Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help with Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Jeebus

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Help with Overheating

So I went out for lunch today and noticed that the Engine Temp went well over H, I opened the hood and looked at the coolant and it was all gone. So I just went to buy some, but after letting the car rest I started the car up and the radiator hose is burning hot and the car was literally on for 20 seconds. Can anyone guide me to what could be the issue I can't make it to the dealership until Monday. The engine is very hot as well and has a a smell of a kind of burned oil.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Could be several things from head gasket, heater core, radiator leak, water pump, radiator cap, hose fittings. Really need to have the system tested at a shop if there's nothing obvious. Any coolant leaks that you're able to ID? I wouldn't drive it in it's current state,
G/L
Old 07-26-2018, 11:17 PM
Jeebus

Originally Posted by blnewt
Could be several things from head gasket, heater core, radiator leak, water pump, radiator cap, hose fittings. Really need to have the system tested at a shop if there's nothing obvious. Any coolant leaks that you're able to ID? I wouldn't drive it in it's current state,
G/L
As far as I can tell I get leaking from the AC but I assume that's pretty normal for most car especially here in Florida, this started to happen cause the temperature in Florida is like 95+ everyday so assume that doesn't help much either. But awhile ago a tech did tell me I had a coolant leak, but at another dealership they said they didn't see any. I also now a check engine light... this really sucks cause I don't wanna pay for anything over $500 especially since I am planning on a Q60RS later this year.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:32 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeebus
...t awhile ago a tech did tell me I had a coolant leak, but at another dealership they said they didn't see any. I also now a check engine light... this really sucks cause I don't wanna pay for anything over $500 especially since I am planning on a Q60RS later this year.
Why didn't you request a pressure test after you were told you had a coolant leak?

Telcoman
Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Need to pull the code for that engine light, hopefully nothing serious resulted from the overheating. Coolant leaks can be tricky to detect sometimes, especially if it's leaking from an area where the coolant will evaporate (like hot exhaust parts) and not leave an obvious puddle. Also be sure to check the oil dipstick for any milky residue since it could be leaking into the motor.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:13 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
So I went out for lunch today and noticed that the Engine Temp went well over H, I opened the hood and looked at the coolant and it was all gone. So I just went to buy some, but after letting the car rest I started the car up and the radiator hose is burning hot and the car was literally on for 20 seconds. Can anyone guide me to what could be the issue I can't make it to the dealership until Monday. The engine is very hot as well and has a a smell of a kind of burned oil.
is there a reason why you can't tow your car to the dealer or shop to have it checked out? they don't need you to be there to inspect the car. your radiator hose may be burning hot due to the engine lacking coolant and possibly now it has a air bubble which in itself will cause the engine to overheat too. it would be best to have the cooling sys pressure tested, thermostat checked, and cooling fan operation tested. as far as the burning smell, it may be a possible coolant leak and fluid is being burnt up by the hot engine or exhaust.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:04 AM
Jeebus

So I did take it to the dealership, got a chance to get off early. Dropped the car off and it's a bad water pump from what the advisor told me.. which is going to cost $2k..

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2018, 09:11 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

So I did take it to the dealership, got a chance to get off early. Dropped the car off and it's a bad water pump from what the advisor told me.. which is going to cost $2k..
Ouch! What year is your G? Not 100% sure if they would automatically change those oil gallery gaskets that are prone to fail on pre 2012 models when replacing the water pump. If yours is pre 2012 I would make sure that those gaskets are changed while they're in there replacing the pump, would hate to have to go through another $2k if those gaskets crap out.
G/L

Old 07-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Jeebus

Originally Posted by blnewt
Ouch! What year is your G? Not 100% sure if they would automatically change those oil gallery gaskets that are prone to fail on pre 2012 models when replacing the water pump. If yours is pre 2012 I would make sure that those gaskets are changed while they're in there replacing the pump, would hate to have to go through another $2k if those gaskets crap out.
G/L
Mine is 2011, at this point I'm not sure if I want to shell out $2k right now. The only problem is I don't think there are many well qualified mechanics in my area which is why it's such a hard choice for me. Do I pay the $2k and know that I'm backed by Infiniti if anything goes wrong, or go to a mechanic and get charged $1k and something might go wrong especially if they're not used to working on this water pump which isn't located like most traditional car.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:07 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Hunt around for a shop specialing in Z cars.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:02 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Hunt around for a shop specialing in Z cars.
This^^ or at least give a Nissan dealer a go and see what they quote for the repair, typically cheaper than Infiniti, and they will have the techs versed on the VQ motor.