Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Anyone get a CEL on a Fast Intentions HFC?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by godzilla619
the title of your thread suggests that you were asking about the RHFC not HFC.
Indeed it did. Good catch. I've asked Betty to tweak that for me. An-d-d, there it is. Thanks, BB!

Moving on...

...I wonder what it is that causes a CEL after install? Purely supposition, but I wonder if the catalyst needs to be fired up once up front in order for it to be more readily effective down the road? "Bedded in", to use another automotive analogy. And if that's the case, what about new cars and OEM cats?

Last edited by Rochester; 02-08-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
dongagan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rochester
OK, Boss. Good for you. Nice story.
It's all about choice. I will see how I like it and go from there. I initially searches like you and that's why I purchased the FI RHFC. There was a thread last year under intake and exhaust.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Getting delivered tomorrow. Install by end of week hopefully
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Long story short, your going to need a tune.
I wasted so much time / money with fihfcs, I had 2 bung extenders welded,yet cel every few hundred miles.
It was driving me crazy, until the uprev tuner disabled the ecu not to pick up code.
What a hassle, I mean fi talks alot of how great his product is.
except for the cel, they work awesome. Plus the fact it's identical to berk.
Never saw anyone have a cel with Berks.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone with FI RHFC do their own install? If so, or if you're planning on it:
-How is it done?
-with what tools?
-How much of a bitch is it?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
I wasted so much time / money with fihfcs, I had 2 bung extenders welded,yet cel every few hundred miles.
It was driving me crazy, until the uprev tuner disabled the ecu not to pick up code.
Yikes! You were not a happy FI camper. Let me ask you a few questions, please.

The UpRev tune can disable O2 sensor analysis, really? How does that impact annual inspections for States that include OBD readings (like NY)?

Berk is selling a resonated HFC now? I don't see that on their site, and never ran across any reference to it online. What are you talking about?

And how are the two identical? The catalyst section is different, and the O2 extensions are clearly a different design.

BERK:

FAST INTENTIONS:

Last edited by Rochester; 02-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Rad_Slinger

So........

Got the exhaust this morning. And by chance, the shop was able to install it tonight. Install was pretty straight forward. I would have NEVER been able to do it myself just due to the cats...the Catback I would have been able to do easily.

So, here's the skinny. I disconnected the battery during the duration of the install to reset the ECU. Also had to disconnect the MAF and remove the intakes for one bolt on either side...PIA. After the HFC were installed and the exhaust was hung, everything was put back together, car was started........................

And no CEL at all whatsoever. Even took it on a 20 minute trip up the highway over the border to get gas. WOT is FUQING REDICULOUS...and I got on it more than a few times. Downshifting at highway speed, accel from stop...I did a mix and still nothing. No leaks, rasp, rubbing, clicking or drone. Cabin sound is a little loud, but I'm assuming that it will mellow out once broken in a little.

A little loss in low end, but midrange is better. I would assume a tune is in order......and will be happening soon.

So, Rochester.......nothing on the CEL aspect. I was present for the entire install, and even helped hang the new exhaust. Far as I can tell, it's a very well made product, fitment was dead on... even alignment of the cans was cake. ****, even the annoying idle exhaust ticking is gone.

Extremely happy....I'm still grinning from ear to ear, but we shall see what the CEL situation is next week after some daily driving.

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 02-20-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Yikes! You were not a happy FI camper. Let me ask you a few questions, please.

The UpRev tune can disable O2 sensor analysis, really? How does that impact annual inspections for States that include OBD readings (like NY)?

Berk is selling a resonated HFC now? I don't see that on their site, and never ran across any reference to it online. What are you talking about?

And how are the two identical? The catalyst section is different, and the O2 extensions are clearly a different design.they use the same exact inside parts.
Over the years I'm sure he has changed design slightly, Berks are better IMO.

BERK:

FAST INTENTIONS:
If the tuner disables the dtc, you will pass by inspection.

I even added headers later on, no problems.

Just so your not blinded the fi bling.

Your buying for performance, your going into a hassle with fi.

Buy what you want, I wish someone told me before I pissed $600 for HFCs.

Just like his long tube headers, $1200 gtfo, what did he sell 2 pair total?

Last edited by RISKY GUY; 02-21-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You had a good day, Rad_Slinger.

Jelly
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Rad_Slinger

Ya. Any day spent modding the car is a good day. Just hoping that what happened to risky doesn't happen with these HFC. So far so good though, and tony at FI assured me that there will be none.

Will post an update in a week on the CEL status.

Now, risky....any chance you had a bad O2 sensor? I also read somewhere that if you touch the end of the end of the sensor, it can give you false codes. Any chance that happened and it wasn't the HFC themselves?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Berks are 200 cell cats, FI has a 300 cell cat. Berk has smaller diameter piping then FI uses, which FI produces higher TQ and HP #'s. For standard HFCs, FI HFCs are very similar in price as Berks(~$500), where the Resonated HFCs (which BERK does NOT produce) are the added cost. Please please don't say that they are the same, because Tony has put in hours and hours of R&D into his products. Berk I have heard in person on multiple cars, which people swap them out pretty much immediately after hearing the rasp and drone they produce.

