Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Anyone get a CEL on a Fast Intentions HFC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have DRTPs . I love them. Only had 1 CEL and the computer said the cat went bad. Cleared it and no issues since. Ive got about 20k on them and only 1 code. Only thing I had issues with were that they said to use high temp silicone on the manafoild side to seal it. I had mulitple issue with that untill my dealer found a place in the UK ( I think) that sold a gasket made for our cars to go there . No issues since. I love my whole exhaust system!!!

Last edited by Buckeye G; 02-21-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckeye G
I have DRTPs . I love them. Only had 1 CEL and the computer said the cat went bad. Cleared it and no issues since. Ive got about 20k on the and only 1 code. Only thing I had issues with were that they said to use high temp silicone on the manafoild side to seal it. I had mulitple issue with that untill my dealer found a place in eurpoe that sold a gasket made for our cars to go there . No issues since. I love my whole exhaust system!!!
All FI setups come with gaskets now as well. THESE are new, as of just over a month or two ago. No one else produces them for these cars in the US.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Risky Guy - I want you to know I just reached out to Tony about this issue you brought up. Its either 1 of 2 things, your 02 censors are bad, or you have a leak. Have you had either of these checked out?

Please let me know if there's anything I can assist with, thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I sent you a pm, thank you for the help.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i went from Kinetix HFC to FI RHFC, no CEL
Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
So, went out this morning early. Had to bring the car back into the shop for adjusting due to a slight rattle (probably heat shield). Started the car and got a CEL. Was really cold out last night, but I don't think that should matter. Don't know what it is yet, but I'm gonna have them check it and post back here.

**edit**. Car is running perfectly fine. My gas mileage has gone down a bit, but I would assume that's from the fact there's more air going through the engine due to less back pressure. Drove it to the shop, and no sputtering or anything...running like a champ.)

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 02-22-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Just from reading forum posts, that there seems to be a pattern to HFC behavior on the G, where a CEL occurs soon after installation. But after clearing it, it doesn't return. Which leads me to suspect that if you allowed the ECU time to repeat its sampling, it might likely go away all on its own after a number of restarts and miles.

What's up with that?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Rad_Slinger

Only thing I can think of is too lean/rich?

Idk
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Rad_Slinger

Just got off the phone with the shop. Figured I'd pass along that cel info rochester.

Told me the code that was thrown was P300B Random misfire. He's pretty sure its because the exhaust isn't allowing any back pressure and the ECU hasn't fully learned to adjust itself for that condition. He has cleared the code and it hasn't come back after multiple starts. He also said a proper tune to the ECU would rectify this condition permanently. He said without a tune, it may or may not come back, but there definitely isn't anything wrong with the car or the new setup and there's no way to tell if it will come back, but if it does...just needs to be reset again.

Another thing he said was that the O2 sensors were a little loose. I remember seeing him tighten them, but apparently they loosened up. He tightened them up again. He thinks this might be where the rattle was coming from in the front. He said it might have been as simple as the exhaust heating up, swelling a little, and shrinking again when it cooled down. He said shouldn't happen again.

So there ya have it. He said he just got done, double checked all the bolts and retightened up everything, cleared the code, and everything looks great.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

IDK what a random misfire would have to do with the Cats or O2 Sensors, but OK. Also, "not allowing any back pressure"? What? But not-a-mechanic, which is a tired old disclaimer, but still true. All that aside, giving the ECU time to relearn does ring true.

I appreciate the feedback from your shop, but think I'm going to shut up now and see what other comments come... like maybe from a Moderator who's intimately familiar with FI products.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Rad_Slinger

The O2 sensor thing was the rattle. It had nothing to do with the CEL.

But I can't tell if ur srs about the back pressure thing. So don't want to sound like a schmuck trying to explain it to you cuz I'm not-a-mechanic.

Was just trying to pass along what the mechanic told me.

So, ima shoosh now as well and wait for said FI expert to chime in...cough...cough...lance...cough.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
But I can't tell if ur srs about the back pressure thing. So don't want to sound like a schmuck trying to explain it to you
All you did was swap cats. You didn't change the diameter of your piping, so the pressure should remain constant.

OK, now I need to change my disclaimer to not-a-physicist.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Rad_Slinger

Haha, physicist.....Well, the cats are a larger diameter, the cells on the inside are different, and are high flow. My understanding is that they are WAY different than OEM cats.

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 02-22-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Well, the cats are a larger diameter, the cells on the inside are different, and are high flow. My understanding is that they are WAY different than OEM cats.
Cell count is lower than OEM, which affects restriction of exhaust gasses, not velocity.

Look... I'm quickly getting out of my depth here. And it's not my intention to discuss the physics of exhaust pressure, because it was your mechanic who brought it up, not me. I'm a whole lot more interested in gathering information about the Fast Intentions HFC and the Check Engine Light.

Discussing exhaust "back-pressure" in a car forum between two desk-jockeys isn't productive.

I pick things up and set them down.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Rad_Slinger

Fair enough....and I'm right with ya...I just push buttons for a living.

Just what my guy said caused the CEL.

Quick Reply: Help Anyone get a CEL on a Fast Intentions HFC?