Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Am I screwed? Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 12:17 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same issue, but my car threw codes with the throttle body. Specifically, my car went into limp mode, CEL came on along with VDC OFF and SLIP lights. Had my throttle body cleaned and performed a throttle re-learn...haven't had an issue since. I believe the other possibility, which it still is, was to replace the entire throttle body. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by smitty37g
I work at a shop, I had this happen one day on my way to work. Hooked up the scan tool, while the car was still running, no codes. Turned the car off, checked again. No codes.
I had this happen 3 times in the last 4 months. It just happened again on Friday. Still no codes. I am going to do a throttle clean, I will ck that switch. I just wish we had more of a solid answer.
I had the very same issue n had a throttle body cleaning done, haven't had a problem since. Now the dealer was fully aware of the issue n gladly wanted $280 for me but my mechanic did it n a full synthetic oil change for 140 so good luck.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:47 PM
GeeQGee37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue this morning. I drive a 09 G37 coupe rwd and took it up to the snow about an hour away. Car was running fine with a little slipping as you can imagine. However, about 3/4 of the way to the top of summit, car got stuck at 2500rpm. It would start to jerk around and could not exceed 2500rpm. I continued the drive and shut the car off when reached our destination. I read about limp mode and how turning off the car would work. Car has 63k miles, have only put 10k miles in the last 2 years since purchase. Will do 60k service [all fluids change (motor, tranny, diff), filters, throttle body & maf cleaning, brakes]. I will also replace spark plugs although I read those are rated to last up to 100k.

Car ran like a champ when driving home from snow but yea, thought it was ****ed. I checked timing belt and is fine, oil levels fine. Hopefully doesnt happen again.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Luky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elco
Check the brake pedal switch. That one can cause such behavior with no error codes.

G37 brake switch
+1 to this. I had to stomp my brakes once to avoid an accident and apparently I bent the assembly a little. My buddy noted my brake lights were on when I was sitting in the parking lot with my foot off the brake pedal so this is easy to check for. I fixed it by gluing (2 part epoxy) a thin 1/8" and 1" x 1" wood shim under the brake pedal switch.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:44 AM
MStrike
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luky
+1 to this. I had to stomp my brakes once to avoid an accident and apparently I bent the assembly a little. My buddy noted my brake lights were on when I was sitting in the parking lot with my foot off the brake pedal so this is easy to check for. I fixed it by gluing (2 part epoxy) a thin 1/8" and 1" x 1" wood shim under the brake pedal switch.
Do you just remove the brake pedal and look to see if the wire is bent or something? Also, could you describe in detail what you exactly did?
Old 10-07-2020, 09:01 PM
HFXG37S
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this problem in winter last year, same bucking exhaust. If it happed when driving. you can pull over and reset ecu. (search youtube: infiniti ecu reset). its easy and will let you drive the car.
I solved the problem by checking the MAF readings. One was faulty but did not give a code. Also i heard header leak will cause the problem too.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:28 PM
Young-G
Registered Member

I had the same 3500 rpm limp mode problem with no codes what so ever. The nissan dealer had to hit the gas pedal for the ECU to cut the power at 3500 a couple of times to get a code. They found P0011 and said it was a bad sprocket (after cleaning and switching sides for the solenoids. If the solenoid was bad it should change to the other bank).

Just my 2 cents... Hopefully someone will find it useful
Old 05-02-2021, 12:48 PM
G3sevenn
Registered Member

Hey I’m now starting to have this same issue on my 09 g37x. Not letting me rev past 3500 and almost seems like the engine starts choking. Did you guys find a solution to this issue? What ended up being the problem? Helppp
Old 03-24-2023, 01:13 AM
VQ_N_STL
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, reviving a dead but first in Google search thread.

ITB09-028 fixed my issue. Had to pay for the flash but haven't seen the bucking in a long time. I believe it's gone and car drives awesome now.