Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

R2C install

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
R2C install

Just got my (slightly used) R2C installed today. Love the sound, butt dyno feels a little better in the midrange but that could just be placebo.

I do have a question - my paranoia is getting to me: the air filters and boxes were already mounted on the tubes since it was a used unit. Everything was clean, I know I had the tubes vertical and flipped around a bunch of times and I didnt hear anything rattling inside of them, but again the paranoia: what if something was in the tubes and got sucked into the engine?

All parts are accounted for, I dont hear any abnormal noises, etc....but it just makes me wonder if its something I would find out about years from now, or if it would show up right away. Ive never seen the inside of a VQ37 so I dont know how "direct" the air path is, for all I know anything that gets sucked in could just sit there in the intake manifold forever.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If there were any large particles or debris sucked in, then what's done is done and damage would manifest itself sooner than later. I have a feeling nothing was sucked in TBH.

I ran my RSX Type S with an injen CAI and the filter slipped off for over 30k miles and didn't even know until I went to clean it.

BTW, I love my R2C's as well, what color finish? I purchased the black nickel chrome.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Donlon69

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be purchasing one of these. Just want to get everyone's feedback
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
G37-Pearl

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
something was in the tubes and got sucked into the engine?
if there is something you will know about it right away
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Donlon69
I might be purchasing one of these. Just want to get everyone's feedback
It opens up the car quite a bit. Let me expand below:

I have a stock exhaust and have generally been happy with this car sans the lack of low end torque, slightly wobbly handling and a finicky 7AT, so my lack of mods or desire to modify it are a result of being pretty content with my G. After three years of ownership and being on these boards I guess it was just time to make a few changes.

The stock engine note seemed lacking IMO, especially at WOT (merging on highways and what not). I didn't want an exhaust since I have zero desire attract any type of attention to my car, but I wanted something more muscular, something to do those dual throttle bodies some justice and still be discreet.

After much research between the Stillen G3 and R2Cs I decided to go with the R2Cs since it was a cotton filter that requires no oil, the company makes many military applications and looked fantastic in the pictures I've seen.

I was not disappointed. The install is fairly straight forward, I do wish the driver side tube had a longer breather outlet as opposed to moving the rubber breather hose away from the valve cover, but that's really it. The kit oozes quality and looks even better in person.

With that said, I don't have any before dynos, nor current ones with this set up. Most people experience a 0-13 whp gain over stock lol YMMV. However, mid-range power (where we spend most of our time driving) is very noticeable. The car is simply more responsive to throttle inputs at those RPM ranges. As I mentioned there is a wonderful growl that starts around 3500 rpm at anything above 30-40% throttle. The car sounds great at WOT almost like a damn jet putting those throttle bodies to work.

I'm very happy with the sound, mid-range performance improvements and aesthetics it added to my engine bay. We have some wonderful vendors here I suggest you PM them for a price shipped. I purchased mine from FBparts.

A great upgrade if you are currently stock.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The sound is awesome.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Zeav Ott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can vouch for this. R2C is awesome