Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

New transmission or TCM update

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:32 PM
lokrain
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New transmission or TCM update

I have had my g for a few months, and noticed it has the common issues that most owners have with the 7sp auto transmission.

I went to Infiniti dealership yesterday and they gave me two suggestions,
1) replace current transmission with a brand new transmission for free under powertrain warranty
2) pay $130 for transmission software update (factory warranty expired)

Here's basic info of my g,
2009 g37 journey coupe with ~42k miles, 7sp auto

What are the pros and cons of both options? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If the new transmission is still on the old software it will probably end up w/ the same issues over time. Seems strange they'd rather offer a new transmission which is probably $2k or more over a simple software patch.

If they want to give you a free transmission I'd go that route and end up paying the $130 if & when those issues come back.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:50 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
But the transmission software is part of the powertrain, not sure I understand the logic of denying to pay for that but will replace the transmission.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Takran
Some Guy

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
That... makes absolutely no sense, but if they want to give you a completely free brand new transmission, hey. Why not? That's 42k miles that just vanished from your tranny. I'd be willing to bet it won't fix the problem, but like blnewt said, worst case you just come back later and pay for the software update.

Only con I can see is the car will be stuck in the shop to get the work done, which is a pretty small con.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (11-24-2020)
Old 11-22-2015, 11:36 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
software patches for the powertrain system update not only the trans software but the engine software also. this has to do with grade logic, engine load, engine idle, engine performance relevant to gear ratio of trans etc etc. since your car is out of warranty the warranty claim for the software patch will not go through warranty claim and the dealer will not be reimbursed for the software patch that gets performed. they can get ahold of the regional dealer service representative which is some bean counter out of college to okay a goodwill but that usually takes a day or longer. the only other option to play with the warranty rules is to offer up to have the trans replaced with a (reman) trans with updating the software that way you pay nothing. in addition if you get the trans replaced you will also get another 12month/12,000mile warranty with the trans.
blnewt (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:56 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Nice reply Crook.^^^^
Another thing to keep in mind OP, that's another 45k miles that you won't have to worry about a transmission fluid service.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:46 PM
lokrain
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the inputs and the in depth explanation of the software part.

@blnewt: The service guy told me that they will put in a brand new transmission with the most updated software version. Worst case, just like everyone says, pay $130 to get the software updated.

One more concern that I have is if this replacement will appear on carfax or autocheck. Also, will this trans replacement affect resale value?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by lokrain
Thanks everyone for the inputs and the in depth explanation of the software part.

@blnewt: The service guy told me that they will put in a brand new transmission with the most updated software version. Worst case, just like everyone says, pay $130 to get the software updated.

One more concern that I have is if this replacement will appear on carfax or autocheck. Also, will this trans replacement affect resale value?

Thanks!
Should have no effect, and like CrooknCastle posted, you'll have additional warranty coverage on that new AT. If it indeed comes w/ the latest software patch then it's a Win all around. If a new owner see that the vehicle has a newer transmission that's not a bad thing (as long as the vehicle shows well).
Old 11-26-2015, 12:20 AM
VQHAY

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
What are these problems you speak of? I'm not sure if Im experiencing that with my X coupe 7at

I have CPO warranty and CPO wrap elite.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:52 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
OP - go with the transmission replacement, as others have said. not only is having a brand new slushbox nice from maintenance and longevity standpoints, but you effectively extend part of your '09's powertrain warranty for another 12 months. the factory 6 year warranty must have been about the expire so this is great timing for you.

new slushbox, new fluids, new programming, that's a win for you. and carfax would not show this much granularity on their records. it'll just say "service performed", or "warranty work" etc.
KAHBOOM (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
op - go with the transmission replacement, as others have said. Not only is having a brand new slushbox nice from maintenance and longevity standpoints, but you effectively extend part of your '09's powertrain warranty for another 12 months. The factory 6 year warranty must have been about the expire so this is great timing for you.

New slushbox, new fluids, new programming, that's a win for you. And carfax would not show this much granularity on their records. It'll just say "service performed", or "warranty work" etc.
^^this!!
Old 03-04-2016, 08:19 PM
lokrain
Registered Member

******UPDATE******

Brought my car to dealership for transmission replacement on 2/27 and ready for pick up on 3/1. My car goes and stops so smooth now. I cant say it drives like new, but much smoother than before. Highly recommend to get the TCM update. Special thank you my service manager to offer to replace my transmission for free under warranty.

BTW, while my car was at the dealership, I got a 15 Q50 loaner. The car is so smooth and so comfortable. Interior is nice especially the seats, so soft. But, the car does not drive like it has 328hp. To me, G is still the best. Cheers!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:26 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lokrain
******UPDATE******

Brought my car to dealership for transmission replacement on 2/27 and ready for pick up on 3/1. My car goes and stops so smooth now. I cant say it drives like new, but much smoother than before. Highly recommend to get the TCM update. Special thank you my service manager to offer to replace my transmission for free under warranty.

BTW, while my car was at the dealership, I got a 15 Q50 loaner. The car is so smooth and so comfortable. Interior is nice especially the seats, so soft. But, the car does not drive like it has 328hp. To me, G is still the best. Cheers!
if only you drove the q50 in manual sport mode, you will feel different