Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slave, clutch, and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Slave, clutch, and flywheel

So I’m almost positive my Slave Cylinder is shot, so I definitely need to replace that. Because of labor costs, I figure I might as well bite the bullet and do the clutch and flywheel while the tranny is dropped (I have no clue the last time these were changed, or if it they ever were changed). The car has about 52K miles on it right now. Here are my questions; I would appreciate any input from people who changed out these parts:

Slave Cylinder- I’ve done a lot of reading and it’s pretty apparent the current CSC is just bad because of the shotty materials used for it. I don’t really want to get an OEM because I don’t want to run the risk of it going bad all the time. I am thinking about buying the aftermarket one seen here https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...-08-coupe.html To the people who have used this… It says some modifications are needed to put this in… was this a PITA, or should a mechanic be able to do this no problem? Also, will this need to be replaced every clutch job, or should it last a pretty decent amount of time?

Flywheel- Again, I’ve done a lot of research, and obviously the OEM flywheel cannot be resurfaced, so I will need a new one. The big question here is to go OEM, or aftermarket? My dilemma is this… I HATE when my car makes noises it’s not supposed to. It annoys me and worries me that something is going wrong. Obviously this is normal with a lightweight FW, and not damaging anything, but I would love some feedback to people who may feel the same way I do about noises, but got a lightweight FW anyways. Is the noise really that bad? Also, this is my daily driver (except in the snow). I’m fine with engaging the clutch smoothly, and stop and go traffic with the OEM setup, and I also put the less powerful clutch assister spring on. How bad does the lightweight FW really make daily driving, traffic, hills, ect.? I don’t know if there is a best of both worlds kind of deal, but any recommendations would be awesome.

Clutch- I’m not too worried about the clutch, I’ll probably just end up going with a stage 1, and I’ll more than likely just end up getting a combo kit with whatever flywheel I decide to go with. But again, any recommendations would be great.

Please let me know if you think I’m going about this the wrong way. I love this car… it’s my baby (as I’m sure it is with most G owners), so anything help would be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
isn't the slave cylinder covered under the powertrain warranty? i would head to the dealer and file a warranty claim before buying any parts.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

My car is out of factory warranty. When i got the car from the used car dealer, i got an aftermarket $2000 warranty that is a POS. they don't cover almost anything. Including the slave.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
isn't the slave cylinder covered under the powertrain warranty? i would head to the dealer and file a warranty claim before buying any parts.
No Slave cylinder is only covered under the bumper to bumper warranty which runs out after 4 years.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to replace all the parts that you need/want to replace. Here's my review:

Flywheel, clutch, and CSC review

Hope it helps!

Last edited by jon23; 11-03-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:27 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Tom, they redesigned the heavy duty CSC so no trans modifications are needed any more. There's mention of this on the Zspeed site I believe.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:10 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
This is just off the top of my head, so don't quote me on it -- but aren't the newer released Z1 CSC a direct bolt on now? No need for modifications...
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Southbend Stage 2 Organic clutch: heavier when I first got it, but I dont even notice it now (6 weeks). Grabs nicely, works great, would recommend. PS: I am stock, no mods.

Southbend DXD Flywheel (Steel, 24lbs): I got it due to price and the fact that it can be resurfaced later. It is noisier, I am not a fan of the noise when I am driving with no music. The noise is only really noticeable below 2600 rpm. Above 3000 rpm I don't notice a difference. With music on a moderate level you won't hear anything. The noise is due to vibrations.

After getting everything replaced I read up on resurfacing dual mass flywheels. There are a few shops/companies that do this and do it well. In hindsight, I wish I had pursued this option. I imagine it would go like this: drop tranny, remove clutch, slave, flywheel, ship it asap to shop to resurface, ship it back, put it all back together. I imagine your shop would have to be fine with leaving a car disassembled for some time like this.

I kept my old parts as I was curious, the flywheel didn't look bad at all.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jon23

Hope it helps!
First off, i think this link is broken.

I actually did read through your process though when deciding on the clutch and FW, and you almost hit everything i wanted to know, the biggest thing was the sound though. 2600-3000 rpms isn't that low, especially if I'm doing a lot of traffic driving. I love the idea of revving up faster, but hate the idea of people looking at my car thinking... WTF! Do you have any feedback about the noise and how you feel about it.

