Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Limp Mode, Code P0021. Dealership wants $2650

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Byron Sexton

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Why should you be responsible for the fix If you had your oil changed at the Infiniti Dealership, and no one told you anything about it?

Seems to me that The dealership should be responsible and they should fix it on their dime.
Is the oil level at the recommended height??????

If you didn't do anything to the car between your last oil change and now It has to be something that they did...only makes sense because they were the ones that touched your car Last.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
The dealership will usually screw you on labor, hope you take this in to account before going to them to replace the part.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Synolimit

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I wouldn't let a dealer open my car door! Oil changes are done by kids off the street. You'll only get a competent tech for serious things.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Phimphasone

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this same issues once, my car wouldn't go over 2500 RPM's... come time find out it was just dirty air intake filters. try removing them and start your car and see if it rev's past 2500 if it does then bam! replace them and boom fixed! if not then.... GOODLUCK!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Dude!!!! don't pay anything this is an TSB for sure! They are trying to rip you off.

Contact Infiniti tell them what's going on, go to another dealer! this is not your fault!

Don't pay a dime to have this fixed.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
OP, you may want to check out this thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...and-p0524.html
Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 PM
mudpaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been chasing the same issue. Dealer wanted $400.00 for the IVT solenoid. I found it here for 1/2 the price.
2008 G37 Coupe: OEM Body (Front, Roof, & Floor) (HOOD PANEL,HINGE & FITTI) Replacement Parts
Since I have a mechanical background I replaced it myself. Unfortunately my problem persists. My next step will be to remove the cam covers and inspect the gaskets.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:21 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
Dude!!!! don't pay anything this is an TSB for sure! They are trying to rip you off.

Contact Infiniti tell them what's going on, go to another dealer! this is not your fault!

Don't pay a dime to have this fixed.
When will people realize that a TSB is not a recall.
Its a service bulletin hep other tech diagnose an issue.
The car is no longer under warranty.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
When will people realize that a TSB is not a recall.
Its a service bulletin hep other tech diagnose an issue.
The car is no longer under warranty.
When they take the car in at 78K miles and get laughed at when they say they want it fixed for free? I can let you know later this week.

And for the record I didn't find any such TSB regarding this issue. Did I just miss it?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
When they take the car in at 78K miles and get laughed at when they say they want it fixed for free? I can let you know later this week.

And for the record I didn't find any such TSB regarding this issue. Did I just miss it?
I was told by an Infiniti tech, as a side note, that if I ever have low oil pressure, to mention the timing cover gasket TSB.

There was a TSB, it was written s
o techs wont go blindly searching.

However, I have a 120,000 8 year Elite Warranty.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:37 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
I was told by an Infiniti tech, as a side note, that if I ever have low oil pressure, to mention the timing cover gasket TSB.

There was a TSB, it was written s
o techs wont go blindly searching.

However, I have a 120,000 8 year Elite Warranty.

I dont know of any regarding this...
Old 07-28-2015, 01:04 PM
acl128

2010 G37s Vert, 25,000 miles had same problem. Car went into limp mode and was not able to go over 2000 rpms. Error codes P0300 and P0011. Dealership first determined faulty valve timing solenoid but did not fix problem. Then determined camshaft timing sprocket needed to be replaced as the valve timing "chatter"/pick up wheel goes negative due to low oil. Covered under 6 year power train warranty. However, took about two weeks due to fight between power train and extended warranty companies. Extended warranty company said wouldn't cover due to Power Train warranty, and Power Train warranty argued that symptom is due to poor maintenance as they only had one dealership oil change at 15,000 miles. If you do oil changes elsewhere, keep your records.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM
astat4

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm experiencing something similar. My car is in limp mode and I actually accidently ran it with low oil pressure. It random died on me driving.. Nissan told me my engine was done cause it skipped it timing (it did). Warranty didn't cover it. So I retimed the engine my self. It turns on now and runs with the cam sensor disconnected . But it's in limp mode at 3.7 rpm. So this past weekend I opened it up again to retime it thinking I accidently you know did it wrong. Well my problem still persists of limp mode. All crank and cam sensors are new. I get a cam sensor code (p0340).

I've came down to my phaser (intake cam gear) is frozen. 2 master techs told me this would be my problem. The cam gear is stuck so it can't retard or advance timing.

My .02
Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM
newmarket

With a help of a few forums I will share my experience..

My oil was low and very surprised because usually Royal Purple doesn't burn off that much. But it did probably at least 1 quart maybe 2.. don't know how long I was driving like that but about a few days after I topped it off I got the P0021 code.. After extensive research through forums and on Youtube they said try an oil change first.. I did and the code was still there with same problem.. I reset my ECU by disconnecting the battery and guess what... everything was back to normal.. from some guy on Youtube he said that the solenoid or something expands when the oil pressure is low.. so what I believe happened is it went back to normal after I reset the ECU and with normal oil pressure..
Resetting the ECU was key..

Very happy now
Old 10-05-2017, 10:34 PM
blkceaser
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bro this may sound crazy but test your battery. I literally just had this happen to me yesterday. My car was barely moving in reverse and drive but in park, the engine would rev. I changed the battery( I don’t know what made me do that) and everything worked perfectly again

Quick Reply: Limp Mode, Code P0021. Dealership wants $2650