Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

6mt question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
85K on the oem clutch on my z28 when I sold it. 22K on the G clutch right now.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:23 AM
Silver_HR
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just reached 125k and I've started getting groaning noises from the throwout bearing (I think) when clutching.

Either I'm really lucky or the previous owner replaced the CSC at some point (which I don't think he did).

I bought my 2008 G35 Sedan (VQ35HR) at 44k miles in 2011. I've just hit 125k and I've just recently started getting a groaning from the throwout bearing and am shopping for a new clutch/flywheel combo. The Clutch itself, the CSC, the master, are all seemingly working fine. I mean, the clutch feel sucks and is incredibly unpredictable, but it's pretty much been that way for years.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:23 AM
Bocian
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
My 5.5 gen maxima had 135k on the original clutch and no issues when I sold it.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:30 PM
1scG37s
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
my CSC was replaced under warranty at ~45k miles. the car drove fine, but made some funky sounds so my dealer finally relented and replaced it. i took advantage of the free labour and had them swap out the original clutch/PP/flywheel with a much fresher set i bought off a forum member. i also paid for the MC to be replaced, which is strongly recommended when doing the CSC to prevent contamination. there was nothing wrong with the original MC or clutch kit, i just thought it was prudent to do that while the gearbox was dropped.
Not really a high mileage story but a 6mt story nonetheless.

Purchase my 09 with 43K miles on it roughly 3 months ago. During the test drive I heard a whine from the engine. No clutched engaged it would whine like a supercharger, and once the clutch was engaged quiet as usual.

Asking the sales guy purposely dumbfoundedly (he stated that's very normal and made up some story about the timing chain) ...... Luckily I have a buddy who is a Nissan master tech and I gave him a quick text during my negotiations. Got a simple reply " it's an input shaft bearing in the transmission and it's oddly common, they mostly likely will need a new transmission since it's more work to repair and rebuild"

Used that information along with a few other minor issues to my advantage I was able to get the price I wanted and also a great deal on an Infiniti extended warranty (car was Used car certified ... hahah).

Took the car home and came back 3 days afterwards. The dealership gm, sales manager, and sales guy were a little shocked to see me back so soon. Told him I will need a new transmission because of the whine and question the certification of the used car on the sales floor with about 3 other parties looking at purchasing cars. That's when things started to get moving quickly.

A Master tech and service manager were called out to the showroom and we all went to inspect the car. After listening to the car for about a min, the master tech and service manager stated "yup input shaft bearing" and said it will need a new transmission or parts and labor for it to be rebuilt. They then walked around to the back and notice the temp licence and question how long have I had it from the purchasing date? The sales person stated only 3 days ago. I'm sure they were quite embarrass as it was a certified used car (with an RO showing all the details of the inspection).

I'm not sure what real thoughts were, but I was given a Loaner (fully loaded Q50H- AWD fun and fast car!) from the sales team for roughly 2 weeks so they can get the transmission ordered and in ASAP, another full inspection with two master tech signatures (not just a tech), a new key fob (car only had one), 3 free oil changes, and All season floormats (I fought for this during sales negotiation but didn't get it at first).

Now the car drives and shifts like a beauty!

BACK ON TOPIC
I do feel though my clutch is slightly soft after my new transmission and does take a little bit more of a steady foot to have a smooth disengagement, but then again it's hard to gauge it as i previously owned a Evo X with a stage 2 twin clutch kit. I've heard though that a upgraded CSC, a good solid aftermarket clutch and a lighter flywheel could last you quite some time if you don't beat on it (100K+ miles from what i read of other's experiences).

I hope I can make my OEM clutch last at least until the 80K mark.

-G Sedan Family =
Old 06-12-2016, 08:23 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Hahaha!!! Awesome story. Good job.