Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Anyone has the Z1 intake plenum mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
great review... I'm getting the z1 intake power mod soon enough but i'm gonna pay for their manifold then send mines to get back the $200. That way my car won't be down for no lengths of time while waiting...
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 AM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
opening intake manifold?

can this manifold be open in half to get better access when doing porting & polishing on our own?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Synolimit

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
i dont have it backwards im not going by what Z1 post for there Plenum against the M370..the stock plenum is what im comparing the M370 with on my car...

the stock plenum is great down low and stucks up top..
M370 lacks down low but picks up mid-range and on..

My car stock plenum vs M370...any questions?

Is this a non tuned stock mani vs a tuned m370 mani though? Most dyno's I've seen where no tuning happened, the m370 picks up mid power and loses power up top.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Synolimit

Ice you going to clean it up at all? The sand paper they use looks very rough and I see some frays.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:43 PM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i guess no polishing service

Originally Posted by Synolimit
Ice you going to clean it up at all? The sand paper they use looks very rough and I see some frays.
i hope it's not as bad as it looks in those pictures. it must have been just a porting job not polishing or even use some finer bits. they probly took too much time to stick the Z1 logo. lol
Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Synolimit

Z1's respond to the hate at 370z forum

We wanted to chime in on this since you guys have some concerns regarding the roughness and methods used to produce these plenums. We have put in a ton of hard work and dyno time testing many different configurations to find the best performing modification.
We have been doing this work locally for over a year we recently decided to make it a service available globally. Before we decided to do this we tested 8 different configurations with back to back testing on the dyno to refine the port work we do. Targeting the most consistent, and maximum gains based around our 400HP package.

For our dyno testing reference it is worth noting that when we perform these test back to back but we put a couple pulls in between the runs we show, because the car cools off when we swap the parts and it has to get back up to temp to make the same similar/equivalent power.
We have tested smooth and rough finishes on the same ported out plenum to see if any gains were to be had and no measurable distinction could be found however the difference in labor time was extensive, a smooth finish with no power to be had would come at a much higher cost. We already spend 3 hours per plenum removing extensive material from targeted locations and then work to refine the finish.

From a plenum to plenum standpoint we have found that there is quite some range in the accuracy of assembly. Having worked with many of these parts now it is not uncommon to see some where the two halves are put together accurately and the runner unions are reasonably smooth with not much overhang or "lip", while other plenums will have a distinctive shift or twist where they are assembled. So each plenum is worked by hand as needed some need only moderate matching and porting while others need quite a bit more labor. In the end they make great power and we are offering with an exchange service to keep the down time to a minimum.

Tuning cars with the mod has become weekly occurrence for us here and the P mod has never let us down.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 AM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Z1's respond to the hate at 370z forum

We wanted to chime in on this since you guys have some concerns regarding the roughness and methods used to produce these plenums. We have put in a ton of hard work and dyno time testing many different configurations to find the best performing modification.
We have been doing this work locally for over a year we recently decided to make it a service available globally. Before we decided to do this we tested 8 different configurations with back to back testing on the dyno to refine the port work we do. Targeting the most consistent, and maximum gains based around our 400HP package.

For our dyno testing reference it is worth noting that when we perform these test back to back but we put a couple pulls in between the runs we show, because the car cools off when we swap the parts and it has to get back up to temp to make the same similar/equivalent power.
We have tested smooth and rough finishes on the same ported out plenum to see if any gains were to be had and no measurable distinction could be found however the difference in labor time was extensive, a smooth finish with no power to be had would come at a much higher cost. We already spend 3 hours per plenum removing extensive material from targeted locations and then work to refine the finish.

From a plenum to plenum standpoint we have found that there is quite some range in the accuracy of assembly. Having worked with many of these parts now it is not uncommon to see some where the two halves are put together accurately and the runner unions are reasonably smooth with not much overhang or "lip", while other plenums will have a distinctive shift or twist where they are assembled. So each plenum is worked by hand as needed some need only moderate matching and porting while others need quite a bit more labor. In the end they make great power and we are offering with an exchange service to keep the down time to a minimum.

