Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Questions about Manual Mode in G37x

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 PM
HipsterDstroyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about Manual Mode in G37x

Hello everyone! I've been a lurker on this site since I got my G, but I need some help that only these forums can provide! To answer your question, YES I used the search function haha. But between the information on and off this site, I am left with conflicting opinions...

So, I have a 2013 G37x sedan. My previous car (Ford Fusion) had nowhere near the performance capabilities of the G, and did not include manual mode. I love using the manual mode when it's convenient, but I'm concerned about engine braking. This is where dozens of opinions/sources from across the web have made things a mess. I want to make sure that what I'm doing is NOT harming the car.

For example, say I'm leaving the highway. As I slow down from 75ish, I'll gradually bump it down into 6th, then 5th while coasting as I approach the off-ramp. As I move down the ramp I'll brake, then once I'm going roughly 45mph, and the RPM's fall below 2k, I'll shift into 4th. Here is where my confusion begins.

Now, the RPM's jump a little bit (2.5k), and I feel a noticeable slowing of the car, even if I don't use the brakes - I think I'm safe in assuming this is engine breaking. Is this, as I've described it, bad for the transmission, engine, etc? From what I gather, this isn't bad unless you're throwing it into 2nd at 60mph and jacking the RPM's up to 6k....however there are also plenty of people saying "Oh I'd rather pay for brake pads then a new transmission!"

So, is what I'm doing okay as long as I'm not being a tool about it? Is it really as intuitive as it seems?

Now, let's flip the coin and talk about our favorite thing ever, ACCELERATION!!!

If I'm coming up an ON-ramp now, haha the tables have turned! Let's say I'm cruising around the curve in 4th, speed 40mph, RPM's about 2k....

Once I get on the road, I drop it into 3rd and put the pedal down. I get a badass redline shift into 4th right as I go under two overpasses Now, the transition feels smooth as glass, like I put it into gear, and me hammering the pedal seems to sync perfectly with the uprev brought on by the shift. Obviously this is more damaging to the car than average, everyday, boring-*** driving. But am I doing anything significant here, or simply having a good time?

Thank you to all who decide to reply, I tried to break up the mass of text for you!

Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Stop worrying and enjoy the car.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
You worry too much.

oh and when going 40mph you should be down shifting to 2nd gear not 3rd
Old 02-26-2019, 10:53 AM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
+1, you aren't going to hurt the car by doing this. Even if you drive the car in DS mode, it will downshift and engine brake under hard braking, so if the car does this on it's own, it isn't going to be any different than you doing it. As Slartibartfast said, enjoy the car and drive it like you want to.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Just an FYI. In manual mode the car downshifts itself also. (in case you didn't know it yet) I have had a couple of instances where it downshifted itself just as I hit the paddle to downshift so it dropped 2 gears instead of one. GRRR..
However, I like the downshift points more in manual mode than in DS. That drop from 4th to 3rd that revs the motor in DS is annoying as hell in traffic. Doesn't do that in manual mode.
Ecutek has said they are working on updates for the 7AT. Hope they can find a way to get control over its brain.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Invaderzim
Just an FYI. In manual mode the car downshifts itself also. (in case you didn't know it yet) I have had a couple of instances where it downshifted itself just as I hit the paddle to downshift so it dropped 2 gears instead of one. GRRR..
Quoted for truth
Old 02-28-2019, 06:21 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Ecutek has said they are working on updates for the 7AT. Hope they can find a way to get control over its brain.
That would be GREAT if they can figure this out!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2019, 03:02 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I'd go so far as to run my 7AT in pure manual mode. No auto anything.