price, not performance and refinement like BMW and Audi.
My 2 cents.