I'm reading your posts, and there's absolutely ZERO REASON for you to mess with the 02 bungs unless you're managing your A/F ratios from the exhaust during dyno OR having gauges installed inside of the car.

It 100% sounds like you have a bad 02 censor. I've done 4 group buys now, and have never had a single person have an issue with the CEL coming on. Tony 100% backs up all of his products.

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
So........

Got the exhaust this morning. And by chance, the shop was able to install it tonight. Install was pretty straight forward. I would have NEVER been able to do it myself just due to the cats...the Catback I would have been able to do easily.

So, here's the skinny. I disconnected the battery during the duration of the install to reset the ECU. Also had to disconnect the MAF and remove the intakes for one bolt on either side...PIA. After the HFC were installed and the exhaust was hung, everything was put back together, car was started........................

And no CEL at all whatsoever. Even took it on a 20 minute trip up the highway over the border to get gas. WOT is FUQING REDICULOUS...and I got on it more than a few times. Downshifting at highway speed, accel from stop...I did a mix and still nothing. No leaks, rasp, rubbing, clicking or drone. Cabin sound is a little loud, but I'm assuming that it will mellow out once broken in a little.

A little loss in low end, but midrange is better. I would assume a tune is in order......and will be happening soon.

So, Rochester.......nothing on the CEL aspect. I was present for the entire install, and even helped hang the new exhaust. Far as I can tell, it's a very well made product, fitment was dead on... even alignment of the cans was cake. ****, even the annoying idle exhaust ticking is gone.

Extremely happy....I'm still grinning from ear to ear, but we shall see what the CEL situation is next week after some daily driving.
Love to hear it!

If the tuner disables the dtc, you will pass by inspection.

I even added headers later on, no problems.

Just so your not blinded the fi bling.

Your buying for performance, your going into a hassle with fi.

Buy what you want, I wish someone told me before I pissed $600 for HFCs.

Just like his long tube headers, $1200 gtfo, what did he sell 2 pair total?
Performance wise, LTH are the #1 product paired with catbacks over on the 370 side. Its just that over here on the G side, no one is willing to pay for the added horsepower where as in on the tuner 370 side, everyone is itching for any HP/TQ #'s they can get.

Fast Intentions spend COUNTLESS hours on R&D for the headers, catbacks, cats, just as they are doing for their TT kit, which everyone can see is producing over 100ft lbs of tq then ANY OTHER TT KIT OUT THERE! The research put into the manifolds, turbos, piping, and paying attention to the fuel pressure #'s(not just A/F ratio, actual fuel pressure), they put the time in to do the research and get everything just right, which far surpasses them over any of the other exhaust competitors.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
Thank you, 1cleagG. I'm assuming your post made Rad_Slinger relax a bit, too.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
DRTPS? Um... would that be resonated test pipes?
DRPSs, he means "double resonated test pipes". This was a special order item, which we rarely do unless we have multiple inquiries.

So far, two members posted zero problems with the FI cats (of 6 months and undetermined time frame, respectively), and two members reporting an initial CEL that got cleared and didn't come back. And then there are two members who are either going to, or would like to, install them, thank you very much, LOL.

It's a small sampling, but encouraging none-the-less.

Truth be told, I was naively hoping for a whole bunch of responses like Sunny G here, and even then, for periods longer than 6 months.

But still, that was a good post. Thanks, Sunny.

I will speak for myself where I ran the Resonated HFCs personally for over 2 years. I had absolutely ZERO problems with them. This includes driving from MN to NC for Zdayz, and driving down to Miami and all the way home. It also includes 2 track events, as well as 3 auto-x events I participated in with them. NO CELs, NO broken seals, ZERO issues.

Originally Posted by godzilla619
the FI RHFC are relatively new, they only came out a little over 9 months ago. If you had asked about berks or kintetics you would have more responses because they have been out for years.
So how long has FI been selling HFC and TP for the G37, resonated design notwithstanding? Post #1 didn't specify RHFC, although that is the model I'm considering.

They actually are not new. They have been producing them for well over 4 years, which Fast Intentions have been making CBs for over 7 years now.

I have done a total of 4 group buys now for the Resonated HFCs, which there have been anywhere anywhere between 8 and 14 purchases in each of them. There are many many reviews out there, but 99% of the time when someone is happy with a product, they don't proactively come on here and write about it. Its the 1% that have an issue and write about it, which evvvvveryone hears about.

Again, if there's ANY issue with anything, Tony backs it up 100% and stands by any one of his products until the end. I couldn't ask for a better person to work with in representing his products. With that said, I hope I've been able to assist with any questions as well as customers and experiences buyers have had to me. I try to help out with anything I possibly can.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
Thank you for both of those posts, 1cleagG.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Rad_Slinger

Again, if there's ANY issue with anything, Tony backs it up 100% and stands by any one of his products until the end. I couldn't ask for a better person to work with in representing his products
One of the main reasons why I chose FI over other companies was because I keep hearing statements from numerous people like the one above.

Having personally dealt with tony, I can say nothing bad about the expierence at all. It's almost like he has ESP with the sound and volume people are looking for. I told him what I was looking for, and I trusted the recommendation on the package. Truth be told, I was relatively surprised how exact the setup produces what I was looking for. Couldn't have asked or hoped for a better expierence.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Anyone get a CEL on a Fast Intentions HFC?