Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

OBD Scanner/Dongle Q&A Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:59 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
OBD Scanner/Dongle Q&A Thread

Just wondering who uses an OBD-2 scanner/dongle and app on their phone...

For me, I use OBD Fusion on my iPad with a cheap ELM 327 wi-fi dongle to data log air fuel ratios, air intake temp, RPM, MAP and AFR when my car is being dynoed or when I make a 2nd gear 2,000-7,500 RPM wide open throttle pass.

By the way, when the intake temp is high (80s), the factory air/fuel ratio is low 10s. However when the intake air temp is lower (50s) it is high 11s - mid 12s.

What app do you use and what do you use it for?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
You know, I think I can do a wifi connection on mine instead of Bluetooth. I may have to try that if the sample rate is greater than with BT. I'm using Fusion and my iPhone but I have an iPad I can use. Using the LElink bluetooth OBD monitor.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I use a cheap $8 elm327 from eBay along with torque pro. I have added the advanced Nissan ex plugin for torque pro. It monitors some vq37 specific parameters like oil temp for example.

Problem is sometimes torque can't display all the available parameters of the advanced ex Nissan plugin. I am pretty sure it's the elm bt adapter which is causing this. Can someone suggest a good alternative, wifi or BT should be fine.

How do I check the sample rate on my obd adapter?

Last edited by Presto; 12-17-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:47 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I've been using the plx bt adapter.

Kiwi 2 OBD2 OBDII Wireless Bluetooth Diagnostic Scanner | Android

No issues here. I believe this model is EOL and has been replaced with an updated model. You get what you pay for with these.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i use mine once in a while.

there is a fairly new Dashmaker app for Android that is kinda cool - lets you design your own dashboard/gauges.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...arFrenzy&hl=en

Old 12-17-2016, 01:20 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
I use a cheap $8 elm327 from eBay along with torque pro. I have added the advanced Nissan ex plugin for torque pro. It monitors some vq37 specific parameters like oil temp for example.

Problem is sometimes torque can't display all the available parameters of the advanced ex Nissan plugin. I am pretty sure it's the elm bt adapter which is causing this. Can someone suggest a good alternative, wifi or BT should be fine.

How do I check the sample rate on my obd adapter?
I like Wi-fi, as it should be faster and works on my iPad and Android tablet.

Checking PID Speed:
On the main screen of Torque, select "Adapter Status Info" when connected to the car. Look for "Adapter PID Read Speed"
The following users liked this post:
Presto (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Has anyone seen the new ECUTek dongle? Looks very full-featured, for Mac only.
EcuTek - ECU Connect

More info:
http://www.linneytuning.com/product/...interface-kit/

Last edited by Ape Factory; 12-17-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Got a response back from ECUTek already, direct quote from the email:

"Yes ECU connect will support a 2013 Infinity G37.

The ECU connect interface doesn't currently support programming over Bluetooth, if you need to program a new ROM image into the ECU you can use our laptop application and connect the interface by a USB cable, however check with your prospective master tuner as to what's available.

Once programmed you can use the ECU Connect app to change between maps defined by your tuner, for example different maps for 91 or 93 octane fuel for example.

Since so much is configurable by the tuner you should speak to a few about what they can do for you specifically.
"

So it doesn't completely replace the laptop yet but it sounds like they're working on it.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Got a response back from ECUTek already, direct quote from the email:

"Yes ECU connect will support a 2013 Infinity G37.

The ECU connect interface doesn't currently support programming over Bluetooth, if you need to program a new ROM image into the ECU you can use our laptop application and connect the interface by a USB cable, however check with your prospective master tuner as to what's available.

Once programmed you can use the ECU Connect app to change between maps defined by your tuner, for example different maps for 91 or 93 octane fuel for example.

Since so much is configurable by the tuner you should speak to a few about what they can do for you specifically.
"

So it doesn't completely replace the laptop yet but it sounds like they're working on it.
How can you thrust that tool when the manufacturers can't even write the correct brand name?

"Infinity" LOL
Old 12-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I'm sure it was a typo/auto correct situation. I think ECUTek has proven itself,
Old 12-19-2016, 02:29 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
with the ecutek we cant tune the maps ourselves by connecting it to a laptop right? only the tuner can change the parameters.
I really like the ecutek traction control which the 370z guys are raving about. they even have the ability to adjust the traction control from 0 to 100% by hijacking the oil temp gauge and using the cruise control buttons.

Since us G37 owners dont have the oil temp gauge, is it possible to adjust the ecutek traction control using a laptop ourselves or using the ecutek BT dongle thingy?
Old 12-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Not sure but I do know we can switch between maps so this may be a way we can change traction settings as well.

It's a bit on the pricey side for the dongle at around $350. You're really paying for the software via the dongle even though you can download the software free off the App store. If you already have a laptop and cord, it'd be redundant. If you're just getting it for the datalogging, there are options that are $300 less expensive.

As cool as it is, it's really more of a convenience device at this point. If we're able to burn in new maps in the future however, that'll change things entirely.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Anyone having luck recording oil temps using a BT dongle and associated program? OBD Fusion is not registering anything when I select the oil temp PID. I have my ECUTek cable sitting in my mailbox right now but I'd like to be able to just record it easily using my smartphone without having to plug anything in.

EDIT: Using Apple iOS
Old 12-28-2016, 12:08 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I've used torque with the nissan plugin and plx kiwi bt dongle to read oil temps before.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:11 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Yeah I can't use torque because it's Android only...and USPS has seemingly lost my ECUTek cord. It was in San Antonio on Christmas and it's now in Arkansas. F*ck me. We have undoubtedly, the worst USPS service here. I've had six packages go missing this year alone, two last year. I've never had a package handled by U.S. Postal go missing anywhere else I've lived. Ok, rant over.