Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

car wouldn't start/ battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 AM
esther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car wouldn't start/ battery problems

Hi all,

So I bought a 2008 G37 coupe journey w/ nav, etc. just last year. It was in good condition and all, so I wasn't expecting to have any problems so early on. Then, this morning the car wouldn't start and I needed to have it jump started (thanks to my neighbor). It's also 19 degrees outside, so I'm not sure if it was because of the cold, and I haven't turned it on in about 3 days. Or it could be that it's time for a new battery.. However, the previous owner already replaced the original battery with a NAPA battery..so I imagine the battery is fairly new. I've also read threads about battery issues being related to the emissions valve or alternator. Lastly, I read about the TSB "ITB 10-010" where the dealer has to "replace the battery with the GR24-series one..does that not apply to me since I don't have the original battery?

I know my questions are all over the place but I have no idea about any of this and would really appreciate as much help as I can get. I would take it to a mechanic, but I'm afraid they may try to rip me off since I clearly don't know a thing.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,017 Posts
This topic has been covered under several threads so read on. More than likely your battery just needs replacement. Colder weather, especially what we are about to face, is the biggest enemy for batteries. Have it checked by a quality, reputable location and go from there.

If the battery checks out fully across the board and doesn't need replacement, only then would I consider the other possibilities and proceed accordingly.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 AM
esther

Ok..thank you
Old 01-06-2015, 11:49 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by esther

I know my questions are all over the place but I have no idea about any of this and would really appreciate as much help as I can get. I would take it to a mechanic, but I'm afraid they may try to rip me off since I clearly don't know a thing.

Thanks so much!
Go to Advance Auto, Autozone, or Interstate battery. I believe all 3 offer a battery testing service, and they should all offer free installation. I know the first two do, I've never worked with Interstate myself.

A tip...with Advance Auto, once they test the battery and determine that it's bad...you can actually buy the battery online and select in-store pickup. "Why would anyone do this" you ask...I'll tell you.

Because Advance Auto has some of the strongest coupon codes in the industry. You can save 35% on that battery using coupon code: WD51A. Or a flat $40 by using TRT41, but I think 35% off the battery is a better savings.

Check out the link below:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=6550734

I've never done this with a battery, but I don't think that's a prohibited item. I have done this plenty of times in the past and saved a bunch on brakes, tools, and other parts. My most recent purchase was a $50 set of Rhino Ramps that were $20 off a purchase of $50 or more...saved a ton
Old 01-06-2015, 08:56 PM
esther

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Go to Advance Auto, Autozone, or Interstate battery. I believe all 3 offer a battery testing service, and they should all offer free installation. I know the first two do, I've never worked with Interstate myself.

A tip...with Advance Auto, once they test the battery and determine that it's bad...you can actually buy the battery online and select in-store pickup. "Why would anyone do this" you ask...I'll tell you.

Because Advance Auto has some of the strongest coupon codes in the industry. You can save 35% on that battery using coupon code: WD51A. Or a flat $40 by using TRT41, but I think 35% off the battery is a better savings.

Check out the link below:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=6550734

I've never done this with a battery, but I don't think that's a prohibited item. I have done this plenty of times in the past and saved a bunch on brakes, tools, and other parts. My most recent purchase was a $50 set of Rhino Ramps that were $20 off a purchase of $50 or more...saved a ton
Thank you so much! I'll definitely try advance auto. I had no idea where to start, but that's a good pointer. Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:06 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Thank you so much! I'll definitely try advance auto. I had no idea where to start, but that's a good pointer. Thanks again.
When it was time to replace the battery in my previous 06 G35 the Infiniti dealer was about $20 higher than other places that I had checked prices.
I had the dealer install a 700CCA battery and everything worked when I left including all radio presets.
They washed and vacuumed my vehicle while I enjoyed their bagels, cookies, and coffee.

Telcoman
Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Hi all,

So I bought a 2008 G37 coupe journey w/ nav, etc. just last year. It was in good condition and all, so I wasn't expecting to have any problems so early on. Then, this morning the car wouldn't start and I needed to have it jump started (thanks to my neighbor). It's also 19 degrees outside, so I'm not sure if it was because of the cold, and I haven't turned it on in about 3 days. Or it could be that it's time for a new battery.. However, the previous owner already replaced the original battery with a NAPA battery..so I imagine the battery is fairly new. I've also read threads about battery issues being related to the emissions valve or alternator. Lastly, I read about the TSB "ITB 10-010" where the dealer has to "replace the battery with the GR24-series one..does that not apply to me since I don't have the original battery?

Thanks so much!
Not a good assumption if you don't know when the battery was replaced.

Your car is going on 7 years old; 4-5 years is a normal battery life, less in places that get real cold.

Batteries are easy to replace but resetting all the codes is beyond what most auto parts places can do; I agree with telcoman about the dealer being worth the extra $20...
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (01-07-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:24 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
The original issues wasn't so much a battery issue but the vent control valve remaining powered and draining the battery. Once a battery keeps getting drained constantly it goes bad.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla

Batteries are easy to replace but resetting all the codes is beyond what most auto parts places can do; I agree with telcoman about the dealer being worth the extra $20...
This is actually a very good point. If the battery is disconnected for too long (measured in minutes, not seconds) certain information will be lost.

That being said, what's the worst that can happen? The power windows need to be re-calibrated? I don't think the ECU loses settings in a couple of minutes, but I'm not sure.

I was adding a grounding strap to my car and took off the negative terminal for the final connection. I made sure to touch it back every 2 minutes while I was working to preserve all settings.

The parts counter person at Advance Auto may not do this, and will likely take off one terminal at a time, and then put in the new battery before connecting the terminals.

My workflow would be to loosen all connections while keeping them on the battery still as well as the bracket that holds the battery down. Once I was ready to pull the battery out, I'd pull off the cables, remove the battery and put the new one back in. As soon as it's in, I'd put both terminals back on the battery to preserve the settings before putting the attachment bracket onto the battery.

So to the OP...if you're going to have someone replace the battery, you can mention this to them if they aren't the dealership. Ask them not to the let the car go for more than a couple of minutes without a connection to the battery.