Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slave, clutch, and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Jon, I know the reason is the FW (not the reason, but i guess just the lack of sound absorption), but what i meant was i wonder if anything could help reduce the chatter (like the fluids).
Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

To anyone who uses a lightweight flywheel, how bad is the chatter? I tried looking online for an example, but can't really find a good one.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Gunz PSIU
To anyone who uses a lightweight flywheel, how bad is the chatter? I tried looking online for an example, but can't really find a good one.
The chatter isn't bad at all. If you are replacing your FW then a lightweight ungrade is definitely the way to go. The stock FW is heavy (24lbs), while the upgrade is only 10lbs. This frees up power across the rev range
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

I think I'm going to go with south bend fw and stage one clutch combo. I believe this is the same setup Jon23 used. Also i will be getting the heavy duty csc.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm going to go with south bend fw and stage one clutch combo. I believe this is the same setup Jon23 used. Also i will be getting the heavy duty csc.

Yeah, that's exactly my same setup. I've driven 1K miles on the new parts and they feel great. The clutch is not so stiff anymore and the engaging point isn't as low.

Show us your work when all is done!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Jon, I know the reason is the FW (not the reason, but i guess just the lack of sound absorption), but what i meant was i wonder if anything could help reduce the chatter (like the fluids).
A better trans fluid will most definitely quiet the trans down at idle and below 2500RPM.

We recommend Motul Gear 300 and is all we use now, It really quiets things up when going to a 1 piece flywheel. Fluid can be purchased here

Even with the new South Bend SS Street Clutch/Flywheel package the noise is very minimal and this flywheel only weighs 14.5lbs! We have it in our 370Z now, With the 24lb flywheel and Motul fluid the chatter noise is not noticeable at all in our experience.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

I forgot to update... I ended up getting the southbend stage 1 clutch and flywheel combo. Had it in for about 1000 miles now (I've been breaking it in), and it feel AWESOME!!! It definitely takes awhile to get used to the lighter flywheel. Not necessarily how fast it revs up, but more how to engage it without having the car judder and shake (in turn, i guess higher revs). I'm assuming it just because it's obviously lighter, and the force when engaging just isn't the same. The chatter it really not bad at all. I do notice it, but it's not God awful like i thought it was going to be. My favorite part is the pedal. It feels so awesome. It's the perfect amount of pressure. I don't know if this also has to do with heavy duty slave i got, but either way, the pedal feels awesome. Thanks to everyone at zspeed (shipping was insanely fast), and jon23 for getting me looking into southbend.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Also, i don't know if i should start a new thread for this, but since i got the new setup, I've been getting terrible gas mileage (i used to be at about 19 mpg,now I'm around 16mpg). So my question is... Could this be from the higher revs, and me just getting used to everything? Could it be from me breaking it in? Maybe it's something completely unrelated? Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

Also, i don't know if i should start a new thread for this, but since i got the new setup, I've been getting terrible gas mileage (i used to be at about 19 mpg,now I'm around 16mpg). So my question is... Could this be from the higher revs, and me just getting used to everything? Could it be from me breaking it in? Maybe it's something completely unrelated? Any ideas?
Should not have anything to due with the clutch/flywheel, Should be better with the lighter package. However, colder weather will play a part in gas mileage and will normally drop it a few points.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

You think 3mpg is common for cold weather though? I haven't had the car in the cold yet, as i only got it about 8 months ago. Any somewhat cheap mods to do to help out (chip, intake, exhaust, ect.)? What do you think is the best bang for the buck?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a jwt flywheel installed in my 350z about a month ago right before I got rid of it. That thing had so much 'chatter' I thought something was wrong with my engine.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

You think 3mpg is common for cold weather though? I haven't had the car in the cold yet, as i only got it about 8 months ago. Any somewhat cheap mods to do to help out (chip, intake, exhaust, ect.)? What do you think is the best bang for the buck?
Keep your foot out of it

Cold will lower MPG, I get 18 in my pathfinder in the summer 12-14 in the winter. I don't drive the 370 in the winter so I can't tell you on that. Cold engines use lots of fuel, esp on short trips.

Intakes sound good and will help slightly with more power and less restriction but overall they are not a "Cheap" mod.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

I don't mind dropping the 400ish for a good intake. It seems like it helps the car with power and mpg. Eventually i want to have a good "worked" car, but still good for a daily driver. Intake, exhaust, chip, sound system (already working on this one), ect. will all happen, i just need to figure out when, and what is best for what I'm looking at. Zspeed and myself will surely become friends lol.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

And yes, i do need to keep my foot off the gas. I think it's a bad thing that my break in period is done on the clutch lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

I don't mind dropping the 400ish for a good intake. It seems like it helps the car with power and mpg. Eventually i want to have a good "worked" car, but still good for a daily driver. Intake, exhaust, chip, sound system (already working on this one), ect. will all happen, i just need to figure out when, and what is best for what I'm looking at. Zspeed and myself will surely become friends lol.
Lots of options for intakes, Would you prefer a short ram or one that goes out behind the bumper? Short rams with shields are much easier to install and normally don't require a bumper pull.

I love making new friends!

Quick Reply: Slave, clutch, and flywheel