Also, i didn't see your review about the CSC. Did you get the heavy duty one?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Tom, they redesigned the heavy duty CSC so no trans modifications are needed any more. There's mention of this on the Zspeed site I believe.
I'll check it out on the site. I know all the posts on this forum still say mods are needed to get it in.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dough1397
Southbend Stage 2 Organic clutch: heavier when I first got it, but I dont even notice it now (6 weeks). Grabs nicely, works great, would recommend. PS: I am stock, no mods.

Southbend DXD Flywheel (Steel, 24lbs): I got it due to price and the fact that it can be resurfaced later. It is noisier, I am not a fan of the noise when I am driving with no music. The noise is only really noticeable below 2600 rpm. Above 3000 rpm I don't notice a difference. With music on a moderate level you won't hear anything. The noise is due to vibrations.

After getting everything replaced I read up on resurfacing dual mass flywheels. There are a few shops/companies that do this and do it well. In hindsight, I wish I had pursued this option. I imagine it would go like this: drop tranny, remove clutch, slave, flywheel, ship it asap to shop to resurface, ship it back, put it all back together. I imagine your shop would have to be fine with leaving a car disassembled for some time like this.

I kept my old parts as I was curious, the flywheel didn't look bad at all.
See, i don't know if i would get that flywheel. Isn't that pretty much just as heavy as the OEM? I would rather just get OEM (mainly because there's not a lot of noise), if I'm not going to get the revs out of it.

As far as the clutch. Stage one or two, I'm not to worried about it, clutches aren't really the problem right now. Mainly i just can't decide on the FW and CSC (although I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the heavy duty one).
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Go with the heavy duty CSC. There have been no documented failures of the zspeed hd CSC on any of the forums.

The OEM flywheel is a few pounds heavier that the Southbend DXD Flywheel. My readings suggested the lighter the flywheel the noisier it was. I didn't want to be chattering at every traffic light and thus I chose a flywheel that was closest to the stock weight and significantly cheaper.

I'll admit the price was the major motivating factor, I was quoted over a $1000 for a new OEM flywheel. The aftermarket one was half the price.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dough1397
Go with the heavy duty CSC. There have been no documented failures of the zspeed hd CSC on any of the forums.

The OEM flywheel is a few pounds heavier that the Southbend DXD Flywheel. My readings suggested the lighter the flywheel the noisier it was. I didn't want to be chattering at every traffic light and thus I chose a flywheel that was closest to the stock weight and significantly cheaper.

I'll admit the price was the major motivating factor, I was quoted over a $1000 for a new OEM flywheel. The aftermarket one was half the price.
Damn... This chatter issue sucks. I wonder if there is anyway to stop or reduce it, even with a lightweight FW.

Last edited by Tommy Gunz PSIU; 11-03-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by jon23

Hope it helps!

Sorry about the link being broken. It's now fixed.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by Tommy Gunz PSIU
First off, i think this link is broken.

I actually did read through your process though when deciding on the clutch and FW, and you almost hit everything i wanted to know, the biggest thing was the sound though. 2600-3000 rpms isn't that low, especially if I'm doing a lot of traffic driving. I love the idea of revving up faster, but hate the idea of people looking at my car thinking... WTF! Do you have any feedback about the noise and how you feel about it.

Also, i didn't see your review about the CSC. Did you get the heavy duty one?
I couldn't get the heavy duty CSC. Unfortunately, I found out it needed to be replaced when the clutch & flywheel were being replaced, so instead of paying extra labor and wait a few days for it to arrive, I went to the stealership and had to get an OEM one. Oh well...

As far as the chatter goes, mine does not make any noise above ~2200-2400 RPM, and it does not make the noise the whole time before it hits that range either. The OEM FW is almost twice as expensive as the one I bought from Concept Z Performance, and I just got used to "the noise." I believe the benefits (either financial or performance-wise) outweigh the inconvenience.

Originally Posted by Tommy Gunz PSIU
Damn... This chatter issue sucks. I wonder if there is anyway to stop or reduce it, even with a lightweight FW.

A lightweight flywheel IS the cause of the chatter. Get the OEM if you don't want any more noise than what we already have from the stock FW.

Also, using a different Transmission fluid than OEM, I've read it insulates this noise a little. I had already replaced mine with Royal Purple by the time I had to change all those parts, so I can't vouch for it.

Quick Reply: Slave, clutch, and flywheel