Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

6mt question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:51 PM
joeltender

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6mt question

Im curious how many higher mileage owners have yet to replace any part of the clutch system? (If any)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by joeltender
Im curious how many higher mileage owners have yet to replace any part of the clutch system? (If any)
What do you mean by higher mileage? I replaced my whole clutch at 88k miles with a JWT clutch and flywheel kit and a zspeed concentric slave cylinder
Old 05-28-2016, 11:05 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Eplaced my clutch slave cylinder at 18k miles.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
ill phrase the question another way.. at what mileage have you HAD to replace a clutch component..
Old 05-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
People have had the clutch slave cylinder (CSC) fail at low mileage.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:47 PM
joeltender

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by micafd3s
ill phrase the question another way.. at what mileage have you HAD to replace a clutch component..
That works too lol. Just curious how many have had zero/few of the notorious issues. Im at 48k miles and (knock on wood) none yet
Old 05-30-2016, 12:53 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm at 35k, no issues...at this point when it fails i would upgrade the whole clutch/flywheel system anyway...I'd like to get another year or two out of mine tho.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:17 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
my CSC was replaced under warranty at ~45k miles. the car drove fine, but made some funky sounds so my dealer finally relented and replaced it. i took advantage of the free labour and had them swap out the original clutch/PP/flywheel with a much fresher set i bought off a forum member. i also paid for the MC to be replaced, which is strongly recommended when doing the CSC to prevent contamination. there was nothing wrong with the original MC or clutch kit, i just thought it was prudent to do that while the gearbox was dropped.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:45 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
so lately I've noticed a huge lack of "bite" and it's barely engaging at a super high point in the release of the clutch. it still has the same power through the RPM band but it does not drive the same as when I bought it 5k miles ago. I'm at 31k miles now. I have a monster warranty. I know I complained about phantom noises before but this is unmistakeable and not a chance it's in my head. is this a symptom of CSC going bad? what else should I fix/pay for and demand be done at the dealer when I get this done? I want to go aftermarket for the clutch I think or do something better than OEM in some way.

I also need my 30k mile service done but I can't imagine just that is the culprit. what should I do at the dealer and what should I do elsewhere? I can't DIY. I destroyed a car (literally) doing something simple and my confidence is non existent especially on something I'm this in love with. thanks.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
so lately I've noticed a huge lack of "bite" and it's barely engaging at a super high point in the release of the clutch. it still has the same power through the RPM band but it does not drive the same as when I bought it 5k miles ago. I'm at 31k miles now. I have a monster warranty. I know I complained about phantom noises before but this is unmistakeable and not a chance it's in my head. is this a symptom of CSC going bad? what else should I fix/pay for and demand be done at the dealer when I get this done? I want to go aftermarket for the clutch I think or do something better than OEM in some way.

I also need my 30k mile service done but I can't imagine just that is the culprit. what should I do at the dealer and what should I do elsewhere? I can't DIY. I destroyed a car (literally) doing something simple and my confidence is non existent especially on something I'm this in love with. thanks.
Maybe it's your slave cylinder causing the issue, usually the clutch pedal sticks, at 30k is really low mileage for a clutch to go out unless they drove the car hard in the past but usually it's probably the slave cylinder or master. When you drop the transmission both have to be replaced advised by Nissan what I would do is go get an inspection done so they can test drive it and figure out what it is. If it's the slave cylinder I advise you to buy a Z speed concentric slave cylinder because oem tend to break and aren't as good. Make them install the part but obviously it won't come with a warranty but it saves you going back to the dealer to get it replaced. Good luck
Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Make them install the part but obviously it won't come with a warranty but it saves you going back to the dealer to get it replaced. Good luck
Making them use an aftermarket part for a warranty claim might be easier said than done.

If the replace the OE CSC with another OE unit it will only have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the part.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
I destroyed a car (literally) doing something simple and my confidence is non existent especially on something I'm this in love with. thanks.
Sounds like there is a story here Oil change gone wrong?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:34 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
ill get it Inspected. There is a Nissan dealer within walking distance but the nearest Infiniti dealer is an hour away. The clutch grabs really high. Like almost at the very top. Yes I know it's higher than most cars but there is little to no slack left when it finally grabs at all. Dropping a gear and rev matching (best I can) it slips instead of grabs so it's not a rocket forward like the 09 6MT was and now it just feels like there is no feedback at all in the pedal. So I'll get it checked out.

As for destroying a car. The thing was cursed from literally day 1. 2006 Scion TC bought the same year with 15k miles. Day I brought it home a huge tree branch fell and smashed the side pillar (A? B? Pillar? - all glass roof right above the passenger door). Got rear ended while stopped. antenna snapped off somehow and was $300 to replace so I never did. Car sat for a month while in a field exercise for the army. Came back to a critter that had crawled into the cabin through the crashed rear bumper and chewed everything from the seats to the wires in the dash. This is when I destroyed the car the rest of the way. I had worked repairing circuit boards and had a solid understanding of 12v systems I THOUGHT and could use oscilloscopes, multi meters etc. ended up completely frying my entire car. It started but that was about it. Sold it for 1/4 what it was worth at most and decided it was cheaper to save enough to get it done right the first time.

There is your bedtime story. And also why anything mechanical or electrical I won't touch without adult supervision. Body work, fabrication or anything that just ends up ugly if screwed up, all day. But more than that no way.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Bocian
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
My csc went out at around 80k, no warranty but I was able to do the majority of the work myself. I also replaced the mc but I left the clutch alone, it looked really good and budget was tight but I can drop the trans anytime now that I've done it before with a little help.
Get it checked, it sounds like it may be the csc thats going bad on you and once it fails completely, you may get stranded. And may I suggest the RJM clutch pedal? I installed it very soon after my csc fiasco. It does wonders for everyday driving and it does not push the csc to its limits like the stock pedal does, therefore extending the life of the seals In the csc. It's a win win. Either way, good luck!
The following users liked this post:
IracknBack (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shouldn't the clutch last the life of the car if you don't abuse it? No issues with mine at 70K.

Quick Reply: 6mt question