Tuning cars with the mod has become weekly occurrence for us here and the P mod has never let us down.
Thanks for posting this. I will be installing them this weekend.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Synolimit

I'd still smooth it a little. I see frays on one runner. You don't want that getting into the motor.
The following users liked this post:
Dylan37x (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
I think you got that backwards. The m370 has a nice increase in mid range power but lacks the gains up top. The z1 mod increases the mid range up to almost m370 territory but you keep your power up top. So the modded stock one is the better mani now.

Your kidding me right? LOOK AT THE DYNO you posted in post #12!!!!!! It loses power where you use power the most with lowend/midrange, and then has gains at the very peak. It clearly even states on their website that its this exact results. Not only that, with their "smoothing" effect of their dyno results, the exact gains can be seen simply from tuning your car with different a/f ratios.

Absolute waste of money IMO.

M370 - Gain midrange and lose very top end
Z1 manifold - a few gains but mostly losses throughout the entire powerban except the very peak spike.

Last edited by 1cleanG; 03-06-2014 at 02:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 1cleanG:
huwee06 (03-12-2014), Luism (04-15-2020), WARAT (03-14-2014), ZOSTER33 (03-15-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Is this a non tuned stock mani vs a tuned m370 mani though? Most dyno's I've seen where no tuning happened, the m370 picks up mid power and loses power up top.

this is non tuned.. they would be no point in putting up a dyno with a non-tuned Stock to a Tuned M370 Plenum..
My Car is tuned now..but this dyno is the first few pull's on the Dyno with the M370 and only Raised rev limiter..i was running the M370 for about a year before i had my car tuned
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Synolimit

Originally Posted by 1cleanG
Your kidding me right? LOOK AT THE DYNO you posted in post #12!!!!!! It loses power where you use power the most with lowend/midrange, and then has gains at the very peak. It clearly even states on their website that its this exact results. Not only that, with their "smoothing" effect of their dyno results, the exact gains can be seen simply from tuning your car with different a/f ratios.

Absolute waste of money IMO.

M370 - Gain midrange and lose very top end
Z1 manifold - a few gains but mostly losses throughout the entire powerban except the very peak spike.
Drag racers use most of the power up top. So if you shift fast enough and don't drop below 6600rpm the Z1 is a complete gain for them over the M370.

I don't think it loses power in the midrange like you state. It gains power in the midrange vs the stock mani. The m370 is still the winner but at least with a ported stock one you come close to matching the m370. Again you still lose the midrange fight but you beat it in the top range. It all depends on what you want to spend, if you care about a measly few single digits in the mid, and what you want up top.

And I can't exactly see from that mess of lines which is which in the midrange. Funny you agree with me mostly but chuckie311 completely disagrees.

Last edited by Synolimit; 03-06-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Synolimit

this is non tuned.. they would be no point in putting up a dyno with a non-tuned Stock to a Tuned M370 Plenum..
My Car is tuned now..but this dyno is the first few pull's on the Dyno with the M370 and only Raised rev limiter..i was running the M370 for about a year before i had my car tuned
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but seems 1cleanG agrees with what I normally see for a stock mani vs the m370. I agree with you though I wouldn't trust the producers dyno. Glad you did your own.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Synolimit

Here's a stock vs m370 and what I normally see and like I've said...m370 has the mid range but up top it loses. So the z1 gets "some" of the mid back and keeps the top end.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone has the Z1 intake plenum mod?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Synolimit; 03-06-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Synolimit

i dont have it backwards im not going by what Z1 post for there Plenum against the M370..the stock plenum is what im comparing the M370 with on my car...

the stock plenum is great down low and stucks up top..
M370 lacks down low but picks up mid-range and on..

My car stock plenum vs M370...any questions?
]
Based on this I'm confused how you think the stock is great down low? The red never touches the blue anywhere on the sheet. So whatever the blue is that's the best mani period. Not sure how you think this.
KImChee (05-08-2023)
Old 03-10-2014, 12:35 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
got both the Z1 plenum and Stillen Gen 3 installed this weekend. Took about 3 hours, everything is straightforward and bolts on perfectly. The plenum I got was clearly from a 370z because the mounting screws for the engine cover are at the top instead of bottom. Engine cover still fits fine with no issue.

I will get a retune from Orisis this weekend and will update this thread again with hopefully some good gain.
Solidus (07-30-2014)

Quick Reply: Anyone has the Z1 intake plenum mod?